Respiratory Disorders Community
transvaginal hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

transvaginal hysterectomy

I suffer painful fibroids and at the moment receiving Zolodex injections which are only licencened for up to 6mths. I have been offered the option of a transvaginal hysterectomy but I don't know what to do.Apparently, fibroids shrink during the menopause and as I am 49 next birthday, should  I  put myself through this op. Many thanks.
i had a transvaginal hysterectomy about 17 yrs. ago. i was approximately 34 at the time. i was in the early stages of carcinoma cervical cancer. honestly, the transvaginal hysterectomy was not that painful etc at all. at least not for me anyway. i am sorry i had cancer, but since the hysterectomy, these 17 yrs. i have felt good female wise. i still have my ovaries. so, i have been through the menopause process in recent yrs. i am 51. the only thing about the hysterectomy, was that i had hot flashes on and off for years. many say you cannot have hot flashes with a partial hysterectomy. i say different as i have been there. just my experience. i understand being 49 and wondering if you need this surgery. but if the injections are only licensed for 6 mths. and menopause can go on for some years, then i would think about it. plus, there will be the pain of the fibroids. do some research into it. then, possibly think about a second opinion. i was diagnosed with a lung disease last year by my family doctor. i asked for a second opinion. we have that right. it is our bodies and our health. take care.
Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Sorry to hear you had cervical cancer but thankfully it was caught in it's early stages. My fibroids are pretty painful when not on Zolodex ( I was on them last year for 6 mths ). I don't think I will be allowed any more. I have an appt. at gynae out-patients at the end of this month so I will ask about the op. I hope you were happy with the second opinion re your lung disease and that you are alright. Take care.