Respiratory Disorders Community
subsegmental atelectasis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

subsegmental atelectasis

I know that medicine is many times more of an art than a science, but I am perplexed and need some help on this issue.  For a few months I have been spitting up blood day and night (not great amounts, but it has been consistent).  I have also been very fatigued and have had a flutter in my chest.  My primary care doc did an ekg which was normal.  He was concerned about the blood and ordered a ct of the sinuses and a chest xray.  sinuses showed minor inflmamation but were otherwise clear.  chest xray showed subsegmental atelectasis of lower left lobe, otherwise clear.

The ENT I went to who also scoped my vocal chords, larnxy (all normal) but felt that i should have a ct of the chest and blood work.  My primary care doc said that wasn't necessary and that the bleeding was probably caused by minor inflamation (inflammation) of the sinuses.I suppose that someone's chest x-ray can be 'clear' and still have a portion of his/her lung collapsed?  shouldn't my primary doc also have mentioned that the chest xray report said:  "...there is a subsegmental atelectasis or scarring at the left base--lungs are otherwise clear..."  conclusion:
small area of subsegmental atelectasis or scarring at the left base---lungs are otherwise clear..."

UNLESS, that subsegmental thing at the left base of the lung is not a big deal?  Because the primary doc didn't tell me about the subsegmental atelectasis and just said the lungs were clear......I am concerned...He also wants to call in an anitbiotic.......

with the comments of the primary care doc, i think a patient might say, "don't need the ct of the chest or blood work"----but I as the patient want to be as certain as can be that nothing else is going on......since the blood (which I told him was ongoing day AND night) continues.

What should I do?  NOT have the chest ct and blood work OR follow what the ENT said I should do and have those tests?  

I am getting mixed messages from my primary doc who I like but also from the specialist he sent me too (who i also like).

HELP !