Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
stabbing chest and throat pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

stabbing chest and throat pain

For the past two days I have been experiencing sharp, stabbing pains in my lower throat and chest.  At first, it felt like I took a pill and it got stuck, but I've been drinking and eating hoping that would flush it down, but it hasnt' helped.  The pains come and go about every 15-30 seconds and last for about 2-3 seconds in waves.  I can pin-point where the pain is and it's just above where my collar bones meet and then right under my rib-cage (both in the centers).  Even though the pains are not extremely severe, they keep me up at night and are getting worse.  I don't think that anything is stuck in there anymore, because I think it would have cleared by now.  (I take a mult-vitamin and the pill Doxycycline twice daily.)  I've never experienced this pain before and I've been using that medication for months and have taken vitamins for years.  What else could this be and what can I do to alleviate the pain?
It is very difficult to say what may be going on to cause these symptoms.  It appears to be upper airway in nature, since it starts in your throat.  If this is persisting, someone needs to look down your throat to see if there is any inflammation and get a better sense as to the cause of this problem.  If this is keeping you awake, it sounds like a significant problem.
This sounds like the problems I have. My dr told me I had chronic pleurisy. I don't have the the cough that goes with pleurisy though. When mine acts up, I get to the dr. I know I don't have to put up with the stabbing pains.
TeeK4/MS
This sounds alot like Acid Reflux to me. I have it and the pain is located in the throat and chest area...at first an antacid will help, but I would suggest seeking a Dr. to be sure. Try taking a strong antacid when it happens at night and see if that helps. I am no doctor, but this does sound like the symptoms I have with acid reflux!
im only 16 years old. i just started having bad anxiety and lite panic attacks but i had a sharp chest throat pain 2 nights ago.. n it went away quickly but today it started back up again and me having this anxiety obviously doesnt help the fact that im actually feeling something. i dont know what it is and i worry A LOT. and i dont wanna stress over it.