Respiratory Disorders Community
trouble breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

trouble breathing

For the past week or so now i feel like im not getting enough air. Also it feels like i cant take a deep breath, and my breast bone hurts when i take a breath in. I have no weezing or congestion or anything. Had a chest xray and they said that look excellent. Chest seems to hurt or ache. Also was checked out for lung clot, and they didnt find one. Causing me alot of discomfort.
I have the same problem, posted a questiom, never got an answer. Just to clear it up, is it when you breathe it almost feels like the air is getting stuck and im not getting a deep breath. I constantly yawn even though im not tired in attempt to catch my breath almost. I also don't have chest pains or wheezing, so it must not be asthma. Its very frustrating.
Hi guys,

I have had the same thing for about 8-10 weeks now, and it's getting progressively worse. I am constantly trying to get a deep breath, and trying to yawn all the time to get that satisfying intake of air. It's SO annoying. I am in the process of tyring to work it out. I have had a blood test, blood clot in lung test, asthma tests, yet to find anything.
My doc said that it could be anxiety (but in my case I'm not stressed one little bit) so I doubt that. Sometimes I think i get anxiety once its happening, because I tend to panic that I can't breathe properly. The path that I'm going down is possibly low iron - anemia related. Apparently if there is not enough iron your blood cells that carry oxygen can be affected? Or something along those lines. I am going back to docs this week so if i hear any interesting or helpful info I will let you know. It's SO annoying. Hang in there - hopefully we can all find the answer.
The Yog Pranayam (breathing exercises) will  help you relax and also help with the breathing difficulties.You will notice benefits in days and the problem will go away over the longer term.The extra oxygen getting into the blood helps very much.
Initially do kapalbhati and anulom vilom, and then when your breathing improves, do all the the pranayams in order, as described. Come back to report your progress, so others can benefit.
Build up your timing gradually. If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and hold your head steady. Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Age over 15 years -do this for 10 to 20  minutes twice a day.
Age under 15 years -do this for 5 to 10  minutes twice a day.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Age over 15 years -Repeat this cycle for 10 to 20  minutes twice a day.
Age under 15 years -Repeat this cycle for 5 to 10  minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times

Once you are better, continue the pranayam once a day.
Be patient, as the benefits will show up gradually.Only by doing you will benefit
and feel good because you are helping your body.Those who say I have tried everything....
will be amazed at the result of doing pranayam.