Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
strange smells

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

strange smells

For months now, my nose clogs up , but when it opens I smell strange odors.  No one else can smell them.  They aren't particularly unpleasant, somewhat sweet, celery like or chicken broth type.  I have recently gone for a neck node biopsy without results yet to see if I have some bad disease.  All my symptoms originated in my nasal cavities with pain and tenderness in face, no signs of infection like green or yellow drainage.  All my drainage is like clear jello and mostly the nose just stays clogged and pain in face, head , neck, fatigue, loss of appetite, and some strange tastes.  I have an occasional tickly cough to clear throat.  No fever, no night sweats, no itching.  Just tired and worn out most of the time
These odors are commonly referred to as phantosmias, odors or aromas, without an identifiable odor source.  They can occur without any discernable cause but they also can be associated with tumors or, more commonly with benign nasal polyps.  The biopsy may reveal the cause but, if not, further diagnostic studies should include a CT Scan of your nose and sinuses and a complete, direct examination of your nose, pharynx and upper airways via a fiberoptic laryngoscope.

There are ENT specialists, at some University Medical Centers (i.e. University of Colorado) with a special interest in this phenomenon.
I kind of have the exact same problem.  I have cold like symptoms and my throat is clogged with mucus.  My nose is clearing up, but is still clogged a little.  I also have the chicken smells in my nose.  Hopefully it will clear up soon.  I think the smell is coming from all the **** in my throat and clogged sinuses.  I got a nasal spray and I am going to try to unclog my sinuses.  If it does not clear up in a few days I am going to see the doctor.  It sounds like you have a sinus infection, you should see a doctor and he can clean out your sinuses for you and give you some medicine.  Good luck!
I guess I now have more to worry about than my clogged sinuses.  My gram stain on my excisional neck node biopsy came back positive for lymphoma so it is on to the CAT and MRI this Friday to see if there is any involvement over than my neck.  I guess the sinuses will show up on the CAT.  Thanks for listening.
I have nothing more to offer except that I hope that the lymphoma hasn't spread, that your CT and MRI scan shows no more involvement. Keeping you in my thoughts...Sunny
I am soo sorry to hear about your results.  I have been having some difficulty with my sinuses, and I am researching for myself.  I am sorry to hear about your news, and I will pray for you.  Hang in there and remember knowledge is power, so find out everything you can about what you have and what your options are.

Praying for you