Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
trach and and feeling like i cant get enough air

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

i have sleep apnea and recently had a trach put in on 10-10-06 and i'm still having problems, i get out of breath when i walk at a steady pace or excert myself in any way like tie my shoes, when i lay down anxiaty over welms me and i cant sleep, i presently have a 8 id by 11 od trach and i have made all these symptoms know to my doctor and all he has done is try diffrent trachs, the ones he has put in the finistration doesn't line up properly with my tracha so i cant talk when he puts them in,when i clean my trach my stoma closes quikly and i can't get air through my mouth or nose, i also have a chronic cough now with spittle that has aclear but very thick sticky vicosity, i have a 22 inch neck and a very deep stomah aprox. 70 mm, should i consult another doctor???? what other answers are there for my condition? i have tried the cpap,bipap and autopap with no success. the combination of being out breath all the time and no sleep are about to push over the edge, PLEASE HELP AND TRY AND ANSWER AT LEAST SOME OF MY QUISTIONS
This is a very complicated problem and needs medical attention.  If you are not getting satisfaction from your current physician, I would discuss your concerns with him and if this does not help resolve the problems, see another physician.  To get to resolve some of these issues, a careful examination and determination of the role the trach tube is playing are needed.  These require a direct examination.

good news i am having a montgomery (by boston medical) long term cannula put in this afternoon it is adjustable and is a implant silcone gradde material and incourages skin growth, most of all it will have an I.D. of 10 which i hope will improve my breathing.

what is really amazing was i did the research and gave it to my doctor, he hisitated at first but took the info and researched it and got excited and "said that it is what weve been looking for" this is proof you just don't have to except what your doctors says but that you should be able to work as a team to reach the ultimate goal which is to get you (the patient) well!!!!!!!!
Hi there! I too am trached, different reasons but finding the right type of trach is key. I too tried many types before I was okay with what the docs put in. I am now on a Shiley #6 with disposable inner cannulas. Docs did try the Bovona trach without an inner cannula...big mistake. My mucous is so thick, I plugged my trach daily! I literally had to be bagged and lavaged aggressively to loosen up the plugs (I was later diagnosed CF, explained the mucous problem) I asked to be switched to the Shiley, at least if I plugged up the cannula, I could change it out without disturbing the outer cannula.
I pray that your new change in trachs does indeed help your breathing and other issues. Please keep us updated. Hugs, Sunny :)