violent coughing...is it laryngeal spasms?
Hello. Yesterday my doctor suggested I might have Laryngeal Spasms, and while I wait 2 months for the Throat specialist to get my appointment, she suggested I look online.  But my symptoms don't seem to match all of yours...no voice problems or 'breathing' problems.  I just get these violent coughing attacks that literally feel and behave as if I inhaled a bread crumb, and my body suddenly and violently is trying to cough it up.  And just like when we are choking, I have a hard time catching my breath during these violent choking fits.   By the time I'm done 4-8 minutes later, I'm shaking, tears streaming down my face, and I've probably wet myself.  Its horrible!  Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Oh, and this happens at all hours of the day and night, and usually, its not when I'm eating.   Its frightening to wake up from a deep sleep choking like this. She suggested curbing any reflux I might be having, but I rarely ever have heartburn (but I'll try anything now!)  I do note that it happens more often when my respiratory system is weakened by a cold, or allergy season, or even a little cough.  I'm thinking she might be in the right ballpark, but not the right diagnosis.  Thanks for your help.  
I HAVE THE SAME THING..  IT FEELS LIKE DUST OR CRUMBS  IN MY THROAT, USUALLY RIGHT SIDE. I WILL COUGH  CANT TALK  OR BREATH, CORDS ARE ACTUALLY CLOSING.  I CARRY A EPPI  PEN  AND HAVE HAD TO CALL EMS, I USE MY INHALER AND NEBULIZER, BUT DONT HELP MUCH, AND I NEVER KNOW WHEN ONE WILL COME ON EITHER
Wow!  Thank you!!  Its so nice to know I'm not alone!  

I was sent to an ear, nose and throat specialist, who found nothing wrong, and concluded I must have acid reflux.  (???)  While I do find this hard to believe, I'm still taking their anti heartburn medication nightly.  Unfortunately, I'm at my worst when I'm weakened by allergies (spring) or a cold, so I have to 'wait' for one or the other to trigger a wave of episodes to convince this doctor (or myself) the accuracy of his diagnosis.  

Meanwhile, does your epi pen work? I thought epi pens were for severe allergic reactions?  What have your doctors suggested causes your episodes and what was their solution? (If you don't mind my asking...I'm not feeling very confident in my doctors right now.)

If this helps you, I've learned that when I feel it coming, pose myself and try to relax.  It most certainly causes an instinctual panic (almost for my very survival!) when it happens, and the more I can remain calm, inhale deeply initially while I still can, I can help myself to lessen the severity and the duration of these attacks.  My initial instinct is to run for a glass of water, although I have to remember I can choke on that for real!  But, while I can, it seems to calm me a bit.  (And then as soon as I'm done, keep the bladder empty in case it happens again soon, which I often have repeats)

Have you found any tricks that help you?

Thanks again for writing!

Deba
Hi Deba,

I can relate to you as well.  My cough has been going on for almost three years and occurs every two months or so.  Like you I was originally told that I had acid reflux which was crazy.  My cough is a strong itch more under my right ear than in my chest; the cough is never in my chest, just in this location.  I can press my finger on the area and cause myself to cough.  If I am eating something (especially salty foods) and swallow, if a grain of food gets on the area I start to cough.  If I lay on my right side and have sinus drainage, I cough.  I have an appointment with another ENT tomorrow and plan on crying, kicking and screaming to get something done because at this point everyone wants me to just keep using Nasonex and Allegra D which only makes the cough drier rather than helping.  
Hello to all of you who suffer from this horrible cough.  I too am inflicted with this.  This violent cough will come on for no reason at all. I have acid reflux but that is under control.  Have been to pulmonary doctors, had several lung tests done and told they could not find anything.  There must be something to cause the coughing spells.  PLEASE if any of you find a doctor who can cure this please e-mail me.  I will travel anywhere.  My e-mail address is cynthia.***@****  

I haven't had much luck with doctors either, it does seem to be related to allergies, colds etc.
On thing that does help is to purse your lips almost like you are going to whistle and breath slowing in / out. That usually keeps me from closing up completely. Try not to breath in hard, that always seems to make it close up tighter, hard not to do when you feel like you can't breath tho.

lbr
OMG!  Finally, I am so excited to have finally found people with the same thing I am suffering!  I too have had this damn cough for at least 5 years now. Also have been to  lung doctors, ent doctors, also a cardio doctor.  Nothing is EVER Wrong...except of course "probable" acid reflux and allergies to dust bunnies...I remember when it first came on was a really bad flu virus and I had laryngitis.  It has now come to the point where I am having fainting spells as well as a seizure. I'm also going through pre menapause and when it's "supposed" to be that time, and I have a lot of water retention, it gets bad then too as well as a cold and allergy symptoms.  

I really hate that we are all suffering from this weird problem...And I also pray that someone can find something to  make them stop.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS IS ME TOO, IT JUST STARTED AFTER I WAS TOLD I HAD BRONCITIS. I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE THE ADVAIR ENHALER HE GAVE ME SO I STOPPED IT BUT THIS HAD HAPPENED 5 TIMES IN THE PAST 2 WEEKS RECENT WAS LAST NIGHT.  MY THROAT FEELS DRY AND IT ALWAYS HAPPENS AT NIGHT DURING SLEEP, THAT TICKLE AND THE COUGH STARTS ALL BY ITSELF AND I FEEL LIKE I MAY BE FOUND DEAD ON THE FLOOR.  IT TAKES ALL I HAVE TO START TRYING TO BREATHE THROUGH MY NOSE, I GET RED FACED, FACE WET WITH TEARS, IT IS THE MOST AWFUL FEELING. GOING TO DOCTOR ON MONDAY, SEE IF THAT HELPS.  I COUGH ALL THE TIME BUT THESE EVENTS AT NIGHT ARE SO VERY SCARY. I JUST CAN'T GET AIR, LAST NIGHT I HAD A HARD TIME EVEN GETTING AIR INTO MY NOSE.   I AM SO GLAD TO HAVE SOME ONE TO SHARE WITH, I  JUST WANT IT TO STOP
hi everone! i'm a newbie diagnosed after 31/2 yrs, 4 respitory failures with paradoxical vocal fold movement. i was diagnosed by a ent critical care specialist from mayo. a wonderful dr. who preformed a videostrobolaryngoscopy. (so i got to see it for myself!) i was referred after a pulmologist i was going to could not figure out what was going on. i had been to two other ent's, another pulmologist and an asthma dr. whom none of them diagnosed the problem short of acid reflux. taking in or blowing out air fast causes them to spasm shut. i now can only breath thru my nose. they never did say what to do if i catch a cold.....nose spray i guess. inhalers, breathing tests, hurrying, walking up a long flight of stairs, wind and many things set it off. i too have awakened at nite with a choking sensation. or not being able to swallow. panic city!! hope some of this helps.
Hi, I have finaly been diagnosed with Laryngeal spasms, i too had had these choaking fits which always happened when i was fast asleep, very frightening. I was tested for sleep Apneoa anthis is how they found out what I had.Apparently fluid can seep from the back of the nose  and go down the throat the brain reacts to stop the fluid going into the lungs which closes the voice box, this then stops you breathing, the brain then realises that the lungs arent working so wakes you up and that is why you wake up coughing and trying to get your breath, this is how it was explained to me. I have been told that it is not dangerous and that I will always wake up, it is just very stressfull. I notice one of the ladies that has commented on here say that she retains a lot of fluid,  I also do and have noticed that these choaking fits occur around my menstrual cycle, the consultant said that a build up of fluid or heartburn will and can set off these choaking fits. Hope this has helped.
Hi, I had an episode at work yesterday-went straight for a glass of water
which didn't help but calmed me down a bit.Previous episodes have been accompanied by a violent cough(last year my vasovagal nerve kicked in and I fainted). I had pulmonary tests and was diagnosed with reactive lungs.My GP prescribed a daily puff of Flixotide which has helped with both my lungs and larynx.
I am 46, healthy, surf and swim a lot, and have only experienced this the last few years in cold dry weather or when I have a touch of the flu- usually when talking on the phone or when sleeping,but never when eating.
My mum has had some scary episodes over the past 20 years and prompted me to google this forum.There must be an easier solution than steroids to alleviate the problem.
.
I have been having these coughing fits for over 10 years. Started when I went in to the ER with abdominal pain in which they did a CT scan and a IVP with contrast. My throat felt like it was closed off during the test which they said was normal. But I am still having problems.
Starts with a tickle like a pin *****, then like a crumb in my throat and the coughing starts to the point where I can only get a small breath in thru my nose.The tears, snot,red face and sometimes throw up. It feels like a spasm in my throat. Temp changes, quick breaths like if you get startled, deep breaths, smells, food and salt,  even if my hair tickles my face,you name it. DH thinks it's all in my head, nope it is all in my throat. Of you place you finger outside in the dip of your neck where it goes to the chest and go up 1-2 inches, this is where it all goes on. So is it vocal cords or laryngeal spasms? Or are they the same? The coughing fits happen over 10 times a day.Everyday!
hi there, i cannot believe i have just found some people with the same affliction as myself, i am now 41 soon to be 42 and i have suffered this since i was a 15 yr old boy at school. i used to have to walk part way to school in mornings and mostly for the five years of secondary school i arrived into school soaked due to the rain, i had to then wear wet clothes all day and dry them on me. I always thought this was the cause.when i left school at 16 i started work in a garage where the onset of heartburn set in, and i have suffered ever since.18 mnths ago after a series of tests i was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and some of the worst acid reflux the consultant had ever experienced.. He informed me that i was a prime candidate for surgery.i used to be an out going young man who had a strong stomach for hunting , cleaning and preparing animals for cooking etc strong smells never bothered me in the slightest. it was after a while as a married man i noticed in my early 20's i nolonger could stomach strong smells, dirty napies/ hairspray/de-oderant etc as they brought on a choking sensation and then violent coughing which always resulted in vomiting..this vomiting had its moments  and came without warning, driving the car? you can imagine how dangerous this was wit me then vomiting all over the dash board of the car, out for a nice meal and a certain smell of certain food would have me threwing up all over the resturaunt table..my coughing is as exactly as is described in other comments in this tpoic to the letter . one other thing is my voice goes hoarse and last year i had to have vocal cord nodules removed, i fear these are back again.. could all these things be linked, could i have a hyper allergic reaction to something which triggers of the coughing, hte violent coughing inturn has weakend the pshinter muscle in my chest and produced the hernia?
could the acid reflux or the gas given off by the extra acid be now triggering the violent coughing fits?
and inturn then damaging my vocal cords?. i do not know, i was in casualty 2 nights ago and had my bloods done, chest xray, and heart trace, all fine, but i have this very real condition, made even more real by yourselves ..ive been told its not life threatening , beleive me it doesnt feel that way when your gasping for air and about to pass out
especially when trying to slow down and stop safely in the car.  one other thing that has progressed is the fact that sometimes i will also take a little chill feeling when getting undressed for bed, this is followed by violent shaking threw cold feeling my teeth chatter and i cannot get heat into me no matter what, i will be sweating profusly and cannot get up because of the cold, in the norning i will have to change everything on the bed and also dry the matress, this is not the normal though this only happens sometimes.some of you people are real lucky that you have only had this condition for a few years, i feel as i get older i will not be able to cope with the panic adn stress it causes.
one more thing, dont you just hate the busting headaces you get after every coughing fit?
                                                                    regards neil
excuse my haste and spelling mistakes, i actually got excited writing this as  no longer think this is all IN MY HEAD!!!! thank you forum
I too have this violent coughing, it is a tickling/itching sensation in  a small spot below my right jaw and ear, it goes away after I cough so hard it rattles that spot, my eyes water, nose runs and it gives almost no
warning. It all started a few years ago when I developed what seems like bronchitis. It was at its worst when I took lisinipril for hypertension, sometimes if I feel it coming I can rub that spot with my finger and stop it, or put pressure on that spot when I am coughing, it is pretty scary.

Thanks,
Ron
My mother also suffers from this rare case. She has been to just about every specialist... and they keep putting her on different medications. And they never seem to work for her. She literally wakes up in the middle of the night not able to breathe, its the most scariest thing. They say she has sarcoi (excuse my spelling) but the medications they gave her actually just seem to make her worse, they had put her on this certain medication and it ended up makin her blood pressure go up, and she started to have blurry vision and see light streaks, and she was disoriented she went to the hospital her bp was 205 over 105 , she was pretty much on her way to having a heart attack. Its crazy1 I just want them to find  a cure for this, im afraid to find her one morning, that is how bad this has gotten!
welcome to my life! it's been 19years of my coughing and clearing my throat.
i've been to so many "specialists" - the last one at womens college hospital in toronto, who's exact words were "f*** if i know" what it is.
lovely
i dont know where else to turn. my doctor has referred me back to him. i see people have gone to the cleveland clinic  and may clinics and still nothing.
what do we do
it's hard to meet people when you cough throughout every sentence. people do look at you as if you have some form of tuberculosis.
and how annoying is it that you have to explain to everybody that you do not have a cold.and that you live with this daily?
i've cracked a rib, because of this constant cough. sometimes my coughing fits are soo bad that i vomit.
i cannot carry on a normal conversation.
my friends are totally fed up with this. too hard to keep a relationship, actually too embarassed to start one . cannot go out in public and not get nasty looks!
what the heck do we have? i feel like an alien...
surely there must me a cure somewhere. do doctors not read these blogs? you would think that some doctor must know something. somewhere???
please please,if you have found any sort of solution, post it!
i am soo very tired of this
thank GOD I found this forum.  I had this happen for about the 4th time in 4 years, just the other day and it seemed to last forever.  I just knew I way dying, cause I couldn't get air from anywhere.  I started to say something and a little
saliva hit my throat and immediately my throat closed.  I tried getting air from everywhere to no avail.  I was gasping so hard I thought I would have a heart attack. My chest has been sore for 3 days since. My husband was with me
and didn't know whether to hit my back, call 911 or what.  I don't know wha to do when it happens cause I immediately
panic and I have asthma and it starts my asthma.  I am petrified of having any tests or surgeries because I'm afraid I will have one of these spasms and die trying to get my breath.  There has got to be something they can do for this.;
By the way, it seemed to be happening more often before the doctor put me on prozac. Now sometimes I can catch myself getting ready to do this and relax.  I have also had a lot of stress in my life and it's ongoing.  When I am more stressed is when it happens.
I do have the coughing at night and feel like the soft spot in back of throat touches
the back of my tongue when I sleep.  
my problem started about 2 months ago after a bout of bronchitis.  I thought at first i must have adult onset asthma but my breathing seems more labored with inspiration than expiration and i know with asthma u have trouble doing both.  my symptoms  are very simuliar to all of u above....but does anyone hear/feel a click in the throat after "an attack"...like theres some swellling of the throat that has not yet resolved.  my husband has told me he can hear me swallow after a violent attack or even a mild one...and of course i can feel it.
I too, like you all, have the same symptoms.  My throat also feels swollen.  It seems like is shouldn't even bother going to the doctor since none of them have helped any of you.  Right now I'm thinking of having my husband take me to the hospital emergency room since it is so bad.
OMG I AM SO GLAD TO KNOW IM NOT ALONE!!I HAVE HAD A CHRONICCOUGH SINCE 2000,AND I AM FED UP.ITS RULING MY LIFE,IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE AS THE YEARS GO BY.I HAD A BAD COUGHING ATTACK TONIGHT,TO THE POINT WHERE I LOSE MY BREATH,MY THROAT FEELS LIKE ITS CLOSING IN,I HAVE TO OPENTHE WINDOW TO TRY AND GET SOME AIR,VERY SCARY...ALSO LOSE CONTROL OF MY BLADDER..I AM SO FED  UP WITH THIS COUGHING  DOES SOMEONE HAVE AN ANSWER...
So glad to read this and hope my little bit of experience can help someone.  I am an asthmatic and never had this happen until after I started using products like Advair (powdered inhalers)...at one point I had read online that these can cause that side effect in some people.  I stopped using it, and the spasms stopped.  When I suffered with them the only thing that would help was sucking on a cough drop, candy immediately...it would make the spasm subside.  Hope this helps someone....
I too have so many of the symptoms you all mentioned, however I have wonderful doctors who have diagnosised me with Vocal Cord Dysfunction.  I attend speech therapy and biofeed back and have not have a major episode in weeks. This is a fairly new diagnoses so many doctors do not actually know about it.

Mine started like many of you, I had bronchitis, then one night I was awoken by not being able to breath. I went to the Emergency Room, and they said it was anxiety.  I have had panic attacks before and this was not one. It went on for about 3 weeks, finally they admitted me and and brilliant Pulmonologist ran some test and I was classic for VCD. I did have severe LaryngealPharyngeal Reflux (you don't get heartburn with that) which was contributing to it. Stress is also a big factor. Hence the biofeed back to help me relax.

Hope this helps.
It seems that the people commenting on this forum have two different set of symptoms.  The first is a chronic cough which results in choking sometimes.  The second is what I have (as in the original post).  Since I was a teenager, after a cold or virus - I get these sudden choking fits.  It can happen anytime, anywhere (seems to be in public most of the time and is so embarassing).  I will be perfectly fine, then BOOM! I feel a catch in my throat, start choking violently, red face, tears running down my face, struggling to get air in my throat and sometimes vomiting.  It alsmost feels like my throat closes for a minute then the choking starts.  It is horribly embarassing and I am afraid to go into too many public places for about 2-3 weeks after a cold.  I work for a doctor and every year we talk about these symptoms and he suggests it may be one of two things: either spasms in my voice box or laryngeal spasms caused by acid reflux.  I do not have typical symptoms of heartburn, etc.,  By the time I decide to see an ENT, my symptoms have gone and I decide not to!  Then, it happens again the next time a I get a cold.  My boss has suggested I try an acid reflux med which I am going to do.  If it doesn't work, I will go see an ENT. Hope this helps!!
I was dianosed with Bronchitis 2 weeks ago. Now that I think back, I've had occasional coughing spells, some quite violent for 2 or so years. Since the bronchitis, the coughing has intensified. 4 nights ago I woke with violent coughing accompanied by stridor. I thought I was going to die and I think the only thing that calmed me down was that my mother was there and I knew she would be upset. Crazy. I saw my doctor that day and he told me it ws probably reflux and try sleeping a recliner. This has not helped at all. I've never had any symptoms of reflux. The episode happened at work today. Beyond it's effect on me, the people I work with and my customers were quite alarmed. It is some comfort to see that others are experiencing the same thing. I especially appreciate the person who actually had a name for ti, Vocal Cord Dysfuntion. Now I can give the doctor something to investigate.
I also have these symptoms.   First I feel a pin stick in the left or right (always one or the other side never both but never the same) side of my throat followed by coughing, watery eye on which ever side the pin stick is on.  I cough and gag and try to get air for like 2 minutes then I am fine until the next "spell"  I know that an antibiotic helps it and makes it go away.  I went to my doctor who sent me to the ENT dr who said it was nothing he could see.  The next time it happened it was with a cold.  I had that infected flem stuff you cough up sometime when you are sick.  I had a perscription for amoxcicillian from a tooth problem so i used the antibiotic to get rid of the flem and it made this problem go away also.  It came back several months later of course.  I did not have a cold or flem this time but I tried an antibiotic and it went away again.  I do know that you can have a sinus infection very deep in your sinus/nose and because there is very little blood circulating in the nose/sinus  an antibiotic does not always knock the infection all the way out and the infection-even though you are better for now--comes back.  My daughter had to have a cat scan for head aches and it ended up being a deep sinus infection so the doctor put her on a long time antibiotic to make sure the infection goes all the way away.  She never ran a fever with the infection so I did not think it could be an infection --but you can have a sinus infection and no fever.  I have had this for about 8 years on and off and it comes and goes.  I have blatter issues and that makes it really bad because you have to make sure you keep the pee shut off while you are coughing.  (sorry guys)  I am glad to know I will probably not die from this now that I know about all of you and you are still living.  I just HATE it.
has this proble for 2 years.  went to two lung doctors told had acid reflux
sinus, asthma, went to two ENT doctors the first said nothing wrong..
but still had the tickle on the right side of my throat,  The second ENT
put her scope in my left ear and took out wax that was way down in the ear it was dark brown, (Guess what the cough went away),  she said
the the wax was touching a nerve.   Well 3 years later it came back
so I have made another appointment to have the wax taken out again
Hope it will solve the problem again
Genie
I've been through the same thing.  I got sick about 10 yrs ago with some kind of chest cold.  I could not stop coughing.  It lasted about 2 months.  My throat would close and I would almost pass out.  Actually started to cough up a little blood.  I went to the family doctor about 8 times.  They put me on Codeine cough syrup and tried several antibiotics, nothing worked.  Next was Advair, no change.  They sent me to a respiratory specialist and checked me for athsma.  No Athsma or pneumonia.  They never found any problem.  Next I went to a ENT specialist and he found nothing except he said my tonscils were very large.  My tonscils always feel big in the back of my throat and I also hear a small clicking noise when I swallow.  It's always my right side and I get this dry tickling feeling which causes me to cough uncontrollably.  I get better and then it will come back usually once a year around September.  Never as bad as the first time, but it still scares me.  Sometimes when I feel fine and I eat something spicy my throat will immediatly close and I get the same problem but it goes away.  Sometimes I'll just get this dry feeling out of the blue and start coughing and my throat closes for a few seconds.  I've learned to control it so I don't almost pass out anymore.  I think the problem is my tonscils, they just feel too big and it's hard to swallow.  Do any of you get like white build up in the back of your throat that smells awful?  I think this might be all related, either that or it's whooping cough.  It could be damage caused by whooping cough.  God I wish a doctor would look at all our stories and figure out what it is.  If I ever get cured I post everywhere I can.  I really thought nobody else had this.
I'm so thankful to have found this forum. I've had this cough for about 9yrs. and needless to say, nobody knows what's going on. My cough is pretty much day and night, usually dry, but at times there's a bit of mucus or post nasal drip. It started after I had bronchitis, which I'm prone to, and the cough always would last several months after I was "cured." This time it didn't stop. It used to be that the tickle would sometimes be in my chest, but now it's always in my throat.
  Any tickle starts what my dr. calls a spasm; in other words once I start coughing, I keep coughing for a while until it decides to stop. I am constantly straining muscles from the intense coughing, I've coughed up blood twice. I finally had a CAT scan and it shows that my lungs are fine, except from some harmless scarring from prolonged coughing. Antibiotics have no effect on the cough. I've used Tussionex (codeine cough syrup) for years, but drs. don't like to prescribe it, so I use it when I can't stand it any more to make it last. The cough leaves me so exhausted, and my muscles painful, and it's almost impossible to sleep. It almost always starts the second I lie down as I have a post nasal drip.
  I've been to a bunch of drs., had a bunch of tests. I have an appt. with an Infectious Disease dr. just in case it is psittacosis (otherwise known as parrot fever) as my white blood count is slightly elevated and the test was normal by only one point. I did have parrots, but they were negative for it, but it's airborne, so I assume you could get it just being in a pet store. Two rounds of antibiotics brought my white blood count down a little, but did nothing for the cough. I do not have acid reflux, and the choking doesn't seem to be part of the cough, however, I definitely choke much more frequently than normal. The scariest was when I was drinking water and my vocal cords simply spasmed shut, and I had to try to just relax! Now I know how people can drown on a drop of water. When it finally went down, I had a coughing fit so bad, well, let's just say I hope to never experience that again! The allergist I saw did say something about my throat being very reactive from so much coughing, so I guess that's why the choking.
  I do find some relief from using a throat spray with some kind of anesthetic in it, followed by lozenges with anesthetic, like benzocaine. Make sure it contains the anesthetic.I even tried accupuncture from a dr. from China with an excellent reputation, but it didn't help and was very expensive. I've been using homeopathy for almost everything for over 30yrs. and it has never failed me; it even worked on my cats and my bird, but the cough remains stubborn. The only hopeful news I got is that now that my homeopathic dr. knows that it's in my larnynx and not my chest, he seems to feel he may have the right remedy. Here's hoping!
  My heart goes out to all of you. I understand the frustration, the embarrassment--having people look at you like you're carrying some disease, or having a bladder accident, not to mention coughing during a conversation. I'm told the cough is particularly piercing over the phone, so I've gotten in the habit of covering the mouthpiece and moving it away. I hope if any of us find a cure, they post! Thank you all for your post and letting me know that at least I'm not alone in this. Alli
All of you are describing symptoms that I have experienced for the last five or six years...sudden paroxysmal coughing and choking attacks, tears, red face, and runny nose.  If I have a strong menthol cough drop, that helps some.  If it's really bad, the only thing that helps is drinking very hot water (just short of boiling)  as fast as I can swallow it.  I'm not sure why it works, but maybe the heat interrupts the spasm by shock.  Just thought this remedy might of some help to all of you.  

I have had bronchitis for the last couple of months, so I've had more episodes of the cough attacks than usual and it seems that most anything can trigger it.

One surprising symptom I see recurring in prior posts is acid reflux.  I don't understand how that can be linked to the coughing attacks, but I do have severe episodes of acid reflux, mostly at night, so maybe it is a connection.  I'll do some more research (hurray for the internet!).
I can't believe I finally found people dealing with the same annoying and embarrassing cough.  It takes your breath away and leaves you gasping for air.  It seems to come out of nowhere.  It is worse when my HR is up.  And it leaves me feeling sick and I cannot speak.  This has been going on for the last couple of years really bad.  
Now I'm getting a thick phlegm come up.  I've been questioning a hiatal hernia and the middle of my chest hurts bad.  
My eye is verrry puffy in the morning and when I blow my nose I can actually feel air coming out on my eye now.  Very weird.  Anyhow....I can't believe I found this post. I was looking up issues with the eyes.
Just read all of your comments. I suffer exactly the same I guess I have had it for about 9 years normally it comes once a year and stays between 2 - 3 weeks. This time I think I am in my 4th week...great !!! Got up from the floor 20minutes ago with a carpet burn on my face after collapsing with the coughing (don't know if i'm passing out or just can't support myself when coughing)! The only thing I can say helps when trying to breath afterwards is burping. I take Piriton for my hayfever, i'm sure it's connected I think it helps - no cure but I believe without it I would be worse. I know it says one a day, but I take one in the morning and one at night. I've just finished prescribed Amoxicillin Capsules taken three times a day and still have some Montelukast tabs left to take probably another one a night for the next 4 weeks. Not a big change yet so we shall see how I am at the end of the course. Has anyone else tried these? After reading Genie927 comments I will try and get an appointment tomorrow to have my ears syringed to see if that helps, I do normally have heavy ear wax, so is this a common symtom we share?? If the ear wax syringing works, I will let you know.
This looks like the place where most people share my same symptoms. I never know when this tickle cough will appear, but when I'm not coughing I can feel air passing by the trigger spot which somtimes is towards the left and other times towards the right. I become  hoarse temporarily and have slight difficulty breathing. It feels like a vocal/airway spasm. Something else I've experienced is a wheezing noise when I'm sleeping on my side  and exhale deeply. My doctor said this noise was not in my lungs. If I exhale with my mouth open while trying to sleep, I can hear these multiple little wheezing noises which seem to come from my vocal chords. I am a 10 year Nexium user and for cost savings just switched to Omesperole, which isn't as effective. I do believe that reflux is definately a factor as is long periods of alcholol consumption.
I read in one of the posts about LPR and decided to look it up.  This is exactly what I have and will see an ENT about it, I have all those symptoms.  The link to reading the article is
heartburn.about.com/od/gastrictractdisorders/a/whatis_LPR.htm - 26k -

I don't have much indigestion or heartburn, but you don't have to, this article explains it perfectly and suggests what to do, who to see and what they will do to diagnose you.  Hope this helps even just one person as the person who mentioned LPR helped me to go look in to it,  
I am tearful as I am typing because I felt so alone with these symptoms and my last episode was last night. I could hardly sleep. Everytime I started to fall asleep again, this tickle/itch will start up and I'll have to hold my breathe or breath slowly and drink lots of water to calm me down! So frustrating! I'm glad I'm not alone but I hope there is a cure soon!
I posted about a year ago, I am still having the same problems only worse now, about every 26 days the cough becomes so bad that I black out. My husband says I look like I"m having seizures but have been to a neurologist and no signs of seizures found. I have been to the heart doctor (everything normal there), Pulmonologist (maybe asthma maybe GERD), Family doctor (COPD) taking benzo(sp) numbing for throat (not working) Taking Advair (still coughing). Last episode last week, ended up in emergency room, deep gash on elbow and broken finger where I black out and fell against stove in kitchen while trying to fix supper. Also had blood tests for birds and anyother *rare* problems everything came back *normal*  

Mine also starts in the throat just as a tickle, sometimes I can cough and it just ends in a cough other times I cough I have the black outs and the incontinence...I pray for each and everyone of you that are experienceing this same problem. I have had this going on 5 years now and it is not getting any better. My prayers and support to all

