Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
trachael malasia

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

trachael malasia
My grandson,  who is now 3 months,  has been diagnosed with trachael malasia since birth.  I would like to know about what age do the children grow out of it ? Also,  is this a deadly condition ?  He has moments where he struggles to breath.  Is this somthing new ?          

thank you,
                                                     recee  
Most children show signs of "growing out of it", such as no longer wheezing, by age 3 years.  It is not a deadly condition and his breathing should steadily improve as he ages.  The prognosis is described by experts as, excellent.  This is not something new but more has been written about it in recent years.

Good luck.
recee,
my son also has tracheomalacia and is 23 months old now. he was diagnosed at just shy of 3 months old.  they are SUPPOSE to outgrow it from 18-24 months or some say 3-5 years.  depending on the severity of the condition warrants his outcome.  i also have a question posted about him.  i am a licensed practical nurse and had to fight with the old peds dr to get him checked out and dx but it took 21 months to get a proper dx that came from his ent dr so of course i changed peds after 2 er visits and 1 hospitalization.  he kept giving him the wrong breathing txs which i questioned him on and he got upset about.  come to find out i had been right confirmed by his lung dr that he shouldn't of had them.  do NOT give the baby albuterol or pulmicort!  my son is on atrovent as needed when he has his breathing spells.  i have done HOURS upon HOURS of research on this and been through the ringer trying to get him thoroughly checked out.  thank god we now have a good general dr, ent dr, and lung dr.  he will need to have a ct scan of his chest, see a cardiologist and lung dr.  my son also had a severe innominate artery compression of trachea upon ct scan.  need ANY help let me know.
How is your son doing? Did he grow out if it? My son was also diagnosed with the same condition, but other than a croup like cough he doesn't have any complications that we have noticed. You had mentioned that you were concerned about your son pulling his legs to his chest when he slept, is there a link between that and innominate artery compression? My son has done that since around 2 months. Please email me at pluto.***@****.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker