Respiratory Disorders Community
violent coughing...is it laryngeal spasms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Viewing 201-235 comments:
Hi there,  

There are so many posts regarding both of the sets of symptoms but I want to know more from you as your symptoms are closest to mine. Your post is from 2009 so I hope you even get this... Did you find something that works for to stop the constricting feeling? I do not have acid reflux that I know of or at least as you said, I have no symptoms. I am also not able to talk above a whisper for about a min after my coughing fits. I was diagnosed with walking pnemonia (pneumonia) and bronchitus (bronchitis) which was untreated for approx 3 weeks. It scares me to think that I have done some damage to my lungs of bronchial tubes from prolonged coughing.
Let me know what your outcome was please and how long it took for this to hopefully pass.
Mechanism of how this Spasmodic episode causes Vasovagal Syncope attack in patients.
At the time of Maximal Exhaltion point - the Pressure generated in the neck causes compression of Carotid Sheath which carries Important Blood Vessels to and from the Brain and Nerve Chain carrying signals about the Control of Blood Pressure and the Heart Rate.
Compression of Venou Supply leads to Reddening of the Face and Swelling.
The nerves detect a cut-off of blood supply to brain leading to near fainting/syncopal episode.
Walking Pneumonia is usually  easily Treatable condition and it takes 3-4weeks to get better.
I have these symptoms too,,Started when I got the flu,dr. said I had bronchitis,,then was treated for asma, after going to Dr and ER.got to see an ENM Dr.said its silent reflux...put me on prilosec 2x a day,,then once a day,,now I take one whaen I think I need one although I do have some coughing spell occassionally I still have a bout of choking or loosing my breath..I wish there was a complete cure ! Good luck out there everyone !
I have the same thing. For years , I get these violent coughing and choking attacks. Myhusbandis a physician . I have had every test nobody can figure it out
Thank Goodness I'm Not The Only One. I've had this weird cough going on for about 3weeks now and it seems as if it gets worse. The doctors diagnosed me with bronchitis and asthma. Now I've come to the point where I began to vomit every-time I cough or become full after a meal. They Always come during anytime of the day especially at night and I feel like I am dying because I can't catch my breath. It's very scary. Thank God WE'RE still alive. Prayers To Him-Hallelujah
It sounds like diabetic symptoms, mixed with Thyroid and also COPD.  Its remnant from a cold, but I have thick sinus drainage and phlem building up in my bronchial tubes...hence the cough until I almost pass out. The weakened state of your neck and throat area and a possible low immune system are no fun...I feel your misery. I have had the cough now for a week...It reminds me of when I had Bronchitus (bronchitis) back in my twenties. I know there is phlem that does come up with the cough I have. I am a smoker, and also have half a thyroid due to nodules they found..they removed half my thryroid with them nine yrs ago. The sweats can be from thyroid problems (in ablility to regulate body temps), or from being a diabetic. also, have a blood sugar test done..If you smoke..get something to help you quit...and go see a ENT or a thyroid specialist. I know there is an answer for you, and all of us. Where is the real Dr. House?
I am having the same problem. Antibiotics won't work, but it will keep from spreading it to others. Cough syrups in general don't work, but take SCOTTUSSIN- a cough syrup for diabetics, that helps a  little bit. Need to stay away from milk, sugar and caffeine, those trigger the cough. And take plum flower supplement, also know as BAN XIA HOU PO WAN, it's hard to find, but it definitely helps. The virus needs to go through it's course, so you can't cure it unless you catch it before the choking starts, and doctors never do. But these things help with the choking a little bit, so it's easier to go through it. I hope this helps!
I wish I did! I have been researching everything about what could be causing it and there are so many that sound so much the same that it is hard to diffrentiate. I too have had this going on for the last 2 1/2 years. It sent me to the hospital three times. I went to a pulmonary Dr., found nothing wrong. I went to have an endoscopy done and they found nothing wrong. X-rays, CT Scans, EKG's and ultra sound test of the heart, nothing found on any of these. They said it was anxiety causing it and put me on Klonopin. Well most times when your throat and nose all of a sudden close up on you and you are coughing and gasping for air and wetting all over yourself and feeling like you are going to pass out and die, then I would assume there would be some anxiety! Wow... everything Dr's have now days are diagnosis for anxiety and depression. They also put me on Celexa.... Didn't need.. and stopped taking it. I only take Klonopin when I am having a little trouble with the shortness of breath, because it does calm me, but the shortness of breath and coughing continue... I have been tested for asthma too...I was told no on that. I also sneeze alot, especially at night, but my nose does not stop up. I will then every now and then smell things that other people do not smell... I wonder what is up with that? My breath will also become pretty bad sometimes, but not all the time. It is just crazy!!! My ears will itch and sometimes ache, but my throat does not itch or have a tickle feeling. I am tired of coughing and doing so much laundry!  Having spasms in my throat and stomach and back too. I think it is from all the harsh coughing and gagging. I hate this and I feel sorry for all of you and myself! If anyone knows what it could be please post an answer... Thanks
I had a cold about 2 months ago with a cough, when my cold went away, so did the cough, except the cough comes back sporadically and it can be very violent. It happen out of nowhere, sometimes when there's too much wind, or its too cold, when I walk too fast or run, before bed, and when I'm upset (anxiety)... haven't seen a dr. And now I'm not really looking fwd to it either if they're just gna tell me its acid reflux. Cuz I mean, what a Coincidence that it didn't occur until after that cold...
Yes it does. I am just getting over a bout of bronchitis-asthma.  I have been using a nebulizer pump 4 times a day and taking over the counter musolix and bronchaid.  I only get this about every 2 or 3 years but when it hits, it hits. It is the aftermath that seems to bring on the violent coughing spasms. It starts with a bad tickle which in turns goes into these spasms.  It is pretty scarey and I am finding abdominal muscles that I didn't even know I had.
I got on line to find something that might immediately help and found a concoction of ingredience that I had in the house.  Take apple cider vinegar, honey and ground ginger.  Stir it all together and sip it.  It seemed to help a lot.  I also bough some throat coat tea at a local healthfood store and I drink a cup every night before I go to bed.
Oh gosh me too.  I think I have been having these coughing fits since I was about 8, I am now 49.  I just thought it was me.  I only get them when I have had a a cold, so about once a year, but the potential for them can last a few months after the cold.  I have had them when answering the phone, in meetings, out shopping and just today in the pub watching the rugby.  I dont lose consciousness, but the worry is there as I cough out violently and can breath in.  It feels like retching.  Snot, and crying from the eye on the side the tickle is on.  Today I just carried on coughing for about an hour, feel completely knackered.   I have no known alergies (allergies), asthma or anything as always been very sporty and healthy, dont even have a doctor as dont need one.  So not taken any legal or illegal drugs since about 10 years ago and then took probiotics to correct the anti bioitics.   However, reading your posts might look in into an anti inflammatory diet from today and consider an some stool tests to check for parasites and gut dysbiosis.  Thanks everyone just thought I had a strange tickle.
About 12 years ago I started having severe breathing problems while out running I t felt like my throat had closed up and I gasped for air. When I stopped the exercise, breathing returned to normal. At first the dr thought it was asthma but meds (including an inhaler) made no difference. He sent me to local hospital for a battery of tests after which I was diagnosed with allergy-related laryngeal spasms. Because it was spring, the dr believed tree pollen (likely pine pollen) was the cause and predicted it would stop at the end of pollen season. And so it did... For each of he next 4 years the problem lessened in severity until it vanished completely in the spring. UNTIL LAST WEEK. The weather in the Northeast has been very warm. I have found a layer of pine pollen on top of my car already and have to wonder if the sudden onset of breathing problems is related. My breathing does return to normal when I stop running but, when the attack begins, it does feel like there is no air making its way into my lungs.
This manoevre sounds really interesting have you tried it out? and is it successful?? embly
I appreciate all of the postings - I have been getting these spasms infrequently, and generally in the aftermath of a bad cold.  I am finishing up a bad cold right now, and was concerned because I got them twice in one evening, near the start of this cold.  A new sensation was pain immediately afterwards, in my arms and upper chest, which faded in a minute or so.  That scared me.  Usually I can head them off at the first sign if I drink ice water (I have a water cooler) or grab a strong menthol lozenge.  There is very little warning usually, and they are extremely alarming as well as embarrassing.  I'm going to try some of the other suggestions, and also try to keep strong lozenges in my purse.  I can go a long time without a spasm but two on the same night alarmed me.  I am relieved to hear that you don't die from it, because that's what it feels like.
Well I have the same issues. Tickle in throat sets off a coughing fit. Hard to breath, can't talk, and lasts about 10 minutes. Sometimes it is after eating sometimes it just happens for no reason. It is like someone has a feather in my throat. Problem is worse in dry warm air. Been to many doctors with no success.
hi i have got a very bad cough and have got asthma but when i cough i wet myself and im bein sick 2, can anyone help me as its as to been gone by the 13 may as im doing the race for life
I have exactly the same thing as you, it's either a smell, a laugh, rushing, a shock, eating most foods, excitement. and on the list goes..you name it and it drives me and my family bonkers... I would like nothing else than a cure...I really empathise with you
I have been suffering with coughing spasms for the last three months. I have them about 3 or 4 times a day and they are especially bad at night. I have tried many remedies but I never could believe it was COPD and sinus infections didn't seem to be a reason for the severity of my illness, because I have them every year for months at a time.  Last night, the mucus seemed to have dropped into my lungs and my breathing  was very difficult and even talking was an effort so I headed to the emergency room. I met a doctor who told me he suspected PERTUSSIS and after reading the data, I tend to agree. I am 62 and most of the people I know who are sharing this issue, are within ten years of my age range. And as the doctor said, our generation was never innoculated against pertussis. The immunizations came when we had our children and our own health risks were not considered as critical but NOW as we age, the pertussis factor has really cropped up and created health issues for us! Check it out! It's worth a shot!
Just Google  The Mystery Chronic Cough

The Mystery Chronic Cough (a.k.a. habit cough, tic cough, psychogenic cough, irritable larynx syndrome)A typical patient with the chronic cough is described as follows:
◦Started during or after recovering from a viral laryngitis and/or upper respiratory infection
◦Dry cough
◦Cough occurs due to no perceivable reason...perhaps only a tickle
◦Cough may occur several times an hour to even as often as several times a minute. Must be distinguished from whooping cough (severe attacks of a choking cough that lasts 1-2 minutes often with near vomiting and appearance of suffocation. Watch Mayo Clinic video).
◦Cough does not seem to get better with time (months or even years)
◦All diagnostic studies performed come back normal
◦Endoscopy of the throat and voicebox is normal (this exam will be performed on the first visit to ensure that there is no anatomic reason for the cough). Such anatomic factors that may trigger a cough include an elongated uvula as well as large tonsils (Link #1 • Link #2 • Link #3 • Link #4)

If this description sounds like you, you may have chronic cough due to laryngeal sensory neuropathy (aka, sensory neuropathic cough, vagal neuropathy, etc). What does this mean? Essentially, this means that the nerve that provides sensation to the voicebox and is responsible for triggering the cough reflex has been injured, usually by a virus. When this happens, the nerve's level of sensitivity before it triggers the cough reflex becomes markedly reduced; in other words, it becomes hyper-sensitive. This situation is akin to the elevated sensitivity of the skin producing pain even with the lightest touch after healing from a bad burn, even if the skin appears completely normal. Other related forms of such sensory neuropathy include diabetic neuropathy, post-herpetic neuralgia, phantom limb pain, etc.

Dr. Chang was recently featured in Healthy Happenings, a regional quarterly publication. The article mainly focused on one of Dr. Chang's patient whom he had diagnosed and successfully treated for laryngeal sensory neuropathy as a cause of her chronic cough for over 10 years.
There is also a list of links to professionals in the USA and Canada who are familiar with this condition
I posted a link for all June 9, 2012 hope this helps
B12  deficiency is also linked to chronic cough have your levels checked
What kind of red wine did you give to your mother?  I'm thinking of doing the same for my husband because the doctor is not helping at all.  He, too, coughs until he chokes, though he has COPD, and the only thing that stops it is cough medicine with codeine which makes him sleep constantly and he said that is no way to live and the wine idea sounds better to him.  So, he wants me to find out what kind of red wine or if just any kind will do?

Thank you.
I would like to begin about a year and a half ago.  I had back surgery and about a week after began having a cough that lasted for months.  I went to doctors again and again--specialists who were excellent doctors. However, nothing they did helped.  I was given steroids, antibiotics, inhalers. I was taking asthma medication, using a nebulizer.  Nothing was helping and not only did I have the cough and constant tickle in my throat, but I could hardly walk across the room without getting short of breath.  I was becoming very discouraged and frustrated.  So I made up my mind I was going to figure it out myself because I just "knew" I didn't have asthma.  I began doing some research and came across a book suggesting it might be a yeast or fungal infection.  So if yeast was the problem, then almost every treatment I had been doing was making it worse. At the same time I began having a conversation with a friend who had the same problems several years earlier.  She felt it was a yeast infection.  She advised me to take probiotics, antifungal medication, cut out any kind of yeast or sugar products.  It was about 4 days before I went to the health food store to get medications, but I did cut out sugar and bread and within 2 days, I could not believe the improvement. I took probiotics for about 2 months and the antifungal medication I took for 6-8 mo.  Whenever I would eat a dessert, I would start getting that tickle in my throat, would take the antifungal medication and feel better in usually an hour.  This past spring I was diagnosed with diabetes so I really had to cut out sugar, but it brought more improvement to the lung problem.  I am not suggesting this is diagnosis for everyone, but I feel that it is imperative that we empower ourselves--no one knows your body better than you do and even very good doctors are fallible.  In fact most docs are not trained very much in the treatment of fungal problems.  I feel that as we use more and more antibiotics for a cure all, there will be more yeast problems.  There are several very good books about yeast and changes in diet can make so much difference.
Sorry this post is so long, but I do want to address one other concern because I feel like it is related.  I believe that due to the yeast, my lungs have had some "damage" and about 2 months ago, I came down with a respiratory infection which after 3 weeks was diagnosed as whooping cough and I think I was more susceptible to this because of my history. Anyway, It is very scary to have because of the cough, then the feeling your throat is closing, and you can't breath.  I have had terrible laryngitis almost the entire time.  The doc says it is irritation to the vocal chords from the severe coughing and also acid reflux. Even after all these weeks, I still start coughing and sometimes throw up. I go out in public some, but it is very hard interacting with people.  The other day my son said something funny and I started to laugh, but the next thing I knew I was choking.  I just seem not to be able to handle stress or "excitement" without losing my breathe.  Yet I have found very little information addressing these issues. Hopefully in the next month, I will continue to improve and I do advise people to make sure they have the pertussis vaccine.
I have been having these coughing fits for over 10 years. Gasping, choking, coughing out but can't breathe in. My sister found a site suggesting an acupressure point called the laryngospasm notch (go figure) - between the bone of the mastoid process and your ears. Solid pressure and the spasm stops. I was amazed! After years of Zantac, Tums, throat sprays and lozenges, doctors, prescriptions and just accepting that this was something I would have to live with it turns out that I CAN do something to stop it. Hope this helps you as much as it has me.
I'm 15 and I recently had a cold which is now gone but the cough has stayed with me, and I  cough throughout the day and sometimes when i'm coughing I can't stop at all and I can't get any air and then I get slightly dizzy, it also panics me as well. Does anyone know what  this might be if anything?
The  same thing happens to me but no dr can figure out what is wrong.  did you ever get any answers
I have very similar symptoms. I been coughing with a mild sore throatfor a month with loose white phlegm. Sometimes I cough so hard my throat closes up and/or I throw up. I went to my Dr. A week ago and she gave me a Z pack. It has not helped. I'm coughing even more than I did before.  I have experienced acid reflux in the past. The last time was 3 or 4 months ago. It was so bad I could taste the acid in my mouth. I didn't mention this to my Dr. And she never asked. I have to go back to her and discuss the next step.
I can only relate my symptoms and you can compare them to yours:
Last summer I was besieged by violent spasmodic coughing fits after a sudden twitch, tickle or spasm at the back of my throat. I could not speak or breathe and had to dive into privacy where I coughed up mucus continually, almost gagging. Drowning in mucus. Eyes streamed, nose ran. Very unattractive and quite frightening. Gasping for breath. These occurred several times a day and at night with no warning except for that ominous throat tingle/tickle to start them off. They were violent and uncontrollable. I tried everything: allergy relief, honey, cough syrups - nothing worked to control the attacks.
The fall was spent seeing numerous specialists (ENT, Lung, etc.), having chest X-rays, CT Scans, PET scans. Nothing turned up. By mid winter the coughing fits had stopped. The doctors were stumped.
