Respiratory Disorders Community
stinky sinus smell

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

stinky sinus smell

I have to say that I am a sufferer of chronic sinus infections. Sometimes I can smell the infection and, oooh boy is it nasty. Also, it is often a different kind of nasty. There is one posting in here urging you guys to pour a saline solution up into the sinuses in your forehead. DON"T!!! (As someone who has gone through many different antibiotics and probably over a hundred sinus infections, I know this well.) I was doing everything I could to prevent the next infection. I took allergy nasal sprays, antihistamines, then I started using saline nasal sprays. Not successful, I decided to pour a saline solution up into my frontal sinuses. I did this and filled them completely and then would drain them back out. What did I get for my trouble? I transferred a developing maxillary sinus infection up into my frontal sinuses. The frontal sinuses are bony and once infected they are difficult to treat as there is not much blood flow up there. Less blood flow means less antibiotics get up there. So, thanks to my overzealotry, I had a frontal sinus infection for about five years.
  Most of you either have physical blockages that make your sinuses difficult to drain, or, as in my case, horrific allergies that make sure you are pumping out bacteria-encouraging mucus in record style. I would suggest two ways of approaching this problem. Go to an ENT and also to a BOARD-CERTIFIED allergist. The ENT can look for fungal infection, nasal septum issues, adenoids (adenoids), poor sinus drainage. The allergist will look for elevated IGE and allergens that are causing your body to produce a perfect storm of mucus for bored sinus bacteria to start pumping out offspring in.The person who mentioned an ammonia smell is correct in warning that this may be an indication of kidney problems. I will also say that some of you are very upset by this problem and are letting it really get you down. I only wish the best for you all.

This discussion is related to Bad Smell in my nose.