Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
tenderness and pressure in eye socket

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

tenderness and pressure in eye socket

I get cronic (chronic) sinus infections and right now I currently have sinus pressure in the sinus area next to my right eye along the nose and below my right eye. I've had allergies pretty much the whole summer. Yesturday I noticed my eye socket felt werid when I would roll my eyes. It felt like the tissue or muscles that move my eye felt tight with some pressure. I went to the doctor and he looked at my eye and he said there was no noticeable inflamation (inflammation) and my eye appeared to be moving fine. The pressure or tightness is in the eye socket above my right eye mostly. When I press my fingers against my sinus cavity below my right eye the tightness or feeling of inflamation (inflammation) is not as bad.

I'm afraid it might be Orbital cellulitis or the beginings of it. Again there is no noticeable swelling of my eye, and I can move my eye fine aside from the slightly tight uncomfortable feeling in the eye socket. My doctor said that if there is swelling or I'm having problems moving my eye to come back. He didn't want to put me on antibotics just yet. In the mean time I've been doing alot of steam and taking advil cold and sinus. Do you think this is just symptoms of sinus pressure and no need to be concerned of something more serious just yet?
Orbital cellulitis is, fortunately, a rare condition.  When it occurs, the most common causes are sinusitis and lid or face infection. You can see from the information below, the signs and symptoms of orbital cellulitis and the information you have provided suggests that these signs and symptoms, including fever, are not present.  This, plus the lack of progression or worsening suggest that you do not have orbital cellulitis.  And, clearing of the green drainage suggests that the sinus infection is subsiding.

However, should any one of these signs or symptoms develop, you should contact your doctor immediately, regardless of the time of day.  In any situation where there is involvement of a vital organ, in this instance your eye, both you and your doctor should err on the side of safety, whatever that may entail.

The following is taken directly from:  
Yanoff & Duker: Ophthalmology, 3rd ed.
Copyright © 2008 Mosby, An Imprint of Elsevier

ORBITAL CELLULITIS
Key Points
The major causes of orbital cellulitis are sinusitis (58%), lid or face infection (28%), foreign body (11%), and hematogenous (4%).[60] Staphylococcus and Streptococcus are the most common causative organisms in adults, Haemophilus influenzae in children. Less common organisms are Pseudomonas and Escherichia coli.
Orbital symptoms are pain, lid edema and erythema, chemosis, and axial proptosis if diffuse disease occurs or axial displacement (of the orbit) if an abscess forms. Decreased ocular motility is common, and intraocular pressure may be elevated. Systemic symptoms may include malaise and fever.
The warning signs of orbital cellulitis are a dilated pupil and marked ophthalmoplegia (weakness of one or more of the muscles that control eye movement).

Orbital Imaging
Diffuse orbital infiltrate is seen, often with opacification of adjacent sinuses.
Treatment and Prognosis
In children, treatment is with systemic antibiotics; sinus drainage is needed in only 50% of cases. In adults, the drainage of sinuses and abscesses may be needed in 90% of cases.
The prognosis is very good with prompt antibiotic therapy and surgical drainage when indicated.
I should add that I did have some green stuff coming out of my nose a few days ago but today when I blew my nose after the steam it was all clear stuff coming out. I haven't had a fever at all either. So right now it is all just inflamation (inflammation) of my ethnoid and maxillary sinus area and inflamation (inflammation) around my eye socket but no swelling and I can move my eye normally. Because the sinuses are so close could it just be simple inflamation (inflammation) that is affecting my eye?
I heard that with Ethmoid inflamation (inflammation) it is not uncommon to feel pressure in the corners of your eye because the sinus cavity is right next to it. Is this true?

That is really what the sensation was, it was pressure. I thought tightness because it was uncomfortable when I looked up and rolled my eye. But my sinuses are starting to feel alot better and I don't feel that pressure so much in my eye area anymore. I went to the doctor today to get some nasal spray and I think I'll probably get surgery to fix my deviated septum. My sinus infections are always the worst on the side where I broke my nose. So I don't think it is at all a coincidence.
This exxercise will help your eyes and sinuses and will ease your breathing, as both nostrils get used.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.