Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
throat irritation and cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

throat irritation and cough

Hello my sister wants me to ask a question for her since I was on this board allready.  She has this irritated feeling in her windpipe around where the shoulder bones meet the throat area and this irritated feeling makes her cough alot and in the mornings she coughs up this thick yellow mucus alot.   No blood in it though.      her cough happens when she breaths in because the air going in is that irritates her windpipe the most.  It also sounds like she's wheezing during the coughs because she says she is "coughing at the bottom of her lungs"

Her chest xray  ABG and pulmonary tests were negative

Your help is most appreciated
The first step is to find the source of her mucus.  It could be her nose or sinuses.  If her cough producing yellow mucus is chronic, this could be the result of a chronic lung disease.  She could have what is called bronchiectasis, with or without cystic fibrosis.  Once again if this has been going on for several months or more, she should see a pulmonary specialist.
I too have a similar feeling in my throat.  I do not cough mucas though.  I have a lot of post nasal drip as well as acid reflux that seems to be bothering my voice box and wind pipe.  The sensation in my throat, where you described, when really bad makes me feel like I want to cough.  Maybe she wants to check into acid reflux, the coughing is a sign of acid reflux . . . I can not feel an acid reflux symptoms. it is called "silent" .  .. and possibly allergies?
A related discussion, chronic cough in throat was started.
A related discussion, irrated throat was started.