Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
spot on lung

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

spot on lung

My mom has had an ongoing cough for the past 6 years or so. In NOvember she again went to the doctor and he again said it was Bronchitys. It did not get better so she went for another opinion and was sent for an MRI. The MRI showed a spot - and a follow up visit was scheduled. The doctor then cancelled the appointment. My mom was leaving for the winter - 3month - so the doctor said to call when she got back to reschedule.  She had to come back to town last week and made the appointment - at that time they told her they found the spot - and they wanted to test for lupus. They also did another MRI. They then called and said white blood cells were low - and they didn't know what the spot was but now want her to see a specialist - as the lung doctor conferred with a cardiovascular doctor and didn't know what it was.  A biopsy is scheduled for next week.  She has never smoked.  Why, if someone sees a spot would they leave a followup for months later? What does a spot generally signify?  The most common thought is cancer and if that holds true then the attending doctor would seem negligent in his care by not following up promptly.  What will this biopsy do?
Spots of small size and certain locations often lead to a conservative approach, watching and repeating the test. I believe because the appearance of the spot and the lower white blood cell count, your physicians are somewhat more concerned. That is why they have scheduled a biopsy.  This biopsy will take a small piece of the spot and allow a pathologist to determine exactly what it is.  At that time, you will have answers to many questions related to both the diagnosis and subsequent steps that are needed, if any.