In the spring I had yet another coughing attack, then another. So I decided to do some self-diagnosis. After much research, it turned out to be Chlorine Poisoning in my case. As soon as I stopped adding Chlorine tabs by hand to the pool, the coughing fits abated and disappeared. I was taking in Chlorine gas just by opening the bucket and then through the skin on my hands by handling the tabs.
So I know not all of you are dealing with pool Chlorine tabs per se, but you are swimming in heavily chlorinated pools, and dealing with loads of cleaning products and bleaches that are full of Chlorine.  Chlorine is hugely poisonous to our systems. Google it: Chlorine Poisoning. And then check what you do on a daily basis and see if Chlorine is involved. Cleansers (industrial and domestic), bleaches, solvents for dry cleaning, insecticides, dyestuffs - anything with Chlorine in it should be handled with utmost care so as not to breathe the fumes or let it penetrate the skin.
I hope this helps even a few of you...
Yes. It is very scary. They are telling me I have broncitis. And I'm on steroids, albuterol, cough medicine with codeine and mucinex. I've had broncitis plenty of times before but not like this. I looked up the laryngospasm on the internet too. It doesn't seem to be too much about it, no real cause or treatment. I sleep very little because I wake up coughing and fighting to get any air in or out about every hour or two. Exhaling seems to be the worst. I've been experiencing this for 9 days now. I don't feel like I'm getting any better. They xrayed my neck and chest, took blood and urine. They said they can't find anything wrong with me. I sure feel like there's something wrong with me. Terri3359.
Terri3359
I would love to know the name of the site. I'm having that same problem. I had a cold about a week before the spasms started.
Omg. I have been going through this for years. I have a chronic cough, but when I feel that prickly sensation in the back of my throat on the right side I know I am going to have one of these coughing fits. I cannot breathe. I feel my airway is closed. I have learned to try not to panic, that is difficult, and to breathe. When I am in control I bring up mucus as well as huge burps. I cough for 10 to 15 minutes  after which I become shaky, my face is so red and tears streaming down my face. I am embarrassed so I hide in the restroom at work or my office until I am composed again. Sometimes when I eat something and it hits that spot in my throat I will have a coughing fit. Chemical odors, perfumes, cigarette smoke, dust, candles, incense, cold air, air conditioning and heat all trigger a cough. I went to a throat specialist and all he said was he could see nothing and I had such a huge gag factor. I went for pulmonary testing and nothing was found. I went to an allergist and my only positive was to yard grass. I had a coughing fit one day at Home Depot suddenly and right in they'd file of the alley coughed up mucus and my coffee; I couldn't control it and I was so embarrassed. Usually I have these coughing attacks at work. Occasionally at night when I am sleeping. I embarrassed myself once in a restaurant, I had a coughing fit and passed gas;  everyone around me started laughing; I wanted to run and hide. I go in a grocery store and immediately start coughing. My grandmother had the same issues. My big fear is when I have an attack and cannot breathe is that I am going to pass out or won't be able to breathe again.
I also have the gaging cough at least once a day.  I have only had the throat spasm 4 times.  Yesterday had one around my daughter she was really scared. Also I couldn't breath and was wheezing.
I also have seen ENT and Pulmonary Specialist.  Nothing helps the coughing.
I spoke to my GP Dr. and will try carrying an EPI pen to see if this will work when the throat closes.  The difference this time is a severe Migrane (migraine) for 2 days.  
This is exactly what I have had since December, it's now April.   I looked up pertussis,  and found that we (ages around 65) did not receive a vaccination for pertussis.   The doctors didn't begin giving these vaccinationsuntil around the time we had our children.   Thus, many adults our age are now getting this.   I am so happy I read your post.   The online CDC (Center for Disease Control) says a vaccination of Tdap will help us.   Im telling my doctor tomorrow.  The following website let's you listen to people who have this.   Take a listen.   This is exactly what I have been doing.   http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/pubs-tools/audio-video.html#pertussis-sounds.  
Thanks this is a great explanation especially when I have been diagnosed with Eagle's syndrome.
Did you ever get better? I'm getting so depressed since these same symptoms are keeping me from getting much sleep.
I get the same coughing spells once my allergies start up. I try to calm them down by keeping a hard candy, cough drop or amazingly enough a starburst in my mouth to keep salivating. That might sound gross but by putting one under my tongue when I am trying to sleep but instead wake up to my throat tickling and a coughing fit ( complete with the streaming tears, red face and possible bladder leakage) I am able to sleep through the night. I guess this could be a choking hazard but I have never had an issue and 3 nights of waking up every hour with one of these fits made it necessary. I guess I'll ask my doctor to do the test for Laryngeal spasm- I'd love to get rid of this. My family thinks I'm weird when I tell them a small part of my throat dried up and trickered me to choke then start violently  coughing .
To everyone on here with really bad coughing systems get checked Histoplasmosis...I had cat scans X-rays an all that last year an they never found nothing an I got a new doctor that put me on allergy meds that didn't work the coughing got so bad I tasted like a metal taste in my mouth or when I would cough an I could just feel something in my lungs an chest so was put on an albuterol inhaler an cough meds an meds for gerd but still did work so by this time I had been coughing day an night all day long for 3months it got so bad I couldn't leave the house everything sent me into convulsive coughing I wasn't eating or sleeping good I had to sleep propped up on pillow because when I would lay down I coughed worse it got so bad my husband thought I was gonna die because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me an even I thought I was gonna die at one point because it was so horrible an painful I got to where I was coughing so hard an much I was loosing my breathe an by the time I caught it I started throwing up an was peeing on myself constantly from coughing and even broke ribs on my right side from the convulsive coughing but out of 4 doctors none of them found nothing I was put on meds 4 gerd allergies an albuterol inhaler an a steroid inhaler breathing treatments antibiotics an cough meds all at once then my doctor called for me to come in an I had lucked up she reviewed my X-rays again an found something an sent it to get reviewed by a professional and the said I had histoplasmosis an they said it only comes from being around the Kentucky river in which I had never been so come to find out you can also get it from inhaling air from where bird or bat dropping are in which where I used to walk the track in the park where there where a lot of trees and birds and bats an it made perfect since because it was exactly around the time that I started feeling symptoms well I hope this helps you all
its 4am Cali time. I've been dealing with this for 2 weeks now. The Dr. told me I couldn't die but my gosh I feel like I am. I can't breath(literally) for 5-7 seconds then I get a little breath then back again. I'm glad you explained the throwing up. Thank God I saw your post. I am going to get scoped and I feel like I should get a MRI. This has been the WORST and SCARIEST thing I have ever been through. I am now giving myself vocal rest(not speaking) My Dr. said my nodules are sticking together and that's why the spasm's are happening, along with my silent reflux. I am on predisone because of my chest breathing. I am so glad I read your post, thanks for sharing.
I am writing this after just having a violent coughing spasm 25 minutes ago. I have had these spasms for over 5 years now. I have at least 1 to 2 a month with no explanation to what might have triggered it. It starts with a tickle in the back of the throat that naturally I feeled compelled to alleviate by swallowing. Next thing that happens is after I swallow and begin to draw a breathe, the air irritates the my wind pipe even more causing the coughing spell. I begin to vomit and lose bladder control. Next thing that happens scares me into a panic because I can barely breath. It feels like my wind pipe is closing and I cant talk or even yell for help. If I tried, then the spasm starts over again and I worry that my wind pipe will close completely. This coughing episode is so scary that I actually thought I was going to die. The only thing that I have found to help after an attack is to drink something hot such as tea, coffee, ect; breathe through your nose slowly and  no matter what- dont cough! Try not to cough or clear your throat for at least five minutes or else that tinkle comes right back and you will have another violent episode. My coughing spasm happen whenever and more often if I have a cold. I noticed other people have them right after they eat or have had a cold. With me, none of those  situations matter because my coughing spasm happen right out of the blue of which makes it absolutely impossible to figure out what the trigger is.
Oh yeah, one other helpful piece of advice... promethazine better known as phenergan seems to help stop the spasm from reoccurring for 6 to 8 hours after an attack has occurred. Of course you need a prescription for it, but if you have this medication its worth a shot.
Hi, Cynthia.
