Respiratory Disorders Community
vaccine use

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

vaccine use

Could you please tell me in more detail why patients that use steroids are not able to take the influenza vaccine? thank you very much.
I know that there are issues with taking a vaccine that is live with immunocompromised people such as those who are on steroids and medication such as Imuran, cytoxan etc which also suppress immunity.
Dead vaccines shouldn't be a problem, at least that is what my doctor has told me. The flu shot itself is made of dead virus and won't cause the flu. Maybe some doctors feel that because of immunosuppression that the body wouldn't mount a significant antibody response to protect you from the flu.
The flu mist does contain live virus so don't get that type of vaccine or any others that are live. You would actually risk getting the flu if you took the mist due to lowered immunity.
I would ask your doctor about this, I know that with different conditions, there are different protocols and some doctors don't allow certain patients even killed vaccines. As far as respiratory goes, my doc has always encouraged the flu shot even when I was on fairly high doses of prednisone.
Of course your doctor is the best resource as he or she is familiar with your case.
Sunny
Thanks!! I appreciate the response. Have a great day!