Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
transient sob

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

transient sob

Im 27, otherwise healthy, non smoker, do not drink and while i am not athletic, amd not in bad shape.  I have noticed for the past few months that on occasion, sometimes for a day, somtimes for hours and somtimes on and off for a week i will become short of breath.  The feeling is more in my throat i think, and it almost feels as if when theis becomes noticeable, my throat tightens a bit and makes it feel harder or labored to take a breath.  This only happens on inspiration, not on exhaling.  I do not suffer any ill affects from it other than some anxiety after it begins.  Another odd thing is that it seems sometimes when it is particularly bad and im aware of the breathing, that when i try to force deeper breaths or upon inhalation, i sometimes notice what seems to be a palpitation.  This is not all the time, only occasionally.  Also, upon going to the er recently for one of these episodes, i was experiencing this sob mildly but had had a couple of plapitations, and when they checked my o2 levels by putting the meter on my finger, she said i was getting plenty of oxygen, she in fact said i couldnt be getting much more.  My question is, does anything other than chronic stress(as this happens not during acute anxiety most often) cause these on again off again symptoms, and does the fact that the o2 during a mild one indicate that it is in my head, and if i was in fact having something going on with my lungs or otherwise, my sob would be followd with a lower 02 reading, backing up the sob feeling.  Finally, I have no history of any bronchial problems, no asthma.
It is possible that your symptoms are a reflection of chronic stress, either with or without vocal cord dysfunction (VCD).  While breathing in the vocal cords should be open so that air can get into the lungs.  With vocal cord dysfunction, the vocal cords close while breathing in.  Upper respiratory infections, fumes, odors, cigarette smoke, singing, emotional upset, post-nasal drip and exercise may trigger VCD.  Sometimes the trigger is not known.

The normal oxygen readings do not exclude a problem with your throat or lungs.  You should see your doctor for further testing.  Testing for VCD needs to be done while you are having symptoms.  Breathing tests may be normal, but the
Have you visited a Pulmonologsist (lung doc), and an ENT (Ear, nose & throat doc), to help you find out for sure what you have?

If you are anywhere near National Jewish Medical & Research Center, in Denver, CO, you could also be seen there, to find out whether you might have VCD (Vocal Cord Dysfunction), alone, or in addition to other problems.

My husband and I found Nat'l Jewish to be the best medical center we ever experienced. We each were quickly and accurately diagnosed there, (with VCD) and I recommend them to you.

If you can't go there, you can call the LUNG LINE nurses, at 1-800-222-LUNG(5864), to get more ideas about what to do next.

Good luck to you.

Sincerely, Concerned lady
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
A related discussion, 1/7 difficulty on inspiration was started.