I'm 17 and I have had this problem throughout my life (so far) when I was about 5 my parents told me I had a spasm that lasted about 30 minutes until I eventually passed out, they took me to the ER and said there was nothing that could have actually started it. But it's been years since I've went back to get it checked on, every result I get is just not it,  my spasms last up to 20 minutes and usually happen during school hours, I don't know what to do, I'm terrified everyday that it'll happen again, my friends have told me to just get an inhaler but I don't think that would work, I can't find anyone who have had these cough spasms, I'm glad I found this forum. I really just need to know how to stop this from happening or at least help it, I had one about 40 minutes ago, it's 5:25 am and I woke up severely coughing, and gasping for breath, it was scary but I knew to get up and relax, that doesn't help much though, I eventually end up with tears rolling down my face and shaking, I'm fed up, I need to get an answer that sounds right.
I too am suffering from this. About three days ago I got. Bad cold,  I woke up on the second day and got a spams Oh my God! It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me!!! I could.not breathe at all for like 40 seconds, I had four episode two of them which I was home alone and hurt my elbow Jung a and down, what a scary feeling you really do become helpless ,  y doctor said it was acute bronchitis and have me antibiotics and coughing syrup, here i am on my four day today and it's 1:00 am and I don't want to fall to sleep I'm so scared because in the morning is the worst, and I normally spams whe imdnt have a cold. But I can control those because there is not flem (phlegm), I literally choke on air oh help if anyone can give some pointers how to deal with this situation , tomorrow I will be gong to the doctors again and let her know about the spams ,my husband had know idea how bad it got until he expirienced it hi. Self. My email is ***@**** and one that can give me any kind of advise
I am currently 26 years old and healthy. I have suffered from there fits for at lest 10 years now.... I don't remember what brought on the first one, but I usually get them in the spring and fall every year... they have gotten worse from when I was a teenager in school...  They seem to happen in clusters I will have a few week span where I have several a day and then not have another one for months, the first symptom is usually a tickling sensation in my throat, followed by an extreme sense of anxiety (cold water seems to help and usually I will try to get a drink right away) my throat become hot and I find it helps if I try to calmly breathe through my nose.  once I give in and cough my body violently shakes and I cough and heave to the point I will vomit.  my face is red and my eyes tear and cry... there is no real sign one is coming on and I usually have only seconds to a minute to get some cold water before vomiting.  it seems they happen at the most inconvenient times (waiting room, store, driving...)  I have never ben to a dr, for this, but after finding this site and realizing this is  real thing I will call in he a.m.  is there anything anyone has noticed that helps???    
Oh wow, I can't believe how many people suffer from what I suffer from.  I have been dealing with this for the last 20 years.  And I just now found this site so I can imagine there are way more of us out here without any kind of real diagnosis or help.  It's a rare day that I don't cough.  But I want to differentiate it because although both kinds are horrible, one is a chronic everyday event and the other is more occasional, and much more violent.  It started many years ago, I remember it happening once almost 30 years ago.  But in the last 20 years it has progressed with me.  It seems worse in the winter.  The tickle, and then the dried out feeling like sandpaper (usually on just one side of my throat) that puts me almost into an immediate violent coughing fit.  It's like I can't get moisture to that area no matter how much I cough.  And it goes on and one for 5 minutes. Tears rolling down my face, my nose running and the gagging and eventually vomiting.  I have vomited in a restaurant twice over the years.  Talk about embarrassing!  Fortunately most of the time I get it under control before I vomit by nothing but sheer will power.  My husband now just tells people it is a cough variant asthma attack so people aren't freaked out that they will get some horrible disease by being within 20 feet of me.  I have tried every inhaler, every type of medication. I have had every possible test and nothing comes out .  I do have GERDs so I take the proton pump inhibiters.  Nothing really helps me or prevents these violent attacks.  It's almost like having an epileptic seizure.  In the winter it can happen several times a week and always at inopportune times.  It comes out of the blue and with many triggers, smell, dry air, especially airplane air, dust, smoke, you name it.  If that was all I probably could deal with it, but I also have another chonic cough that doesn't come with the dry sand paper throat.  Just the tickling and then I cough very hard for a few minutes every day maybe 5 or ten times a day.  Rarely would it cause me to gag badly to the point of vomiting.  Again winters are far worse. For years I have taken Dayquil and Nyquil which do help a lot. But this winter it was much worse.
I'm now 61 and this cough is really taking a toll on me.  I no longer laugh because it will trigger my cough.  It's getting hard to talk without coughing.  I never go anywhere without the strongest cough drops, (Fisherman's Friend).  They help a little sometimes.  Sometimes herbal tea with honey helps a bit.  I'm just so tired of it and I don't even talk about it to my doctors because they just gave up on finding a solution.  I bet I've spent at least $10 to $20 thousand dollars on tests and doctors and meds.  
If someone offered to remove the cough reflex completely I'd jump at the chance.  My doctor has diagnosed me with "reactive airway".  That's me.  I sometimes marvel at people when they swallow the wrong way and they cough 3 or 4 times and its cleared up.  Me?  I cough for at least 5 minutes straight and would be lucky not to vomit!  I've been living this way for so long and everyone that knows me knows I cough.  It's become my identity.  
For years I didn't cough when I slept.  But now I wake up several times a night gasping.  It's amazing that there is no real name for this and no real treatment.    
I have had this problem off and on for years.  There is never a cure and no physician has been able to pinpoint the problem. I do have Lupus, Sjogrens,a multi nodular mass in my thyroid gland, Sinus and allergy problems.  This coughing spasm usually starts after a bout of upper respiratory infections and has happened if I become overheated.  The choking cough begins with an aggravating tickle or burning sensation in my throat and results in vomiting  thick foamy white and/or clear phlegm.  It can occur at any time of the day and is worse at night which is really frightening.  My ears itch, my eyes and nose pour, and the mass in my thyroid has the appearance of a bull frog when I am choking. I have had CT scans from my head to my lungs, X-rays, and Ultrasounds that show nothing. I have been treated with Albuterol, Advair, cough syrup with codeine, steroids and antibiotics.  I have tried OTC Mucinex, Ricola and Cepacol drops.  I have never found any relief.  This has last as long as three continuous months, goes away and returns.  I am glad it's not just in my mind, as I see several individuals complaining with these same symptoms.  I pray that some physician will soon find something that will either cure or remedy this annoying, aggravating, humiliating, whatevertheheck this is. I am going to a Pulmonologist and a Gastroenterologist soon.  I have had my esophagus dilated twice and may be an issue with me again.  God Bless all of you who suffer with this.
I have like one spot that isn't in my throat but further down like in the larynx
that almost itches. I know what causes it. I use inhalers and when I use them as I am supposed to, I am guaranteed to get the itchy spot. Needless to say, it is annoying and can be embarrassing because there is no control of the coughing it causes.
I too have this annoying and scary problem but I have found two remedies that will offset an attack. This worked for me and stopped the annoying tickle/itch at the back of the throat. I grabbed a bottle of honey and literally squeezed about a tablespoon amount into my mouth and swallowed. This stopped the tickle and urge to start coughing dead in its tracks. Then, to keep the itch/tickle at bay for awhile, follow up with Chloroseptic sore throat spray to help slightly numb your throat. This solution is not a permanent fix but sure beats violently coughing, vomiting and not being able to breathe in or out.
Good luck to all.
Your suggestion for honey is a good one. Let me tell you my ritual when I feel this sudden tickle, loss of breath, and cough spasm. I have come to believe that what is happening is that I have inhaled some small particle (dust, pollen, saliva) and it catches between my trachea (windpipe) and esophagus. I immediately get some water and kleenex. I slowly inhale through my nose (I know it's hard to do when you feel like you can't breathe), then blow out through my nose, inhale again (even if it's only a little) then blow the nose again. Take some sips of water, if at home try a dab of honey. Keep gently blowing the nose and sipping water until you can speak again. Suck on a lozenge to soothe the throat. I believe this blows the particle out of the airway to a place it can be swallowed. This has helped my attacks be less fearful and severe, I just wish they wouldn't happen. It's embarrassing and you can't predict where you'll be when it happens. PS I have cats and wouldn't be surprised if they contribute to it. I have to use an air cleaner at home and keep my home well vacuumed.
I have this tickle in back of my throat and when I try to clear it. I start to cough. Kind of like spasm cough. I had walking pneumonia about three weeks ago. Anyone know of anything that might work to clear this cough.
I had pneumonia and now I have this cough.  The only time I don't cough is when I am in bed with my head elevated or eating...sometimes I cough even when eating.  I had the same thing happen years ago after pneumonia and ended up with paracarditis.  Don't know what to do....please help
Viewing 201-235 comments: