Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
trouble breathing

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

trouble breathing

For a couple days I have been having trouble breathing. I can inhale normally but somethings feels off about my natural exhale, like the duration is shortened than normal. I'm 19 years old and I have been smoking (marijuana) throughout highschool and college. I have also been coughing for the past 2 months, with mucus (sometimes brown) coming out sometimes. I have complete stopped smoking since last week. I'm worried I might have COPD, however I can exercise normally.  My troubled breathing occurred a day after my chest workout as well.
What you describe is smoking induced bronchitis.  That you would experience abnormal breathing and persistent cough from smoking marijuana is a warning sign that your lungs, specifically your bronchial tubes are sensitive to the irritant effects of the smoke and that, should you continue to smoke any type of cigarette, you will be at an increased risk of developing chronic, irreversible lung disease (usually referred to as COPD and/or emphysema).  That you “can exercise normally” does not contradict any of the preceding.

It is highly unlikely that you would have developed COPD at your age but there is a form of emphysema that is inherited and can lead to COPD/emphysema at an early age.  You should stop smoking immediately, have a blood test performed for this condition of precocious emphysema and have pulmonary function testing performed by your doctor, when your symptoms clear.  What you have experienced is a quite serious matter and an opportunity for you to avoid having chronic lung disease at an early age.

Good luck
I also like to note that I don't experience any chest pain.