Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
thoracic outlet decompresion

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

thoracic outlet decompresion

hi i had thoracic outlet decompresion op in october 2012 now i am haveing the weakness in the left arm again and my pulse drops when my arm is raisedthey are talking that i may need an op from under my arm and taking a rib out but can you tell me does the weakness make your leg feel heavy too i will find out in september about the op but dont know much about the op.
You may want to check the following Mayo Clinic web-site for more information about this condition:  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/DS00800

The answer to your second question is, No, the “weakness” should not make your leg feel achy or “heavy.”

Surgery for this syndrome is relatively uncommon and that means that the majority of thoracic surgeons who perform this procedure do not have much experience with the procedure.  It is worrisome that your symptoms have recurred in less than a year and this suggests that your situation may be more complex than most.  Therefore, I suggest that, before proceeding with a second surgery, you request a second opinion.  Your surgeon may be quite qualified and may have done your surgery in an exemplary manner but it can often be informative, both to you and to your surgeon, to have another physician assess your current situation in an independent fashion.  No one should be offended by this request.

Your doctor may be in a good position to recommend another qualified surgeon but, if not, you yourself can call the Surgery Department at the nearest Academic Medical Center such as one closely affiliated with a Medical School or one with a national reputation, such as the Mayo Clinic.

Good luck.