sudden gasp of breath
I get these sudden gasps of breath for no reason, mostly at night lying in bed; have had them for about 6 months now.  They occur occasionally, probably 2 or 3 times a week and it is just one gasp.   Any idea what this could be?

This discussion is related to Sudden need for gasp of air.
You should speak to a doctor about this. They will more than likely run a test or two, but it could be asthma. You may require an inhaler for times when it may get realy bad. I too have the same problem, but I have bronchitis about 6 times a yr, even though I am not now nor have ever smoked. IYour weight, daily activities, sleeping postion, and any household allergens can affect it or make it worse. Mine sometimes occur when I'm just simply sitting still and not doing anything.My Dr told me he wouldn't give me an inhaler though until it became a chronic every day issue. Mine only happens a few times a week and I can usualy get it under control in a min or so, it just occurs out of nowhere and takes me a minute or so to get straightened out.
What emtgirl said - OR...

It could be sleep apnea, since it happens at night.  Sleep apnea is when you wake up from a deep sleep - usually unaware, but sometimes aware of it, and stop breathing for periods of time, and then 'gasp' to restart breathing.  You might want to check with your dr. on a sleep study.  They're painless (the studies) - a bit annoying to be 'wired for sound' so to speak, but otherwise, no biggie.  If you find out you do have sleep apnea, you'll be saving yourself a lot of grief down the road getting treated for it, because it can cause heart problems, blood pressure problems and other things, too.  GERD is another thing you might be aware of.  Do you have heartburn, or any burning in yoiur chest when you gasp suddenly?

Gina-MI
I have an involuntary gasp for air. It happens randomly without any reason for alarm. In other words I don't start hyperventilating. I told  my PCP about it and he said it was a form of panic/anxiety attack. This was after he ruled out allergies, mold, and asthma. You should probably ask for a CT or X-ray of your lungs and go from there. Based on what you've described it's not serious. Hope this helps.
Did you ever find out I'm suffering this now I'm 22 and scared that I'm  been ignored I have been to doctors about 8 times to them saying that they have no idea what's going on I'm so scared this is effecting everything in my life I don't have panic attacks anymore I do have anxiety