Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
upper gi and paralyzed diaphagm

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

upper gi and paralyzed diaphagm
how can I get an Upper GI done when I have a paralyzed diaphragm and partially collasped lung.  will I need to be totally sedated or have a breating tube put in.  I can not breath laying flat without bi=papp machine on.
Your problem should be discussed, by your doctor, with the radiologist and radiology technologist before the UGI is performed.  With forewarning it should be possible to minimize the amount of time you are lying flat and quickly return you to an upright position, should you develop respiratory distress.  Sedation would be inappropriate and there should be no need for a breathing tube but that is a decision that should be made by your (respiratory) doctor in consultation with the radiology people.  They may also want to consider having your bi-pap machine in the radiology department and quickly available.

Good luck
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker