Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
spirometry reading

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

spirometry reading

I have recently had a spirometry test and it says at the bottom :- Severa Obstruction and Low vital cannot rule out Superimposed Restriction, could you please explain what this sentance means.
                                         Many Thanks,
                                               Paijejo

I suspect it reads, “low vital capacity”.  What the entire interpretation means is that there is obstruction or blockage of air flow out of your lungs and that your ability to take a deep breath is also reduced.  “Severe obstruction” means that there is a lot of blockage of air flow and can be seen with Asthma and/or a disease called COPD, a cigarette-smoking disease.  When obstruction or blockage is severe that may also cause the “vital capacity” to be low.

The results indicate that you have a serious breathing problem.  It is very important that the cause of this abnormal spirometry be found and treatment with medication started.  With proper medication, the obstruction may be relieved and your breathing improved.

If you smoke you should try hard to quit immediately.   If you are frequently exposed to cigarette smoke from someone else smoking, you should get away from that smoke and ask that person to smoke elsewhere, outside of the house being the best place for him/her to smoke in order to help you.

Good luck
Dear Dr. Tinkelman
                    Thankyou very much for your reply, I recently had a HRCT scan, which showed Severe Emphysema, as a Doctor do you think my Spirometry test reading shows the right diagnosis?,Apparently my lung capacity has gone from 54% to 38%, I`m assuming that my lungs are not in good shape. My mum and her mum were the same as I am, they did not smoke at all, unfortunately I did, I gave up over 12yrs ago, so it must be hereditry, is it possible to be hereditry?.
                          Kind Regards,
                              Wendy x