Respiratory Disorders Community
upper back hurts when i take a deep breathe

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

i am 46 female i have gerd but i take medicine for it  my upper back really hurts when i breathe in deep.it has been doing it for 3 days i have tried a muscle rub and a heating pad i do smoke .nothing is helping i was concerned that it might be aheart attack but it more in the middle of my upper back by my shoulder blades.

This discussion is related to sharp upper back pain when i breathe in deep.
Without more information, it is impossible to give a sure diagnosis, but you may have a rib head "out"  Though, lung or heart pain can refer to the back is is more likely superficial.  Your ribs move every time you breathe, and when you take a deep breath they move even more.  If one of the joints is not functioning properly that can be painful.  I would recommend you find a good chiropractor in your area to take a look.
I would exercise caution when going straight to a chiropractor or even on seeing one at all.  They are supposed to take an x-ray on your first visit to, at a minimum, ensure that your ribs/spine/etc. are intact and that certain internal organs appear normal.  The chiropractors that I patroned both missed the fact that my lung was collapsed.  Both were operating under the assumption that I had a pulled muscle in my back.  While the chiropractic treatments do feel very nice when they are happening, I noticed that I was in more pain after each treatment and so I went to the chiropractor more often, up to 3-4 times per week.  Beyond the chiropractors missing a very serious medical problem that was causing my pain in the first place, it was suspicious that my appointments ultimately created more appointments and more business for the chiropractors.

I also wanted to respond to your posting because the pain in my upper back by my shoulder blades seems similar to your description.  It might be a good idea to go to a Primary Care Physician and have them listen to your lungs, check your ribs & muscles, etc. before you go to the chiropractor.  My PCP sent me to get a chest x-ray after listening to my lungs which is how I discovered my lung was collapsed.  Good luck!
I am a 28 year old female and everytime that I breathe I get this sharp pain in my left upper back around the bottom of my shoulder blade. I thought that it was my heart, but I have been to a cardiologist and they think that since I am 28 years old I am fine. But I just have that feeling that something is wrong, any suggestions? I wonder if it is just inflammation around my lung. I also have on the right side a muscle that has been fluttering for about 2 weeks straight now. Can inflammation cause all of this, or maybe stress, or what I am just not really sure. I tend to get really paranoid when I things start feeling stange. But I have been trying to relax calm down and stop getting paranoid about every little thing, But this is something that is driving me crazy!  Let me know if you have any suggestions, or if anyone has had anything similar that they have experienced?
Did you find out what the problem was because I am experiencing the same thing. I sent you a message but don't know if you got it. Thanks!
2009 is a very old post,,,
but, im experiencing the same thing,,,Five days ago, when i breath in deep, my back hurts, right under my right shoulder blade. I've been searching for possible causes, and i found, most suggest to see a doctor or chiropractor.

Could have been caused by working out, or when i tried lifting a heavy pipe, or something else.

Pinched nerve or stress on a muscle is what im hoping. One sight says its a symptom of lung cancer and another sight says its a symptom of pleurisy.
Chiropractor?  No, go see a doctor!  If the pain only occurs when breathing/coughing, then it's likely something involving the pleura.  My first thought was a collapsed lung, and that's before I read the second follow up post.

It could be musculoskeletal pain, but it would hurt with any back movement whether you're breathing or not.  Then again, that's something you'd probably noticed anyway and wouldn't be posting on here.  So, if the pain is still there(a small pneumothorax can go away on its own), go see a doctor!