Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
unresponsive to antibiotics- sinus, respiratory infection

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

hi, i first got sick in Jan. with a flu, then i developed a secondary sinus infection. i was treated with ketek. the ketek did not work, so my dr. put me on avelox. i did not feel better until the 10th day of the avelox, and then just a few days later i felt much worse, low- high fever, coughing, congestion, fatigue. now it's even worse-- my doc gave me more avelox and i feel i'm getting worse everyday. i am seeing a different doc later today but i'm a bit panicked right now that i have something really serious. i'ts been two months.
thanks for your time.
The best advice we can give you is to see a doctor for complete evaluation of your lungs and sinuses.  You should ask your doctor to refer you to a specialist, preferably an infectious disease specialist.  You will need a chest x-ray, sinus CT, complete blood count and cultures of sputum and sinus drainage.  If your infection proves to be bacterial, further antibiotic therapy can then be based on drug sensitivity studies.

You may require drainage of her sinuses.
I work in medical informatics, so medical scientific literature comes to me first to be entered into medical world database.  Still, I am personally an advocate of natural remedies.  A friend of mine complained to me that for years they could not cure her sinus and she cannot breathe and going nuts.  I advised the following remedy which I use myself in cases of infection and severe sinusitis. Grate onions, put it into a sterile gauze and squeeze juice.  Drop 2-4 drops into each nostril, hold it for several seconds.  It is not as bad as it may seem. You can follow up with cucumber juice drops -- cucumber is used widely for children's sinus infection in Turkey.  I had a scientific article written by an American pediatrician who discovered its use while in Turkey, did some research and it turned out that cucumber juice is antibacterial.  Back to onions juice.  My friend called me and excitedly said that for the first time in several years she could sleep and knows that she is defiinitely recovering... Antibiotics, used for continuous period of time, will damage you natural flora, causing superinfections (vaginosis in women and UTI in both men and women -- and it this is the case -- cranberry pills 2 pills 2times a day or 250 mg neostatin will prevent the UTI).