Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
son has breathing problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

son has breathing problems
When my son was two weeks old he was hospitalized for rsv. He had the same kinda of virus twice and now has to be put on a nebulizer when he has a cold. He is on pumlacourt and ventolin.
Also when he does have a fever he has had many seizures. My question is will he continue to need these medicines and will he always have lung problems. We have been taking him to our family dr,but I was wondering if we should take him to see a specilist?
What you are describing is most likely asthma that is precipitated by infections, at this time.  It may or may not go away as your son gets older.  It is not possible to make such a prediction.  About half of the children who have an RSV infection go on to develop asthma. In 2/3 of those without any family history of allergy or asthma, the asthma goes away over time.  In those with a family history of allergy or asthma, it is most likely that it will not go away.

If these symptoms are persisting and requiring more medicine to control attacks, it is a good idea to see a specialist.  This is worth discussing with your family doctor.
Best get him seen by an expert. It makes sense in the long run, it sounds like asthma to me, he is on the right meds if this is the case.

Me, I had bad asthma as a kid, grew out of it. Was a champion miler in my teens and twenties. Smoked in my twenties and thirties and now I have COPD!

Make sure he knows not to ever smoke.

E.

Thanks E for your input, I will take him to see a specialist I have also noticed him coughing more and have shortness of breath when the season changes Does this happen to you? I hope he never smokes I will discourage him as much as I can. Thanks Again! Anyone who has Asthma or Asthma like problems please let me know how you deal with it,and what your symptoms are!
Hi!  with asthma, coughing and wheezing are big symptoms, i have had asthma since i was 7yrs od, and i am now 32, and also smoke, E is right, make sure your child knows the risks of smoking especially with asthma.  Change of season will also trigger asthma attacks, especially in allergy season, and bad weather.  I know cold wheather always triggered it for me. its best to monitor it as much as possible, also a rapid heartbeat can also be a sign of an oncoming asthma attack.

good luck!!
Changes of season can be a slight problem, dampness, cold air, dry air + pollen casue problems. Modern asthma meds are very good not and should control the situation, make sure he is getting the correct treatment.

E.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker