violent coughing...is it laryngeal spasms?
Hello. Yesterday my doctor suggested I might have Laryngeal Spasms, and while I wait 2 months for the Throat specialist to get my appointment, she suggested I look online.  But my symptoms don't seem to match all of yours...no voice problems or 'breathing' problems.  I just get these violent coughing attacks that literally feel and behave as if I inhaled a bread crumb, and my body suddenly and violently is trying to cough it up.  And just like when we are choking, I have a hard time catching my breath during these violent choking fits.   By the time I'm done 4-8 minutes later, I'm shaking, tears streaming down my face, and I've probably wet myself.  Its horrible!  Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Oh, and this happens at all hours of the day and night, and usually, its not when I'm eating.   Its frightening to wake up from a deep sleep choking like this. She suggested curbing any reflux I might be having, but I rarely ever have heartburn (but I'll try anything now!)  I do note that it happens more often when my respiratory system is weakened by a cold, or allergy season, or even a little cough.  I'm thinking she might be in the right ballpark, but not the right diagnosis.  Thanks for your help.  
hi i have got a very bad cough and have got asthma but when i cough i wet myself and im bein sick 2, can anyone help me as its as to been gone by the 13 may as im doing the race for life
I have exactly the same thing as you, it's either a smell, a laugh, rushing, a shock, eating most foods, excitement. and on the list goes..you name it and it drives me and my family bonkers... I would like nothing else than a cure...I really empathise with you
I have been suffering with coughing spasms for the last three months. I have them about 3 or 4 times a day and they are especially bad at night. I have tried many remedies but I never could believe it was COPD and sinus infections didn't seem to be a reason for the severity of my illness, because I have them every year for months at a time.  Last night, the mucus seemed to have dropped into my lungs and my breathing  was very difficult and even talking was an effort so I headed to the emergency room. I met a doctor who told me he suspected PERTUSSIS and after reading the data, I tend to agree. I am 62 and most of the people I know who are sharing this issue, are within ten years of my age range. And as the doctor said, our generation was never innoculated against pertussis. The immunizations came when we had our children and our own health risks were not considered as critical but NOW as we age, the pertussis factor has really cropped up and created health issues for us! Check it out! It's worth a shot!
Just Google  The Mystery Chronic Cough

The Mystery Chronic Cough (a.k.a. habit cough, tic cough, psychogenic cough, irritable larynx syndrome)A typical patient with the chronic cough is described as follows:
◦Started during or after recovering from a viral laryngitis and/or upper respiratory infection
◦Dry cough
◦Cough occurs due to no perceivable reason...perhaps only a tickle
◦Cough may occur several times an hour to even as often as several times a minute. Must be distinguished from whooping cough (severe attacks of a choking cough that lasts 1-2 minutes often with near vomiting and appearance of suffocation. Watch Mayo Clinic video).
◦Cough does not seem to get better with time (months or even years)
◦All diagnostic studies performed come back normal
◦Endoscopy of the throat and voicebox is normal (this exam will be performed on the first visit to ensure that there is no anatomic reason for the cough). Such anatomic factors that may trigger a cough include an elongated uvula as well as large tonsils (Link #1 • Link #2 • Link #3 • Link #4)

If this description sounds like you, you may have chronic cough due to laryngeal sensory neuropathy (aka, sensory neuropathic cough, vagal neuropathy, etc). What does this mean? Essentially, this means that the nerve that provides sensation to the voicebox and is responsible for triggering the cough reflex has been injured, usually by a virus. When this happens, the nerve's level of sensitivity before it triggers the cough reflex becomes markedly reduced; in other words, it becomes hyper-sensitive. This situation is akin to the elevated sensitivity of the skin producing pain even with the lightest touch after healing from a bad burn, even if the skin appears completely normal. Other related forms of such sensory neuropathy include diabetic neuropathy, post-herpetic neuralgia, phantom limb pain, etc.

Dr. Chang was recently featured in Healthy Happenings, a regional quarterly publication. The article mainly focused on one of Dr. Chang's patient whom he had diagnosed and successfully treated for laryngeal sensory neuropathy as a cause of her chronic cough for over 10 years.
There is also a list of links to professionals in the USA and Canada who are familiar with this condition
I posted a link for all June 9, 2012 hope this helps
B12  deficiency is also linked to chronic cough have your levels checked
What kind of red wine did you give to your mother?  I'm thinking of doing the same for my husband because the doctor is not helping at all.  He, too, coughs until he chokes, though he has COPD, and the only thing that stops it is cough medicine with codeine which makes him sleep constantly and he said that is no way to live and the wine idea sounds better to him.  So, he wants me to find out what kind of red wine or if just any kind will do?

Thank you.
I would like to begin about a year and a half ago.  I had back surgery and about a week after began having a cough that lasted for months.  I went to doctors again and again--specialists who were excellent doctors. However, nothing they did helped.  I was given steroids, antibiotics, inhalers. I was taking asthma medication, using a nebulizer.  Nothing was helping and not only did I have the cough and constant tickle in my throat, but I could hardly walk across the room without getting short of breath.  I was becoming very discouraged and frustrated.  So I made up my mind I was going to figure it out myself because I just "knew" I didn't have asthma.  I began doing some research and came across a book suggesting it might be a yeast or fungal infection.  So if yeast was the problem, then almost every treatment I had been doing was making it worse. At the same time I began having a conversation with a friend who had the same problems several years earlier.  She felt it was a yeast infection.  She advised me to take probiotics, antifungal medication, cut out any kind of yeast or sugar products.  It was about 4 days before I went to the health food store to get medications, but I did cut out sugar and bread and within 2 days, I could not believe the improvement. I took probiotics for about 2 months and the antifungal medication I took for 6-8 mo.  Whenever I would eat a dessert, I would start getting that tickle in my throat, would take the antifungal medication and feel better in usually an hour.  This past spring I was diagnosed with diabetes so I really had to cut out sugar, but it brought more improvement to the lung problem.  I am not suggesting this is diagnosis for everyone, but I feel that it is imperative that we empower ourselves--no one knows your body better than you do and even very good doctors are fallible.  In fact most docs are not trained very much in the treatment of fungal problems.  I feel that as we use more and more antibiotics for a cure all, there will be more yeast problems.  There are several very good books about yeast and changes in diet can make so much difference.
Sorry this post is so long, but I do want to address one other concern because I feel like it is related.  I believe that due to the yeast, my lungs have had some "damage" and about 2 months ago, I came down with a respiratory infection which after 3 weeks was diagnosed as whooping cough and I think I was more susceptible to this because of my history. Anyway, It is very scary to have because of the cough, then the feeling your throat is closing, and you can't breath.  I have had terrible laryngitis almost the entire time.  The doc says it is irritation to the vocal chords from the severe coughing and also acid reflux. Even after all these weeks, I still start coughing and sometimes throw up. I go out in public some, but it is very hard interacting with people.  The other day my son said something funny and I started to laugh, but the next thing I knew I was choking.  I just seem not to be able to handle stress or "excitement" without losing my breathe.  Yet I have found very little information addressing these issues. Hopefully in the next month, I will continue to improve and I do advise people to make sure they have the pertussis vaccine.
I have been having these coughing fits for over 10 years. Gasping, choking, coughing out but can't breathe in. My sister found a site suggesting an acupressure point called the laryngospasm notch (go figure) - between the bone of the mastoid process and your ears. Solid pressure and the spasm stops. I was amazed! After years of Zantac, Tums, throat sprays and lozenges, doctors, prescriptions and just accepting that this was something I would have to live with it turns out that I CAN do something to stop it. Hope this helps you as much as it has me.
I'm 15 and I recently had a cold which is now gone but the cough has stayed with me, and I  cough throughout the day and sometimes when i'm coughing I can't stop at all and I can't get any air and then I get slightly dizzy, it also panics me as well. Does anyone know what  this might be if anything?
The  same thing happens to me but no dr can figure out what is wrong.  did you ever get any answers
I have very similar symptoms. I been coughing with a mild sore throatfor a month with loose white phlegm. Sometimes I cough so hard my throat closes up and/or I throw up. I went to my Dr. A week ago and she gave me a Z pack. It has not helped. I'm coughing even more than I did before.  I have experienced acid reflux in the past. The last time was 3 or 4 months ago. It was so bad I could taste the acid in my mouth. I didn't mention this to my Dr. And she never asked. I have to go back to her and discuss the next step.
I can only relate my symptoms and you can compare them to yours:
Last summer I was besieged by violent spasmodic coughing fits after a sudden twitch, tickle or spasm at the back of my throat. I could not speak or breathe and had to dive into privacy where I coughed up mucus continually, almost gagging. Drowning in mucus. Eyes streamed, nose ran. Very unattractive and quite frightening. Gasping for breath. These occurred several times a day and at night with no warning except for that ominous throat tingle/tickle to start them off. They were violent and uncontrollable. I tried everything: allergy relief, honey, cough syrups - nothing worked to control the attacks.
The fall was spent seeing numerous specialists (ENT, Lung, etc.), having chest X-rays, CT Scans, PET scans. Nothing turned up. By mid winter the coughing fits had stopped. The doctors were stumped.
In the spring I had yet another coughing attack, then another. So I decided to do some self-diagnosis. After much research, it turned out to be Chlorine Poisoning in my case. As soon as I stopped adding Chlorine tabs by hand to the pool, the coughing fits abated and disappeared. I was taking in Chlorine gas just by opening the bucket and then through the skin on my hands by handling the tabs.
So I know not all of you are dealing with pool Chlorine tabs per se, but you are swimming in heavily chlorinated pools, and dealing with loads of cleaning products and bleaches that are full of Chlorine.  Chlorine is hugely poisonous to our systems. Google it: Chlorine Poisoning. And then check what you do on a daily basis and see if Chlorine is involved. Cleansers (industrial and domestic), bleaches, solvents for dry cleaning, insecticides, dyestuffs - anything with Chlorine in it should be handled with utmost care so as not to breathe the fumes or let it penetrate the skin.
I hope this helps even a few of you...
Yes. It is very scary. They are telling me I have broncitis. And I'm on steroids, albuterol, cough medicine with codeine and mucinex. I've had broncitis plenty of times before but not like this. I looked up the laryngospasm on the internet too. It doesn't seem to be too much about it, no real cause or treatment. I sleep very little because I wake up coughing and fighting to get any air in or out about every hour or two. Exhaling seems to be the worst. I've been experiencing this for 9 days now. I don't feel like I'm getting any better. They xrayed my neck and chest, took blood and urine. They said they can't find anything wrong with me. I sure feel like there's something wrong with me. Terri3359.
Terri3359
I would love to know the name of the site. I'm having that same problem. I had a cold about a week before the spasms started.
Omg. I have been going through this for years. I have a chronic cough, but when I feel that prickly sensation in the back of my throat on the right side I know I am going to have one of these coughing fits. I cannot breathe. I feel my airway is closed. I have learned to try not to panic, that is difficult, and to breathe. When I am in control I bring up mucus as well as huge burps. I cough for 10 to 15 minutes  after which I become shaky, my face is so red and tears streaming down my face. I am embarrassed so I hide in the restroom at work or my office until I am composed again. Sometimes when I eat something and it hits that spot in my throat I will have a coughing fit. Chemical odors, perfumes, cigarette smoke, dust, candles, incense, cold air, air conditioning and heat all trigger a cough. I went to a throat specialist and all he said was he could see nothing and I had such a huge gag factor. I went for pulmonary testing and nothing was found. I went to an allergist and my only positive was to yard grass. I had a coughing fit one day at Home Depot suddenly and right in they'd file of the alley coughed up mucus and my coffee; I couldn't control it and I was so embarrassed. Usually I have these coughing attacks at work. Occasionally at night when I am sleeping. I embarrassed myself once in a restaurant, I had a coughing fit and passed gas;  everyone around me started laughing; I wanted to run and hide. I go in a grocery store and immediately start coughing. My grandmother had the same issues. My big fear is when I have an attack and cannot breathe is that I am going to pass out or won't be able to breathe again.
I also have the gaging cough at least once a day.  I have only had the throat spasm 4 times.  Yesterday had one around my daughter she was really scared. Also I couldn't breath and was wheezing.
I also have seen ENT and Pulmonary Specialist.  Nothing helps the coughing.
I spoke to my GP Dr. and will try carrying an EPI pen to see if this will work when the throat closes.  The difference this time is a severe Migrane for 2 days.  
This is exactly what I have had since December, it's now April.   I looked up pertussis,  and found that we (ages around 65) did not receive a vaccination for pertussis.   The doctors didn't begin giving these vaccinationsuntil around the time we had our children.   Thus, many adults our age are now getting this.   I am so happy I read your post.   The online CDC (Center for Disease Control) says a vaccination of Tdap will help us.   Im telling my doctor tomorrow.  The following website let's you listen to people who have this.   Take a listen.   This is exactly what I have been doing.   http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/pubs-tools/audio-video.html#pertussis-sounds.  
Thanks this is a great explanation especially when I have been diagnosed with Eagle's syndrome.
Did you ever get better? I'm getting so depressed since these same symptoms are keeping me from getting much sleep.
I get the same coughing spells once my allergies start up. I try to calm them down by keeping a hard candy, cough drop or amazingly enough a starburst in my mouth to keep salivating. That might sound gross but by putting one under my tongue when I am trying to sleep but instead wake up to my throat tickling and a coughing fit ( complete with the streaming tears, red face and possible bladder leakage) I am able to sleep through the night. I guess this could be a choking hazard but I have never had an issue and 3 nights of waking up every hour with one of these fits made it necessary. I guess I'll ask my doctor to do the test for Laryngeal spasm- I'd love to get rid of this. My family thinks I'm weird when I tell them a small part of my throat dried up and trickered me to choke then start violently  coughing .
To everyone on here with really bad coughing systems get checked Histoplasmosis...I had cat scans X-rays an all that last year an they never found nothing an I got a new doctor that put me on allergy meds that didn't work the coughing got so bad I tasted like a metal taste in my mouth or when I would cough an I could just feel something in my lungs an chest so was put on an albuterol inhaler an cough meds an meds for gerd but still did work so by this time I had been coughing day an night all day long for 3months it got so bad I couldn't leave the house everything sent me into convulsive coughing I wasn't eating or sleeping good I had to sleep propped up on pillow because when I would lay down I coughed worse it got so bad my husband thought I was gonna die because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me an even I thought I was gonna die at one point because it was so horrible an painful I got to where I was coughing so hard an much I was loosing my breathe an by the time I caught it I started throwing up an was peeing on myself constantly from coughing and even broke ribs on my right side from the convulsive coughing but out of 4 doctors none of them found nothing I was put on meds 4 gerd allergies an albuterol inhaler an a steroid inhaler breathing treatments antibiotics an cough meds all at once then my doctor called for me to come in an I had lucked up she reviewed my X-rays again an found something an sent it to get reviewed by a professional and the said I had histoplasmosis an they said it only comes from being around the Kentucky river in which I had never been so come to find out you can also get it from inhaling air from where bird or bat dropping are in which where I used to walk the track in the park where there where a lot of trees and birds and bats an it made perfect since because it was exactly around the time that I started feeling symptoms well I hope this helps you all
its 4am Cali time. I've been dealing with this for 2 weeks now. The Dr. told me I couldn't die but my gosh I feel like I am. I can't breath(literally) for 5-7 seconds then I get a little breath then back again. I'm glad you explained the throwing up. Thank God I saw your post. I am going to get scoped and I feel like I should get a MRI. This has been the WORST and SCARIEST thing I have ever been through. I am now giving myself vocal rest(not speaking) My Dr. said my nodules are sticking together and that's why the spasm's are happening, along with my silent reflux. I am on predisone because of my chest breathing. I am so glad I read your post, thanks for sharing.
I am writing this after just having a violent coughing spasm 25 minutes ago. I have had these spasms for over 5 years now. I have at least 1 to 2 a month with no explanation to what might have triggered it. It starts with a tickle in the back of the throat that naturally I feeled compelled to alleviate by swallowing. Next thing that happens is after I swallow and begin to draw a breathe, the air irritates the my wind pipe even more causing the coughing spell. I begin to vomit and lose bladder control. Next thing that happens scares me into a panic because I can barely breath. It feels like my wind pipe is closing and I cant talk or even yell for help. If I tried, then the spasm starts over again and I worry that my wind pipe will close completely. This coughing episode is so scary that I actually thought I was going to die. The only thing that I have found to help after an attack is to drink something hot such as tea, coffee, ect; breathe through your nose slowly and  no matter what- dont cough! Try not to cough or clear your throat for at least five minutes or else that tinkle comes right back and you will have another violent episode. My coughing spasm happen whenever and more often if I have a cold. I noticed other people have them right after they eat or have had a cold. With me, none of those  situations matter because my coughing spasm happen right out of the blue of which makes it absolutely impossible to figure out what the trigger is.
Oh yeah, one other helpful piece of advice... promethazine better known as phenergan seems to help stop the spasm from reoccurring for 6 to 8 hours after an attack has occurred. Of course you need a prescription for it, but if you have this medication its worth a shot.
Hi, Cynthia.
I'm 17 and I have had this problem throughout my life (so far) when I was about 5 my parents told me I had a spasm that lasted about 30 minutes until I eventually passed out, they took me to the ER and said there was nothing that could have actually started it. But it's been years since I've went back to get it checked on, every result I get is just not it,  my spasms last up to 20 minutes and usually happen during school hours, I don't know what to do, I'm terrified everyday that it'll happen again, my friends have told me to just get an inhaler but I don't think that would work, I can't find anyone who have had these cough spasms, I'm glad I found this forum. I really just need to know how to stop this from happening or at least help it, I had one about 40 minutes ago, it's 5:25 am and I woke up severely coughing, and gasping for breath, it was scary but I knew to get up and relax, that doesn't help much though, I eventually end up with tears rolling down my face and shaking, I'm fed up, I need to get an answer that sounds right.
I too am suffering from this. About three days ago I got. Bad cold,  I woke up on the second day and got a spams Oh my God! It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me!!! I could.not breathe at all for like 40 seconds, I had four episode two of them which I was home alone and hurt my elbow Jung a and down, what a scary feeling you really do become helpless ,  y doctor said it was acute bronchitis and have me antibiotics and coughing syrup, here i am on my four day today and it's 1:00 am and I don't want to fall to sleep I'm so scared because in the morning is the worst, and I normally spams whe imdnt have a cold. But I can control those because there is not flem, I literally choke on air oh help if anyone can give some pointers how to deal with this situation , tomorrow I will be gong to the doctors again and let her know about the spams ,my husband had know idea how bad it got until he expirienced it hi. Self. My email is ***@**** and one that can give me any kind of advise
I am currently 26 years old and healthy. I have suffered from there fits for at lest 10 years now.... I don't remember what brought on the first one, but I usually get them in the spring and fall every year... they have gotten worse from when I was a teenager in school...  They seem to happen in clusters I will have a few week span where I have several a day and then not have another one for months, the first symptom is usually a tickling sensation in my throat, followed by an extreme sense of anxiety (cold water seems to help and usually I will try to get a drink right away) my throat become hot and I find it helps if I try to calmly breathe through my nose.  once I give in and cough my body violently shakes and I cough and heave to the point I will vomit.  my face is red and my eyes tear and cry... there is no real sign one is coming on and I usually have only seconds to a minute to get some cold water before vomiting.  it seems they happen at the most inconvenient times (waiting room, store, driving...)  I have never ben to a dr, for this, but after finding this site and realizing this is  real thing I will call in he a.m.  is there anything anyone has noticed that helps???    
Oh wow, I can't believe how many people suffer from what I suffer from.  I have been dealing with this for the last 20 years.  And I just now found this site so I can imagine there are way more of us out here without any kind of real diagnosis or help.  It's a rare day that I don't cough.  But I want to differentiate it because although both kinds are horrible, one is a chronic everyday event and the other is more occasional, and much more violent.  It started many years ago, I remember it happening once almost 30 years ago.  But in the last 20 years it has progressed with me.  It seems worse in the winter.  The tickle, and then the dried out feeling like sandpaper (usually on just one side of my throat) that puts me almost into an immediate violent coughing fit.  It's like I can't get moisture to that area no matter how much I cough.  And it goes on and one for 5 minutes. Tears rolling down my face, my nose running and the gagging and eventually vomiting.  I have vomited in a restaurant twice over the years.  Talk about embarrassing!  Fortunately most of the time I get it under control before I vomit by nothing but sheer will power.  My husband now just tells people it is a cough variant asthma attack so people aren't freaked out that they will get some horrible disease by being within 20 feet of me.  I have tried every inhaler, every type of medication. I have had every possible test and nothing comes out .  I do have GERDs so I take the proton pump inhibiters.  Nothing really helps me or prevents these violent attacks.  It's almost like having an epileptic seizure.  In the winter it can happen several times a week and always at inopportune times.  It comes out of the blue and with many triggers, smell, dry air, especially airplane air, dust, smoke, you name it.  If that was all I probably could deal with it, but I also have another chonic cough that doesn't come with the dry sand paper throat.  Just the tickling and then I cough very hard for a few minutes every day maybe 5 or ten times a day.  Rarely would it cause me to gag badly to the point of vomiting.  Again winters are far worse. For years I have taken Dayquil and Nyquil which do help a lot. But this winter it was much worse.
I'm now 61 and this cough is really taking a toll on me.  I no longer laugh because it will trigger my cough.  It's getting hard to talk without coughing.  I never go anywhere without the strongest cough drops, (Fisherman's Friend).  They help a little sometimes.  Sometimes herbal tea with honey helps a bit.  I'm just so tired of it and I don't even talk about it to my doctors because they just gave up on finding a solution.  I bet I've spent at least $10 to $20 thousand dollars on tests and doctors and meds.  
If someone offered to remove the cough reflex completely I'd jump at the chance.  My doctor has diagnosed me with "reactive airway".  That's me.  I sometimes marvel at people when they swallow the wrong way and they cough 3 or 4 times and its cleared up.  Me?  I cough for at least 5 minutes straight and would be lucky not to vomit!  I've been living this way for so long and everyone that knows me knows I cough.  It's become my identity.  
For years I didn't cough when I slept.  But now I wake up several times a night gasping.  It's amazing that there is no real name for this and no real treatment.    
I have had this problem off and on for years.  There is never a cure and no physician has been able to pinpoint the problem. I do have Lupus, Sjogrens,a multi nodular mass in my thyroid gland, Sinus and allergy problems.  This coughing spasm usually starts after a bout of upper respiratory infections and has happened if I become overheated.  The choking cough begins with an aggravating tickle or burning sensation in my throat and results in vomiting  thick foamy white and/or clear phlegm.  It can occur at any time of the day and is worse at night which is really frightening.  My ears itch, my eyes and nose pour, and the mass in my thyroid has the appearance of a bull frog when I am choking. I have had CT scans from my head to my lungs, X-rays, and Ultrasounds that show nothing. I have been treated with Albuterol, Advair, cough syrup with codeine, steroids and antibiotics.  I have tried OTC Mucinex, Ricola and Cepacol drops.  I have never found any relief.  This has last as long as three continuous months, goes away and returns.  I am glad it's not just in my mind, as I see several individuals complaining with these same symptoms.  I pray that some physician will soon find something that will either cure or remedy this annoying, aggravating, humiliating, whatevertheheck this is. I am going to a Pulmonologist and a Gastroenterologist soon.  I have had my esophagus dilated twice and may be an issue with me again.  God Bless all of you who suffer with this.
I have like one spot that isn't in my throat but further down like in the larynx
that almost itches. I know what causes it. I use inhalers and when I use them as I am supposed to, I am guaranteed to get the itchy spot. Needless to say, it is annoying and can be embarrassing because there is no control of the coughing it causes.
I too have this annoying and scary problem but I have found two remedies that will offset an attack. This worked for me and stopped the annoying tickle/itch at the back of the throat. I grabbed a bottle of honey and literally squeezed about a tablespoon amount into my mouth and swallowed. This stopped the tickle and urge to start coughing dead in its tracks. Then, to keep the itch/tickle at bay for awhile, follow up with Chloroseptic sore throat spray to help slightly numb your throat. This solution is not a permanent fix but sure beats violently coughing, vomiting and not being able to breathe in or out.
Good luck to all.
Your suggestion for honey is a good one. Let me tell you my ritual when I feel this sudden tickle, loss of breath, and cough spasm. I have come to believe that what is happening is that I have inhaled some small particle (dust, pollen, saliva) and it catches between my trachea (windpipe) and esophagus. I immediately get some water and kleenex. I slowly inhale through my nose (I know it's hard to do when you feel like you can't breathe), then blow out through my nose, inhale again (even if it's only a little) then blow the nose again. Take some sips of water, if at home try a dab of honey. Keep gently blowing the nose and sipping water until you can speak again. Suck on a lozenge to soothe the throat. I believe this blows the particle out of the airway to a place it can be swallowed. This has helped my attacks be less fearful and severe, I just wish they wouldn't happen. It's embarrassing and you can't predict where you'll be when it happens. PS I have cats and wouldn't be surprised if they contribute to it. I have to use an air cleaner at home and keep my home well vacuumed.
I have this tickle in back of my throat and when I try to clear it. I start to cough. Kind of like spasm cough. I had walking pneumonia about three weeks ago. Anyone know of anything that might work to clear this cough.
I had pneumonia and now I have this cough.  The only time I don't cough is when I am in bed with my head elevated or eating...sometimes I cough even when eating.  I had the same thing happen years ago after pneumonia and ended up with paracarditis.  Don't know what to do....please help
I work with  lady who has these coughing fits and she just found out it was different meds she was taking.  Who would of  thought medicine
Hope this helps someone
My asthma and allergy specialist diagnosed laryngeal sensory neuropathy. Meds were horrible, but have just had my second Botox injection by my ent and the cough is almost completely gone. Had this for 10 or more years...has been horrible.
I am happy I found this site too.  I have been suffering with this spasmodic cough since I quit smoking in July.  I had no idea what it was and it began as just a cough, but has progressed to the spasms, where my breath if literally taken away and that's the way it seems to start--not with a tickling in my throat, but just a sudden involuntary intake of breath.

I have tried so many things, but the honey definitely works to subdue the cough.  I use only raw honey, (the solid kind) and I buy 3, 3-lb containers a month.  It really is helpful.

I also make a raw ginger, onion, grapefruit (peel the outer skin and leave the white part), garlic, and cabbage drink in my blender. I go through almost a quart of this a day.  

I also drink hawthorne-berry and soursop tea.  I started on these, first with soursop, thinking I might have cancer, and then the hawthorne berries, thinking it might be my heart.  This tea really does seem to help.  For the tightness in my chest, I just take an aspirin/caffeine pain reliever.  It's called a back and body formula.  I get it at Dollar Tree for $1.  It amazingly take the pain and tightness in my chest away.

I also do baking soda and molasses and apple-cider vinegar and honey drinks.  I don't always get them in enough during the day, but I try to get at least two in per day.

I am also thinking about getting some Benadryl, because I am sure that there is some kind of allergy involved. I have cats so that is a distinct possibility.

After this has been going on since the summer, last night I tried an old fashioned mustard plaster.  It worked like a champ.  No coughing for the two hours I had it on, and no coughing when I went to bed. It burns a little, after you put it on and for the time it's on, but I don't even care.  The relief it gave was phenomenal.

I don't go to doctors, but my son was concerned so we went to an urgent care facility.  He just wanted me to get a chest x-ray, which they did and my lungs were clear.  The PA (not a doctor) said it could be COPD, and she prescribed an inhaler, some drug that numbs your throat and lungs and an antibiotic.  I took none of those things.

I do not want to get addicted to an inhaler, the side affects of the "numbing drug" were horrendous (even death) and I have enough natural antibiotics in the garlic I take. I also take oil of oregano and colloidial silver, in case it is an infection, but I don't think so.  I don't have the phlegm or mucus.

I have never been sick in my life and this condition has forced me to stay at home almost all the time.  Luckily for me, I am retired and don't have to go to work.  I can't imagine having to deal with this and have to work.

Oh yes, I also make up my own turmeric, curry powder, and cayenne pepper capsules and take about 10 each of those per day, besides Vitamin C and other vitamins.

I feel much better today after the mustard plaster and I will definitely be making another one of those up tonight.  It felt so good, despite the burning.  You make it by grinding 1 tablespoon of mustard, then mixing that with 3 tablespoons of flour, add water and make a paste.  Then you spread it on a cloth (I always have cotton flannel on hand for bandages) fold it over and put on your chest for two hours.  

Marvelous!  I do hope people will keep posting info. on this very aggravating condition.  And a big thank you to all who have helped.
Let me correct: That is ground mustard SEED!
I've had a terrible cold for the past 4 days-also have asthma. Non productive coughs - but always the urge to cough. Musenex not helping. Past 2 days never sure when to expect it- I break into such a coughing spasm that I feel as though I am going to pass out. Like I can't stop and feel my air running out. Been hitting nebulizer at least 3-4 times a day. The last attack about 30 min ago really put a good scare into me.
I too have this chronic cough. I've had it since I was a teenager.Attacks so violent I can't breathe & literally feel I will choke to death.It starts as a tickle on  the left side of my throat. Can be triggered from nearly any fragrance, perfume,cigarette smoke,even some foods being cooked.I am now 42&have had bad attacks since Christmas. It is now March.I've been to my doctor twice over 2months  but nothing has helped. It gets to the point I throw up,can't hardly sleep&am exhausted from all the coughing. I miss work over it.I'm too drained to do anything. I've tried every  over the counter meds.Nothing works.I spend a lot of money on awful tasting cough drops that barely help me not strangle. I keep bottled water with me all the time too.Doctors tell me it is post nasal drip&my sinuses. Also my allergies.I keep this all year round! I hate living this way.Can't talk most of the time.I stay hoarse. Then when I try to talk I get strangled. I try to focus on getting in air when these attacks happen. It is very scary not being able to catch your breath.Over last year it is getting worse.I thought I was the only one who suffered from this.Why can't we find a cure??
my situation is like most of the people sharing their experiences here, i just started like a week ago and from that day im not living... im scared to death, i went to several drs algready, start taking magnesium,, and wlll start that teraphy with magnets hope that help.... i need help .... any dr respond....
I had a horrendous cough for at least 10 years or more. I'm a nurse. My other nurse friends kept telling me I sounded like I had TB and I did. I had pulmonary tests and every other darn thing. I was on 2 inhalers and singulair even though my pulmonary tests came out fine. Then one day I was at work crying because I was tired to the point that every day was like climbing a mountain to get out of bed to get to work. I was foggy headed a lot of the time and this darn cough continued. Then someone suggested I get off gluten. I thought this was ridiculous since I had no gastrointestinal problems but decided it was worth a try. Two weeks later the cough I'd had for 10 years was gone and my energy had begun to return. I later had the biopsy of the small intestine (the only true test)  to prove this is what the problem was all along.- Just a suggestion in case some of you do not have laryngeal spasm.
Very interesting post above ^ but don't think it's the cough we are talking about. I suffer from the same thing, i.e. fairly rare throat tickle that persists and causes heavy coughing, I don't freak out though because c'mon, if you are gonna die, then you are. I am no doctor but I do notice that it only emerges after a bad cold or flu. Considering that everywhere is said that a viral bug causes this, perhaps the cough is to do exactly with the virus. I know that a virus infects our body by attacking one of our body cells and using it to reproduce. Once the new viruses are developed inside the body cell, they can remain dormant for long periods of time until your organism is weak for example, so they break out from the invaded body cell to have a higher chance to infect your body. When they break out, the cell that the virus used for reproduction is dead and this causes damage. Perhaps the virus damages some of the cells inside our throat, and perhaps the nerves are affected and perhaps get damaged by that and occasionally malfunction after the disease. Anyway unless it's chronic, it seems to happen after a viral bug. If people have those on occasion after a bug, and nothing happens, perhaps not to worry. Those who have a cough that chokes them or a chronic cough should definitely be worried however I believe, and should seek medical advise.
I have suffered from these after a cold for many, many years -- the sudden coughing fit or spasm running its course, eyes watering, nose running, violent coughing.  If I am lucky, I don't pee my pants.  I recover in a few minutes.  The best trick, as noted by previous posts, is as soon as you get that "tickle," pound tons of ICE COLD water and follow with a strong cough drop but you have to get it right away or you are too far gone to be able to do it. I always have a bottle of water and Halls right at my fingertips if I am riding in someone's car or in a meeting.  

I was reading that it can be caused by acid reflux which is not normal for me, but the action of excessive coughing brings up acids into the throat area creating inflamation which is known to cause these spasms -- actually they are vocal cord spasms.   I am going to experiment with taking something like Nexium every day during and recovering from a cold.  The next time I get a cold, try Tums for a comparison.  It's worth a shot.   One anecdote:  My Norwegian grandmother had an old-school method of preventing these during sleep which my parents did for me when I was a kid and it seemed to help.  It was a washcloth dunked in ice water, rung out, wrapped around the throat with a hand towel around that.  I think I will try the Tums route these days but since gramma's method offered some relief while the washcloth was cold, that seems to support the inflammation-causing-spasms idea.  Reduce the acid in your stomach, cool and hydrate the throat.  If there is acid in there, water will dilute it temporarily.  Cold, cold water.
Hi did you find a cure? I'm currently having the same issue.

please advise

thanks

Joe
I have this exact issue honestly my doctor diagnosed me with asthma for it meds. helped for a bit but then I get sick or cold etc and I start all over when my system is weekend just like you. I been battling it and the doc is about to change my medication again. but three doctors all agree is a really bad case of asthma. Good luck getting your checked out its the most painful things I've ever experienced going into my fit and I've gone through labor i think this is worse then that feeling.
I too suffer from this awful dilemma which is what lead me to this forum. Im looking for answers. It all starts with a cold which I'm still battling. I've been extremely  stressed on top of that so I know my immune system is comprimised. It starts with what feels like dust landing on a dry patch in my throat. Then a cough that sends me running into isolation and obscurity.  The cough becomes so violent that the tears, almost peeing myself,and splitting headaches set in. I have to clear my throat for an hour after before homeostasis sets back in. I've had to run out of class, leave church services, whatever, just so I can hack my head off. I hate this and it didn't start until my 30's. Why now?
1