Respiratory Disorders Community
to those with Emphysema

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

to those with Emphysema

i just found out today that i have  Emphysema,i am only 32,i am just wondering what other symptoms you guys have with it? thanks
I see that you are quite young at 32, have the doctors run a test called Alpha 1 antitrypsn deficiency? I ask this because you are so young, it isn't common to see emphysema in people your age. Alpha 1 is inherited and does cause emphysema as well as other problems depending on the mutation. The test itself is a blood test that your doctor can order for you.
I don't have emphysema, but do understand how it feels to have shortness of breath, coughing etc. What are your symptoms at this time? I am sure that they are what made you go see a doctor in the first place right?
With the right treatment, the symptoms can be controlled...I have asthma, bronchiectasis (due to atypical CF) and am on meds to help with the wheezing and to decrease infections. I am on Flovent, Singulair, Xopenex, Pulmozyme and alternating months of TOBI (inhaled tobramycin for chronic pseudomonas infection).
I am sure that all of this must be overwhelming to you at times..any new diagnosis is. Keeping you in my thoughts, Sunny