undiagnosed chest infection?
For the last couple of years, I have had slight pain in the lower part of my chest at the back.  During the winter months I have a debilitating cough which will last from september to about april.  The cough is mostly dry and once I start I can't stop, especially first thing in the mornings.  The pain in my chest has increased over the last couple of days, which is my concern.  I have frequent night chills and sweats, am experiencing flu-like symptoms and often have a raised temperature.  Last year I saw my GP, but told there is nothing wrong, and sent home.
I have a history of lung problems: 13 years ago I had an upper lobectomy for a carcinoid tumour (opposite side to the one I'm now having pain in).
Should I just put up with it?
Getting a physician to pay attention to such things is a bear. I don't know what is causing your lung problems, but something is. Elevated body temperature is part of the immune system reacting to an invader. Some bacteria and virus infections cannot replicate, except within narrow temperature ranges. The elevated body temperatures prevents replication. It is possible, however to have bouts of elevated temperatures without having an infection. You require a good work-up at a medical famility with a caring physician at the helm of the ship. And yes, you require a pulmonary specialist to evaluate your lung function. Your GP has not paid sufficient attention to your problems and you should find another one. This isn't baseball where you get three strikes. In the case of your physician he/she gets one strike. Two at most.  You have a business relationship with your physician. Nothing more. And you haven't been getting value for your money. My two cents worth is" "Don't just put up with it." Good luck.