Thanks for letting me know you are all out there!
I couldn't believe it when I read your post about laying on your side...when I lay on my left side, I get this wheezing disturbing sound that is coming from my throad (I am a severe asthmatic and know it isn't coming from my lungs).  I started having laryngeal spasms recently and it's been quite scary.  Have had about 4 episodes in the past month.  I am currently waiting for surgery for a lesion on my vocal cord.
I've just spent the last half hour reading this site and I'm so glad I'm not alone.  I've always had a bad cough even when I was a child but these last few years (I'm 53) the cough is litterally killing me. It disrupts my entire life.  I can't answer the phone at work with getting an attack.  Always the same thing......a constant tickle in the throat especially on the right side where it feels like little prickly things scratching at my throat.  Hard to catch my breadth, muscles tense to the point where I fell like I'll break a rib.  Can't sleep for more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time and that's sleeping sitting up.  Forget about lying down.  I've been to the ENT and pulmonary specialist.  Same as others.....diagnosed with acid reflux and have been taking Prevacid for a few years now. They tell me to take Nasonex and Zyrtec D but neither helps.  I have the strong cough medicine with codiene but that doesn't work anymore. The cough has become more severe and more frequent (about every other month) this past year.  Strange though, the cough returns whenever I return from a vacation at the beach or on a cruise.  Maybe I should just live at the beach huh??  One small thing that HAS helped me is to chew a piece of gum.  The chicklets kind with the white shell not the stick kind.  I try to get to the sink and splash cold water on my face when it's happening also.  Working in a office is horrific when I have this cough and I hate it when everyone looks at me.  I don't even want my husband or kids looking at me when I'm having a coughing fit.  Very embarassing.  With all this modern medicine there's got to be something they can do.  
Can't believe all of us are having the same problems w/no help yet!!!!!
I have had this cough for 7 mo.and with no help, have tried every herb in the book and everything on the shelf.
I too, answer the phone at work and my voice will go out. Whenever I eat I start coughing especially sweets!!! I feel like my life is gone!!
I have an appt. w/ ENT in 2 days, hope it helps!
Hi guys I said I would report back if it helped with ear syringing - it didn't. But I am now offically a ex-cougher - i've been sorted out !!!!!!! I hope this will help most of you too. You can not imagine how it feels. I went to a specialist on chest and throat in Southend -On-Sea Essex, England. He works at the private Medical Spire hospital. http://www.spirehealthcare.com/Wellesley/ his name is Mr Davison and he spends time on you and seems to know what you are talking about. He shows you diagrams of your lungs and how they work and typical damages to them. I was lucky as I had an attck when I was with him. He put me on breath tests morning and night and sent me for a lung scan. Results come back have no damage to my lungs. With the breathing tests, I went back to him four weeks later and showed him the record I have been taking and he looked at it and instantly said I had asthma??? I said I didn't think I had as I do not get this right the way through the year. He stated Asthma can come and go like hayfever and in some cases can cause this tickle in the neck before a violent coughing attack and also cause flem to come up from the lungs. I have been on the inhalers he prescribed to me and haven't coughed since !!!!!!  He has kept me on the breathing tests in order to check his dianosis etc. I have noticed from the records that my breathing has changed for the better. I do occasionally get the tickle in the throat (if you can call it that) but then I quickly go for the inhaler and it stops it. The tickle comes with getting excited when talking etc or laughter. But I think this is it - time will tell over the next year or so! I really hope this might be the same with most of you !!!!! All the best.
I went to the ENT today, I too am being treated for Acid Reflux and start taking 2 Prilosec a day. He also prescribed a mucus thinner to take 4 times aday.  It worked immediately when I took 1 pill, I did not have to cough through my meal.  He said to eat 6 small meals aday instead of 3 big meals (which I never ate).  The medicine is called
Organ-1 NR 200mg.  Hoping this will help me and everybody else!!!
I have very recently experienced this violent cough. I feel like I have inhaled something like a powder or contaminant and my lungs nearly convulse during the coughing spell. I can't catch my breath and have passed out from it. I have had ct scans, xrays, blood cutlures, swabs for flu, no idea what triggers this. Steriods, narcotic cough syrup, and nebulizer treatments keep it partially under controll, but 4 hours after I take meds I am in danger of another attack.  
Update:  After 10 days with no sleep I went to my ENT.  I had to see another doctor in the office since mine was on vacation.  This time I actually made a list of ALL my symptoms, experiences, etc. (with the help of this board) and handed it to the nurse. When the doctor arrived we went over the list and the first thing he did was check my ears and said I had a small wax buildup in one.  Well, as soon as he stuck the (extra long) Q-tip in my ear I immediately had a fit of coughing and he asked “is that from me?”  And so it started.  What a nightmare!  It was also really hot in the exam room which didn’t help. I had such a fit of coughing that I had tears rolling down my checks as he proceeded to place the tube down my throat.  Normally I don’t have a problem with this but whatever he was doing it aggravated the heck out of my throat.  I could feel that tiny little tube rubbing on both sides of my throat. I was gagging and coughing hysterically all at the same time. Of course he took exceptionally long and at one point I kept putting my hand up for him to stop for a minute but he said he was almost finished.  He said my tonsils were very large.  His diagnosis:  He thinks it’s viral on top of allergies.  Last time I was allergy tested was in 2005.  Last chest x-ray was in July 2008.  He prescribed a steroid pack (methylprednisolone), Benzonatate (cough), Fexosenadine (prescription strength Allegra D), Veramyst (nasal spray) and also over the counter Mucinex DM. Still coughing on the 5th day on meds so I decided to get the Mucinex on Sunday because I really didn’t want to take anything else.  I’m already on BP, thyroid, cholesterol, anxiety, reflux and osteoporosis meds.  Mussinex definitely works and the spells come less and less.  HOWEVER, I still have them.  Still can’t sleep thru the night. I’m at my “wits end”.  It’s so embarrassing to have a spell in public.  I swear something’s wrong. There is DEFINITELY something on the right side of my throat because I can almost feel it.  Nobody has ever mentioned my tonsils since I was child (or how large they are) until now and no one has mentioned anything on this blog.  Does anyone have any input?  Could it be that my tonsils or the non-cancerous flap nodules cause this chronic cough?  I almost wish it was so they could take them out and I’d be symptom free.  Anyway, I have a follow-up visit with my regular ENT tomorrow night.  Maybe I’ll find out something that will help everyone else.  Thanks for listening!
Wow I can't believe so many people are having problems with this.  I have had chronic sinus problems  and colds/flu, etc  ALL my life.  I smoked and drank for years, but no long do either one.  I figured after quiting this habits my symptoms go away or improve, but they actually got worse.  I have had cold/flu symptoms for about 7 years now, I've take every antibiotic known to man, every anti-histamine made, I even had surgery on my sinus for deviated septum and I still can't get rid of this ****.  I driving me crazy, I can't do much of anything without symptoms getting in the way.  About a month ago I thought I had it licked and the symptoms started all over again. I have vomited 3 times in the last 2 weeks after eating, or I eat and then clear my throat for 5 to 20 minutes afterwards.  I few times I have woke up in the middle of the night coughing violently and when it was all over I could not get back to sleep.   Overall I constantly feel worn out, I can't seem to get enough rest and my energy levels are very low or inconstant at best.  

I have GERDS, Asthma, and recently diagnosed with an Under active Thyroid.  I also had exposure to TB, discovered about years ago, which has been treated and is NOT active.  I may have Sleep Apnea as well.

I see my doctor on Friday. I think we need to get some media exposure on this.
I don't like being in public for fear that an attack mite happen, it's embarrassing and down right disgusting, which is why I stay home most of the time and only go out when I have to.  Needless to say, I don't have much of a social life any more because of this condition.  All I know is I haved enough and something needs to be done.
For the past 6 or 7 months i have had the same thing something in my throat ,choking ,coughing,can,t breath get so scard,i can,t move,i am 66 years old, i have copd,i think it is the ADVAIR ENHALER,i have been using it for about 2 years it started about 7 months ago. I go back to the doc on the 24th .the doc.s just don,t want to listen to you.I am going to stop useing the enhaler and hope i make it to the 24th.    thank you for listening  to me                                                  mrose                                                                
Well, I had my ENT follow-up visit.  He assured me that nothing is wrong with my throat (no cancer, nodules, etc.etc.). CT is normal, chest X-ray normal.   Tonsils are very large (have been since I was a child but THEY ARE NOT causing my cough.  Says my Acid Reflux (GERD) is not under control with my current meds (Prevacid 20 mg) so he prescribed additional meds (Zegerid 40 mg). He explained to me how the acid backs up in the esophagus into the throat and causes the cough.  Especially while lying down.  I was tested for this back in 2005 (Barium Esophagram) and diagnosed.  Go figure......I don't have any symptons of heartburn at all.  What I can't undertand is why the cough acts up every few months even when I'm on the meds. You would think the cough would be all year long.  I still think there's something else contributing to it.  He also wants me to undergo additional allergy and pulmony testing just in case.  My cough has subsided tremendously since Tuesday and I've had no "hysteric spells" since I started the new Zegerid.  Don't know whether its coinsidence or not.  

To mrose42.....hang in there.  I too was given a very low, low Advair inhaler last year but when I tried it it was like nothing so I never used it again.  If you can read up on GERD (Acid Relfux).  I think there may be an over the counter product you can buy (purple pill or something).  It can't hurt to try it in the meantime.  Please try and take it easy.......we're all here to help one another.  
I found this website last night and can't believe how everybody here is describing the symptoms I have had for the past 15 years.  I have been to the cardiologist, ENT, allergist. Had chest x-rays, PET scan, been falsely diagnosed with GERD or diagnosed with nothing at all.  Doctors think I am crazy and have no idea how violent my cough is.  I think we all need to draw attention to this illness so we can name it and cure it.  

My symptoms
Sudden tickle in throat followed by
what feels like a closing of my airway
unable to speak
coughing
runny nose
tears streaming down my face.
After a few minutes it subsides but leaves me very, hot shaky, and exhausted.

My triggers are spicy food, post nasal drip or nothing at all.

I am a very healthy active 45 year old woman but this takes everything out of me.  I worry that when I get old I will be too fragile to handle the coughing spell.  It is so very frightening.

It is also very embarrassing when it happens in public.  I have had strangers ask if they should call 911.  

My coping mechanism is to try to drink a lot of water as soon as I feel the tickle.  Sometimes this makes it go away.  I also have to relax my throat and slow down my breathing.  I never go anywhere without a water bottle or Kleenex.

We need to advocate for ourselves so this can be named and cured.  I am going to cut and paste several of these posts and send them to my ENT.  I am also going to send them to the Oprah show. Maybe if several of us send something to the Oprah show she will take notice.  We need to shine a light on this so somebody out there will hear us and help us.
Here I am again!  I was really hoping that the mucus pill would help from the ENT, it didn't!!!!  I agree, something has to be done!!!  I can't eat, speak or sleep w/o coughing!!!
I have lost 26 lbs. during all this, can't take anymore!!
I also, sweat at night!  I have just started seeing an herbalist, my last straw. Has anyone gone to Mayo Clinic?  Also, is anyone wheezing with coughing?  I have been for a week.
To those of you with larygeal spasms, I have the answer. BOTOX! After a 3 week bout with bronchitis, I suddenly started having the spasms. Mostly I'd wake up at night with them, but also during the day after I'd cough. My vocal cords would close and I couldn't get air in. It was so scary. Sometimes when I finally would breathe, I'd have a horrible coughing fit. My ENT and Urgent Care docs said it was laryngeal spasms but had no idea what to do for it. After not sleeping for four nights, I called UCLA Med Center and got a same day appointment (very lucky as it usually takes weeks) with a Throat Specialist there. They scoped down my nose and into my throat with a camera. the gagging caused me to cough and set off a spasm. Again horrible. I couldn't breathe. When it passed he showed me the video of what it was doing. He said what was happening at night was post nasal drip would set off coughing and then my brain gave my vocal cords the wrong message to close. The answer was to relax the muscles in there. He gave me THREE BOTOX INJECTIONS through the outside of my throat into my vocal cords. He said it would take 2 days to a week to take effect. However, it worked right away. Last night I actually slept. I woke up a couple of times with mini episodes but my throat never closed all the way up. He said the injections would last three months and I would need another set. After that, usually the spasms will end once the underlying problem (the bronchitis and cold) goes away. Some people however, need them forever. Side effects can include diminished voice and trouble swallowing. Haven't had either so far. But we'll see. Hope this helps those of you suffering from this particular problem. I sympathize.
Thia is happening to my 11 year old daughter.  We were on vacation in France and she came down with bronchitis.  I took her to the doctor and he gave her the standard program of a z-pac, and inhaled steroid inhalers (she was wheezing) and a rescue inhaler.  She has had reflux since birth so he gave her Nexium.  The bronchitis cleared up pretty quickly,  but out of the blue she started having these laryngospasms...or vocal cord dysfunction.  I knew that is what it was because I had had a cough for 4 months once and that is what I had had.  I started her doing these voice exercises and somehow we survived the 8 hour flight home without a huge attack.  Then once home they got even worse.  I had stopped all the inhalers because I thought they aggravated and even caused the dysfunction.  She had an enourmous attack one night and we called 911 and went to the ER.  They said nothing.  I have had at the ped and they said I hope you figure this out....I took her to Children's Hosp. In Philly and the ENt only said her vocal cords look fine...see a gastro.  No apt for the gastro 'til Oct.   I now notice there is another component to this thing which is major amounts of stomach gas.  She often says she is going to throw up while it is happening and burps and burps.  I have her do a couple of breathing exercises I read about that work and do th is pressure point thing I read about and that seems to nip it in the but after about 10 seconds.  I also have her hang from the top of the door to relieve the gas and that helps too...I have taken her to acupuncture and homeopathy so far...I thought the homeopathy was helping as we didnt have a spell for 36 hours and then last night she awoke choking.  I have her bed elevated and keep her propped up.  I do not sleep watching her.  This is truly a nightmare.  I do not know how I can send her to school like this...Oh, the other thing that I think might have contributed to this is the fact that she had to immunizations for the trip as we were supposed to go to Africa.  She never gets sick and especially not in the summer and two days later she started with the vague cough wich turned into the bronchitis....I am at wits end.  It is so hard to see her loose her ability to just go run and play and swim.  I don't want her in the pool as i am afraid she will choke.  We already had to cancel our trip to Maine as it is pretty remote where we were going and no 911.
The key to understanding the cough that most of you are having is humidity that leads to mold growth.  All types of micro-organisms love humidity and a warm temperature.  If you are living in a humid state, then you need to leave your dehumidifier and your A/C on 24/7 during summertime in your home, and forget about the noise that it makes and your electricity bills.  The second problem is the chemtrails that are being sprayed into the atmosphere.  They gradually drip into the ground level to give you the "cough."  I think that this is mostly intended to boost the profit of hospitals and pharmacy companies.  I have been a victim of this "Cough" since I came to America in 1993, and it has been gradually getting worse.  I'm fearing the same thing that you are fearing.  I don't like suffocating to death from a respiratory infection in a few years!!  If you can stop the chemtrails from being sprayed into the atmosphere, then that will solve half of the problem.
Vaccination is another problem that I should have known about a long time ago.  Don't EVER let anybody give you ANY vaccination for ANY reason.  Most of them are experimental and can cause chronic long term illnesses.  I have been studying Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the gulf war syndrome, and the symptoms are so similar to what I have.  If we reach a point when public vaccinations become mandatory, you should resist it even if it means getting expelled from school.
It's really nice to know I'm not alone on this coughing issue. I can't take it anymore. It's been about 2 months since it's started. If I breathe in it's not so bad, but when I start to breathe out, there is a bit of pain, like soreness, then the coughing starts. I cough like I'm going to throw up. It seems to have destroyed my bladder muscles. Other times, the cough just comes out of nowhere without the soreness, just like something tickled my throat and I go into this coughing convolsion, tears running down my face, and I'm crossing my legs so my bladder doesn't give out on me. Aside of having these same symptoms everyone else here is having, does anybody else get that slight sore pain before they breathe out which also triggers the coughing?

I have had a couple of requests asking what I take to beat 'The cough'  this is a  cut and paste of a mail I recently sent another sufferer on here.....

I live in Great Britain I guess it is the same system - medication has to be prescribed. I have to take an inhaler (Seretide) two puffs in the morning and two in the evening then a back up inhaler (ventolin) when/if I feel the tickle coming on.Steroids - not to sure. I'm not saying it will work for you, but you have to try everything I did and it worked. Hope this helps.  
The same thing happened to me today 7 times. every time I coughed I couldn't breathe. I thought I would die.  I went to a pulmonologist and he said it was voice box spasms and gave me prednisone for a few days and said when it happens go into a steamy room, like the shower.  I've been trying not to cough, but I'm so scared.  Did anyone get this advice? I have to see the doctor next week.   I'm scared I won't make it to next week.  
Hi Everyone,

So glad I found this site.  I've had it for at least 9 years every few months it gets triggered either during a deep sleep or during the day at work.  I havent seen any drs about it coz I thought they'd probably diagnose me wrongly or say I'm crazy.  

When I get an attack its:
a dry throat feeling on the right of the throat,
my airways close up,
I violently cough which can last up to 10 mins,
my eyes are watering,
nose runs and cant talk.

If my husband is around when I'm having an attack I signal him or he now knows to run over and hit me continuosly on my back up around my shoulder blades...the hitting seems to calm me down and I start to breathe again...it kind of shortens my attacks but the serverity.  Once I can breathe again I drink water.  
If my husband is around when I'm having an attack I signal him or he now knows to run over and hit me continuosly on my back up around my shoulder blades...the hitting seems to calm me down and I start to breathe again...it kind of shortens my attacks but NOT the serverity.  Once I can breathe again I drink water.  

MISSED A WORD OUT.....NOT..
This is a follow-up to my 8/31 post.  After my ENT appointment (and swearing to him that something was on the right side of my throat which always starts the tickle and then the horrendous cough) he assured me that nothing was on my throat, no cancer, etc.  He did say (without a doubt) that my reflux was not under control so he prescribed Zegerid which I take around dinner time.  I still take Prevacid first thing in the morning.  Within a day or two of starting the Zegerid I STOPPED COUGHING.  No, spells, no choking, etc. etc. He still wants me to have additional allery testing next week 9/10 along with some pulmonary testing (90 mins?).  So I'm a little afraid of those tests.  But if my SEVERE HORRENDOUS COUGH was caused by acid refux.  So be it.  Let them get it under control.  So for all those still suffering please......get the reflux issue checked out.  It's worth a try.  Any questions please let me know.  I know what you're going thru.
I've been suffering for 3 years with this and have some real ideas, which have worked for me.  One of the keys is to keep track of local pollen and mold counts (inidoors and outdoors, and to keep indoor humidity below 40%). My coughing will start once the blooming, mold and humidity rise.

For me it feels like my throat is closing as well.

I went to 3 allergists, 2 ENTs and 1 pulmonologist. I went through speech and voice therapy for paradoxical vocal fold motion.  I really did need to relax, and the stress of coughing accumulates in the upper neck and back.

The pulmon. was most helpful saying nothing should irritate the esophogus due to hyperreactive airways (upper) ... Tussionex, "nuclear doses of medrol/prednisone", reflux meds, prilosec, anitibiotics if cold, and dry the upper respiratory up so no mucus drips. She also said coughing begets more coughing and once the cycle is set up hard to change.  Dr. Karen Lahive - Faulkner Hospital, Boston, MA My alt. med doc, said MOLD toxicity and allergy. Also tested me for mycoplasma pneum. I tested positive. They are now (at year 2) doing the DNA PCR for mycoplasm... plus lyme (positive bands), etc...
Look up Biofilm as well.  
Book reference: mold warriors by Dr. Schumaker.  www.biotoxins.info. and referrals to docs in your area if you want to follow up.

Now, an allegist debunked the mold theory saying we evolved from caves and moldy places, but he missed the point.  Black mold exposure etc.. can have long term ramifications, and must be actively detoxed from body (exercise, sauna, and cholestramine).  

I noticed undetectable post nasal drip in my throat that caused the coughing as well, and used the NELIMED sinus rinser dutifully 2x daily. (Dr. Alex Binginham, Visions Medical)   Another ENT said Mucinex 1200mg daily, along with everything else.  The Mucinex, (Dr. Nicholas Busaba Mass Eye and Ear) and the Nelimed, is great together. I used  some herbal knowledge and experimented with various concoctions of solutions in the Nelimed sinus rinse bottle, including:  1 drop of collodial silver and 1 drop of either hydrogen peroxide or grapefruit seed extract in the nasal rinse (as not sure I needed to treat fungus in the nos e(candida), bacterial infection (collodial silver), etc...  This was very effective. Totally resolved the issue!   It also made me realize how much mucus was really up there...

HISTAMINE DROPS worked wonders as well (see an serial endpoint titration specialist) , in stopping attacks cold.
First generation antihistamines (benadryl and chlorphentamine) are the only ones that have an effect on me (which is in the Tussionex, which is sometimes the only way I can sleep when the coughing is really intense.)

Smaller meals, digestive enzymes, apple cider vinegar, liver cleansing herbs, and DGL.  Also helped.  

Here's my theory.  Its acutally 3-4 separate things, creating hell on earth.

1. allergies, mold, pollen, dampness, ACs and fans,  etc... (follow anti candida diet, and gluten free - grains have high levels of mycotoxins). CAUSE post nasal drip and throat itching
2.  MASSIVE coughing spells, create a form of reflux,(not discussed much but common with singers and athletes)...  negative pressure in esophagus, literally ***** up the stomach acid to our esophagus creating more irritation and continued/more severe coughing.

3.  Ongoing dripping and allergens creates mino or majorr upper respiratory issue, resulting in need for 1200mg mucinex, nelimed nasal rinse, antibiotics, and tussionex.  

Once this pattern of causation is understood, the realization of allergy + digestion + nose becomes clearer.

I hope this helps... its the result of 4 years of suffering and spending tons of money on meds and mds!

Like others,
Couple of questions!!  Where do you get the Nelined sinus solution?  Also, do you combine the collodial silver & hydrogen peroxide w/ the sinus solution?
Ready to try anything!!!!!
I've recently been hit with the laryngeal spasms and loss of voice, and like mrose42, I am almost certain it has been caused by ADVAIR!  

I was put on Advair to help control my asthma symptoms, and while the asthma itself seems under control, the coughing/choking has gotten worse and worse.  The doctor told me it was just cough-variant asthma and to keep taking the Advair,  I finally had a "lightbulb moment" a few days ago and realized it might be the Advair causing the problem. I looked over the small print in the informational leaflet in the box, and the symptoms I'm experiencing were described to a T in the "adverse reaction" section.  It includes laryngeal spasms, coughing, choking, and hoarseness.  

I stopped using the Advair a few days ago, and while I'm noticing a slight decrease in episodes, I'm still having them and my voice is all but gone.  I'd been on the Advair for over 6 weeks at this point, and experiencing the loss of voice and laryngeal spasms for probably a month now.  

Interestingly, I also have GERD, which seems to be a common factor in this problem as well.  But, I have been on medication for my GERD for years, and it is well controlled right now.  My problems didn't start until I was taking the Advair.  
Nowadays Coffee and sugar intensify my cough a lot, and this is because they increase the insulin and glucose level in the blood a lot, and a high amount of both of these in the blood is associated with mocus.  My question is why now?  This association didn't exist a decade ago in my life.  Back then, I could drink Coffee and eat lots of sugar with no cough.  Why do I experience this so profoundly now and not then? What about other healthy people who drink plenty of Coffee and sugar with no cough?
I'm sharing the information below to help those people who need it.  In a world that is filled with scam artists who keep pointing you to ENTs or doctors who take your money and do nothing, BrightMind and I are two of the few people who are genuinely trying to help other people for free.  The information below is generic information for overall health (my wisdom) that also positively affects mocus in your lung.  This is powerful information that does much more for you than having medical insurance if you follow it faithfully over time.  You only need medical insurance if you are older than 50.  Hint: The medical industry is a scam.  I'm sharing this with you for free without asking for anything in return.  Just remember that there are people out there who are really interested in helping you.  Return the favor by helping other people!!

1. Follow the word of Wisdom of Mormons (I'm not Mormon).  Avoid anything that has Caffeine and sugar as much as possible.  Caffeine and sugar increase blood insulin, and insulin is associated with mocus.  They also upset the stomach and increase Acid reflux symptoms.  Don't put something that is not good for you into your body.  If you can't deal with the fatigue, then take Bovine Colostrum supplements in the morning.  Multi-vitamins also help with the subsequent fatigue by increasing metabolism.

2. Make sure that you get tested for allergies and adjust your lifestyle to minimize your allergies.  Try to avoid antihistamines and immuno-theraphy (even if your doctor recommends them) because they are both expensive and harm your body.  Antihistamines ruin your hormonal balance which can cause other health problems (insomnia, forgetfulness, fatigue).  Avoiding allergy by changing environmental factors works, provided that you know how to do it.

3.  If you live in a humid environment, then get rid of humidity in your environment by using your A/C and a dehumidifier 24/7 during summer.  A dehumidifier is a gift from heaven for women because they can get rid of humidity without having to put up with really cold air temperature.  Using these two together helps ensure that you don't need to use your A/C too much which could in turn signal your body to secret more mocus.  This way, you can leave your A/C around 70 F while getting your humidity below 40 degrees.

4.  If you live in a humid environment, you need to inspect your place of residence for mold.  You will need to do a great deal of cleaning plus taking option 3 whether you have a mold problem or not.  Mold grows quickly in humid environments unless you follow advice 3 above persistently.  Dust Mites also love humidity.  Cleaning your shower is also important.

5. Try to stick to a vegetarian diet (not vegan).  Learn from Buddha.  It is OK to eat seafood products and eggs every once in a while.  Nuts, sunflower seeds, and many other vegetarian products have proteins in them, so don't let people persuade you into thinking that without meat you won't have enough proteins.  This is not true!

6. Avoid dairy products except yogurt.  Milk, Cheese, and many other dairy products thicken mocus.  If you are not getting enough calcium, then eat more eggs instead.

7. Stop eating before you are full, and learn to do a mild form of fasting as well every few weeks, but drink plenty of fluid.  This is good general eating habit and also helps a lot with Acid reflux.

8. Avoid taking pills as much as possible, even if your doctor tells you to take them.  I hate to say this, but the medical industry is a scam.  The trauma center and their emergency care is probably the only thing that is real.  Other than that, you should use your common sense when you are dealing with doctors because most of them don't share the same values that BrightMind and I share and also happen to be incompetent due to medical school indoctrination.

9. Do plenty of both Cardiovascular and Resistance training exercise.  Aside from the general health benefits that they have, they also help your body regulate insulin better.  Use your common sense to know how much you need.

10. Floss your teeth immediately after eating.

11.  Take Vitamin C and Zinc several times a week after you eat to make your immune system stronger and help with lung infection that could result as well as reduce mocus.  If you still have mocus problems, then follow the middle eastern remedy (Licorice root) to reduce your symptoms.

12. Don't trust tap water and don't waste your money on bottled water.  Buy a powerful water filteration system and use it.  Increase your water intake by taking a bottle of water to Sona with you.  Contaminated water is the root of all kinds of infectious diseases.

13.  Get tanned.  Too little tanning is just as bad as too much of it.  The hormonal changes that tanning causes in your body helps you both lose weight and also reduces inflammation and mocus.  A lot of tanning can really help you with obesity, but I don't recommend this because of the skin cancer risks.

14. During the hot season use a hepa air filter indoors because the level of dust in the air is directly proportional to the temperature.  Use your A/C to the point that it doesn't make you uncomfortable.

15. Give your body as much rest as it needs.  If you feel tired, take a nap or go to bed.  Don't try to keep yourself energized with stimulants when you are tired unless you really have to.

16. Stay away from pills, especially antihistamines.  Only take pills for emergency.  There are products like Bovine Colostrum and Licorice Root that you can buy from health food stores like GNC instead that are really helpful, but even health food store products shouldn't be taken on a day to day basis.

17. Avoid handshaking with people, use hand sanitizers, and use gloves in the gym.  Avoid direct contact with people, and don't violate their personal space.

18.  Avoid vaccination at all costs because most vaccines are experimental.  The results of Harvard Medical School Black ops can easily be passed on with vaccination.  There is a unique vaccine for everybody :-)  Hint: If AIDS is caused by the HIV virus, then why does labcorp test for the presence of antibodies and a high level of white cells in your blood instead of specifically looking for the HIV Virus in your blood or something that is directly synthesized by it?  Any infectious disease would cause antibodies and a high white blood cell count.  Most diseases are man made, so avoid vaccination like the plaque.

I have these tickles in my throat also. I tend to wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I can't breathe. The worst part is that sometimes I sort of get a "locked in" feeling where I'm awake but can't move. Eventually I get out of it and calm myself down and the choking stops. I've read somewhere that alcohol makes it worse, and this is definitely the case with me. Even if I've gone out and had 2 drinks or less, I'm more likely to have an episode that night. Just thought I'd share this in case it helps anyone!
I am 51 and I am currently suffering from this debilitating incessant cough however mine has been triggered by a throat infection and follows a pattern.
As a child I suffered from a violent coughing fit after exercising, and also after going to bed - to the point of vomiting at times. Post nasal drip was mentioned by Drs.- pillows used to elevate my head - phenergan - no real remedies but eventually grew out of it. I now wonder if it was asthma or an allergy.
About 10 years ago however I suffered a prolonged bout of bronchitus and a particularly sore throat after which I experienced my first attack of incessant violent coughing - like everyone else is describing - choking, shaking, tears streaming, total lack of control. My doctor suspected whooping cough, gave me erythrymycin and a pathology request should I not respond to the meds. The meds worked however my throat has never been the same since. It has become ridiculously supersensitive and susceptible to coughing fits over relatively small triggers.
Having suffered from pharyngitus this week I have now reached the itchy healing stage and just want to die! Coughing all night to the point of exhaustion.

No surprises - happens every time - my throat just convulses. My doctor feels there is a problem with the gag reflex. It has nothing to do with acid. It is now 1am and I am waiting for painkillers to kick in  so I can attempt sleep again. They are my last resort to try and stop the extreme tickle. I dream of spraying anaesthetic onto the back of my throat - if such a thing existed I feel it would cure the fits.
Does anyone know if such a thing exists? And no - anaesthetic losenges are a total waste of time! I need something to completely NUMB the throat shock and awe style!
I've been on ZEGERID for two months and and HAVEN"T COUGHED at all!  Finally, something that worked.    
Twenty years I've endured this cough.  I am currently on three different meds prescribed by my gastroenterologist for GERD (but still coughing).  I use two nasal sprays and two diffferent meds as prescribed by my allergist (but still coughing) and I use an asthma inhaler as prescribed by my ENT( but still coughing).
My ENT referred me to a doctor in manhattan who, just this week diagnosed me with paradoxical vocal fold disorder.  I will be seeing another specialist soon to begin therapy to correct this disorder.  We have high hopes that this will work.  Will keep you posted.  
In the meantime, try this when the tickle starts: inhale deeply through the nose and breathe out slowly through puckered lips (as when whistling) it stops the cough on its tracks.
I received a diagnosis this year unlike any that I've read about on this blog, so I thought I would pass it on in case it helps anyone out there.  Please pay close attention to this post if you happened to grow up anywhere near the Mississippi River.  I am 50 years old and have suffered from the same violent coughing spasms everyone else has described.  It starts as a "pin-*****" tickle on the right side of the throat and generates into violent coughing fits leading up to, and including, passing out and falling to the ground.  After going through an entire list of doctors, including ENT's and pulmonologists, in several different cities and one abroad, I realized they were all clueless as to what the exact cause of this condition was.  Unfortunately for me, this was over a 4 1/2 year period, and my suffering continued.  I finally decided to go to the Mayo Clinic.  There, I was put in touch with a wonderful doctor, Udaya Prakash, who asked me if I grew up near the Mississippi River.  I told him that I indeed had, although I was no longer living there now.  Following a CT scan, the doctor diagnosed me with "mediastinal granulomas caused by histoplasmosis".  What this means in plain English is that I picked up a fungus that is quite common in the Mississippi River Valley (spread by birds) when I was young and it migrated to my lungs.  Of course, I didn't know it at the time, but my lung immume system immediately went about fighting this fungal invader.  The fungus lodged in the lymph nodes in my lungs and the nodes began to calcify as my immune system began to build a cocoon of calcium around each node to block the fungus from the rest of my lungs.  The doctor showed me the CT scan and my lungs looked like Christmas trees, with the calcified lymph nodes looking like lighted ornaments throughout my lungs.  When I looked at these pictures, I was surprised I could breathe at all!  Anyway, the doctor noted that some of the calcified lymph nodes were pressing on my windpipe, causing me to feel a constant "tickle" in my throat, with the resulting urge to cough.  I've also been experiencing shortness of breath.  So, after 4 1/2 years of going from doctor to doctor, I finally know why I am coughing.  To treat this condition, the doctor placed me on a regimen of Tamoxifen, which is actually a women's anti-breast cancer drug, but there has been encouraging evidence that it can be used to shrink these calcified lymph nodes as well.  I am about three months into the treatment, and am set to go back to the Mayo Clinic next month for another CT scan to see if it is working.  Thus far, I am still coughing, but the doctor did tell me that it would take a while for the treatment to work.  At least now I know what the cause is.  Best wishes to all of you out there as we deal with this most horrible affliction.
I had the exact same cough attacks - just like those described - for at least 7-8 years, starting in my mid 40s; one of my office coworkers wanted me tested for tuberculosis. Chest x-rays showed nothing. Now here's what I think happened: First came the cough, for whatever reason; that caused so much irritation to my esophagus and vagus nerve and diaphragm and trachea that I then was diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia; treatment didn't stop the cough, so then I was found to have a laryngeal nodule - a "singer's nodule" from irritation to the vocal cords - that was removed; didn't stop the cough, so the irritation kept happening and eventually I became very susceptible to respiratory colds and bronchitis, then finally pneumonia 3 times in 2 years, and during this time I developed a chronic asthma type reactive airway disease.  Still my lungs looked "good"!  Slowly, very slowly, they lost that look and I've had emphysema for several years now - it is now severe and I'm on oxygen 24/7.  My point is this is progressive and there's no reason it has to be - there needs to be some way to stop it before it just irritates everything to the point of damage.  Here's something interesting: there is a cough reflex center located just inside your ear - or ears - yes, truly. I noticed it because if I used a Q-tip to clean my right ear, I'd cough instantly the same cough; my doctor told me about the reflex center - and told me to quit using Q-tips in my ears.

I'm on every inhaler known to man, but still get the harsh, wracking cough that closes me up; one thing I've found that does help is to splash cold water over my face, my eyes, behnd my ears and in a line straight down my breastbone. That seems to distract my brain from continuing the cough - or it shuts up the vagus nerve irritation - or something. I hope some of you will try it and let us know if it helps you. And do NOT accept a bunch of BS from your doctors - keep after them, because the longer it goes on the more it brings on other problems.  
Hi everyone! 18 here and probably the youngest but this definately sounds like something ive been experiencing too! first time was in grade 9 during class, i just uncontrollabling began coughing and of course i had to put my hand up and ASK the teacher to leave which i couldnt do and was fairly embarassing.. But i ran to the washroom and continued coughing eventually my stomach and face hurt, aswell as tears streaming down my face. I cant pick out too many more incidences individually but it happens every 2-4 months. for me ive noticed its always happened at the most inconvienant times like when i was working at subway and was in middle of making a sandwhich. another embarassing moment. the onset of this is definately a tickle or something in the back of my throat, i can feel it coming on about a minute before and i always try to rush somewhere private. it doesnt last for very long but it feels absolutely terrible. i was even gagging a few times i was coughing so hard! when that happens its usually accompanied by blood which im assuming is just ruptured tissue from the back of my throat as its not very much and only happens at the worst of times. Personally, i think its funny that you are all going to such great extents to cure this, i cant possibly see what kind of disease or other underlying problems that would trigger this. Im thinking its just an accidental nose hair that gets sucked back or other debris and we all just have sensitive throats. i know when i get sick the very first thing that happens to me is an intensely sore throat nearly no matter what the sickness is.
- Jess
Hi everyone, this coughing has been happening to me too.  For as long as I can remember I have had coughing fits.  They usually happen over a course of several months at a time and generally start with a cold or happen in the Spring (like it is here in Australia now).  I have had more than ten of these fits in the past two days and this time they have been accompanied by a need to burp in the middle of a fit.  I have had chest x-rays, blood tests, asthma tests and all the rest but nothing is working.

I would also like to recommend that people not listen to those people who warn against vaccinations.  There is a reason why polio, diptheria, tetanus, smallpox and other preventable diseases are virtually eradicated from first world countries.  So choosing to vaccinate is not only about protecting yourself and your family, it is also about creating an environment or country that the disease cannot survive in for future generations.  The risks involved with vaccinations are far outweighed by the benefits most vaccinations go through years of rigorous testing before they are approved for the general population- that's my rant but I think it's important for people to know.
How many of you in this forum have had a deviated septum surgery. I had one done last year and now I have the same symptoms you all have following bronchitus... It's the most awful feeling at night, please get back to me.
I also suffer from this problem.  I have very large tonsils and was wandering if having them removed would help.  Please can you let me know if you have had yours out and it helped/didn't help.  Thanks
Hi all,

I have the same end result without all of the same symptoms. Granted my throat spasms did start when i had a cough, and they sound like everything written before. I would cough and then have zero capacity to inhale. Once i could inhale i would sound like i was wheezing and would often burp lots immediately after. On occasion i would also cough up a clear but pasty fluid too. I also woke in the middle of the night not breathing. Very scary. I went to see a doc who sent me to an ENT. He tried the reflux meds and nothing changed. He then shifted me onto codeine phosphate (i think as a cough suppressent) that i took at night, and allegron (anti depressant with some useful side-effects) for during the day. (I didnt question, i just thanked him and started taking the drugs. I was desperate). Anyway, the coughing stopped - that may have been the drugs, but i think it had run its course.

But, and its a pretty big but - I still suffer from the spasms, only now I don't know when they are going to happen, as they are no longer preceeded by the cough. It can be when i am drinking (carbonated seems worse), yawning, talking or even if i just look up/ tilt my head back and put a strain on my throat. I am not sure what is next but I am due to call my ENT this week to let him know the drugs have run out and they really didnt fix the problem.

One thing i have noticed though, since the cough has gone the ferocity of the spasms has reduced to the point where i no longer panic (also my ENT doc did say that "you cant die from holding your breath" (which is the equivilant of the spasm). I did point out that there was a night where i coughed so violently, i vomited and then spasmed and that could kill me).

Unfortunately the triggers to the actual spasm seem different for everone, so treating the cough might not help stop the spasm, but may reduce the significance of the attack. whatever works i guess.
Well add one more to the list of people suffering from nearly all of the above symtoms. I do believe mine are related to allergies, post nasel drip seems to be a big one for me.  I have tried everything Acid reflux drugs every allergy med and spray, changed my diet you name it.  My guess is now that I've started coughing I've just put myself into having what feels like spasms. My Dr is trying hard to figure it out and were going for a round of zpac and pred.  Seems to have helped a bit but only on day 2.  Now for all you WOMEN out there how many of you experience this to be worse around your time to cycle?  Here is why I'm asking I have been treated by my OB for Endo I'm 47 close to having the Big H. I tired a drug called Lupron that stopped my cycle for 5 months. ALL OF MY SYSTOMS OF COUGHING AND SINUS PROBLEMS WERE GONE ALL SUMMER.  I don;t recommemd Lupron as the side effects of that drug were HORRIBLE!!!!!  But as soon as I stopped the injections I started the whole cycle of sinuses, post nasel drip and coughing that is just insane.  I do see an herbalist and take vitamins and supplements but none of those things seem to help other than a big difference in over all health and fatigue.  One trick I;ve learmed that takes away the tickle is a sip of some kind of booze I use Amarretto only at home and when desperate I take a sip throw it to the back of my throat let it sit for a sec and swallow, the tickle goes right away, Vodka works, just about anything strong not beer or wine. I know its not orthodox but when your depserate your desperate what can I say.  If you can't sleep do this a couple of times you will go right back to sleep and the cough stops. I have no answers or solutions just one more person looking for answers
Hey Everybody,

I'm 34, I've had laryngeal spasms since I was a teenager.  Not too often, a couple a month.  I had a bad one today which prompted my googling the term and looking for help.  My poor children (10, 8, and 7) had the phone and were about to call 911 when I didn't recover as quickly as normal, and started vomiting and almost fainting (they're used to seeing mommy on her knees gasping for air).   My spasms start with a speck of saliva or a crumb or even a dry or sore spot too close to my larynx, which sets off the reflex that we're all too familiar with, the closing up of the vocal chords.  I did find something very interesting online today that I'm going to share.  I found this website:

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0034-70942008000600008&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en

Where I found this:

Both patients were treated by applying retroauricular digital pressure with immediate improvement of the breathing pattern and arterial oxygen saturation. Since laryngeal spasm is a common and potentially severe complication due to its morbimortality, it requires a safe, effective, and fast treatment

Which I emailed to a physical therapist friend and asked her how to do this "maneuver".  She replied with this:

digital retroauticular pressure is pressing with your finger behind your ear. I did some reading and from what it describes you would press behind your ear lobe right behind where your jaw bone is, right under where your ear attaches to your head. There is a place there where your laryngeal nerve travels and apparently if you press on this area on both sides when the spasm happens it will help to stop it. . . . .

I have not tried this yet, and of course, be careful, don't make yourself faint by squeezing off any arteries or anything.  But, I am just waiting for my next spasm so I can try this out.  What an amazing thing it would be if this helped!  (and simple and free!!)  Let me know if any of you try it.  This is apparently "old knowledge" but little known or used.  

Best of luck and Merry Christmas!
I also have this problem and within the last couple of months I have passed out when that little tickled hits the back of my throat and I just go down.   I have been trying P-73 OIL OF OREGANO which helps alot (a few drops down my throat)  and I have been taking a Clarition everyday and this too seems to help with my coughing.  Google Oil of Oregano for information, its really very good.  I don't want another Rx that does not work or I have to live with side effects.  Thanks and good luck to everyone.
One other thing, eating anything with sugar makes it worse, at least for me.  
this is the second time ive had this dry cough,its a tickle in the throat, that wont go away no matter how much i cough,a couple of years ago, i tried everything, there was one thing actually gave me some relief(cough syrup with codeine) ive had a cold for about a month so figure its somthin to do with that! hope this helps
I was diagnosed with "chronic cough syndrome".  I have allergy onset asthma and my tonsils had to be removed because even on "good days" they were inflamed.  As many above stated, I was put on codeine cough syrup, but I developed an allergy to codeine.  Be careful.  I am now allergic to codeine and all of its derivatives (percoset, percodan, etc).  I found the inhaler to work.  If the inhaler does not work for you, you probably have something different.  All of these cases should be seen by a specialist.  My reactions include swelling of all mucous membranes, coughing, vomiting, and not being able to breathe.  During "the season" I must take antihistimine regularly, and ALWAYS  have the inhaler on hand.  Coffee is also a bronchodilator and seems to help.  It is important to discuss with your doc what helps, what doesn't, what triggers symptoms and your habits.  Sometimes things that seem unrelated aren't.  For some, it gets worse over something as simple as not getting enough sleep or not drinking enough water.  Cold air can be one of my triggers, as well as the allergies.  Try to not overlook anything.  Good luckl
I have an answer to the cough and choking. For me it started at age 47/female (I am now 54). Like some of you I also broke a rib coughing. It's horribly embarrasing especially eating out with friends. It took me years but I have actually found the answer. Believe it or not there is something that stops the cough. You can buy it online. It's called ban xia hou po wan and it's cheap. It can dry you out a bit so try just one or two little bb's (tiny pills) and work your way up to a full dose as listed on the bottle. It works and it starts to fix the problem which comes from what the Chinese would call "phlegm and qi stagnation". And yes the problems it treats can include GERD and a knotting sensation either in the throat or above the belly button (esophageal spasms). You don't have to have the acid reflux but the sphincters in the gut and throat aren't opening and closing all the way thus little bits of food or water are going back up instead of being eliminated down hence the tickle and spasm. Good luck to you all. -Katie
I too have had this problem for about 5 years; been through numerous doctors, medications, think i'm crazy, think they are crazy, have had the sudden spasms where I almost hack up my lungs, pee'd my pants, now wear pads all the time for just in case and have scared the hell out of everyone around me.. I also have wheezing in my throat not my lungs and can feel this; it actually feels like my throat is partially closed sometimes.. my one question to all of you is how many of you on here are any kind of blood pressure med.. I have been on it for the same amount of time I've had this problem and my doc SWEARS it is not the cause.. It is verapamil a calcium channel blocker.. and he says they don't cause coughing .. If someone has already answered that my apologies.. i must have missed it.
I too have all of the symptoms that you have all have mentioned.  I get a tickle in my throat and I start coughing out of control.  I get an instant headache, stomach ache, and feel like I'm going to pass out. This going on all day long. I have been going through this for at least 4 years.  I did have a heart attach in 2007, but my cough started before that. I am now on may different medications but my doctors insist none of them are causing my cough.   Every time I go to the doctors, he just give me a new prescription.   I am being treated for acid reflux, which at times I do have heartburn.  They are giving me Ramipril 2.5 mg & Benzonata 100 mg 3 times a day  At work I am annoying my co-workers, I feel bad, but I just can't help it.  I as so extremely frustrated with this cough, I feel like I want to come out of my skin.  I am planning on going back to the doctors and get referred to an ENT  to rule out some of the suggestions above.  I am so glad I found this site because I thought I was the only one in the world with this problem.  If anyone find anything that helps, please post it.  Thanks for listening.
I have had this same couging fit for about three years. I have found the only way to stop it for any lenghth of time -like days into weeks- is to make yourself sneeze really hard. It seems I can't cough hard enough to jar this irritation out of me. I also try to keep my throat moist by using ricola lemon throat drops et al. This seems to help. Recently I have started using the AYR salin (like a netty pot)  spray which floods the nasal area. You need to avoid colds and flu. This whole thing seems to get worse with aggravation. So quit eating the mucus producing dairy products and start sleeping with you head elevated more to mitigate the post nasal drip. If you can tickle the outside of your nose to cause a sneeze see if that shortens the coughing fit.I believe this cough caused my hernia and may be around because I smoked many years ago. My allergies trigger this but a change in temperature in a room will do it too. Good luck folks, I think we're on our own with this.
Most of you are adults, And looks like pertussis, (whooping cough) or commonly known in adults as 100 day cough. Once you received your injection when you're a kid you need a booster later in life.  Get some erythromycin take 250 mg every 6 hours for 14 days.  You will notice you will be better after just 3 days.  

One note: Don't take any antacids with erythromycin.

Thank you for sharing your stories. I can pick 1 or 2 lines from each of your posts and that would show a complete picture of the same situation I've had and am still having.
Sudden onset of violent, hacking cough while sleeping, usually around 3 AM, have interrupted my sleep now for 9 years. I am inefficient at work and have lapses in memory b/c of this. The coughing begins as a tickle, post nasal drip, then an urge to suppress the cough, then finally the coughing. I see stars, or my head feels like it will explode, tears in my eyes, tiredness, etc during and after the coughing bouts. Lasts about 10 minutes each night.
I recently had pharyngitis brought about by some bacterial infection. Yet I was given antibiotics. I tried to point this out to the OPD doc, but had no voice. Took the meds anyway and this made the fever and tiredness go away. But the violent coughs have started.
So now, in addition to the ungodly, midnight coughs, I get it in the morning as well. Nothing seems to trigger it, I could be quietly watching TV or reading a book and suddenly spasm, gag, and cough violently. I feel like there's sand in my throat, and try to clear it. Drinking water helps but very little.
Two posters mentioned Vocal Cord Dysfunction and Paradoxical Vocal Cord Motion, which are one and the same according to this site:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/137782-overview
I hope this helps and I hope someone can help. Poster dr902102 mentioned not taking anything with erythromycin. Care to share why? Thanks.
First there's the "tickle" which feels like dust particles stuck in the right side of my throat, this if followed by a violent cough in hopes of dislodging whatever's down there, which never works.  The coughing leaves me with tears running down my face (mostly from the right eye- the side where the tickle occurs), trembly voiced, and shaking.  I've had these symptoms for several months now, went to the endocrinologist secondary to prior history of thyroid problems, but was told that it sounds like "acid reflux" and that I should try an over the counter acid reducer for atleast 1 month- I'm on week 2 of this and it doesn't seem to be helping at all- was told to make an appointment with otolaryngology if no relief after 1 month on acid reducer.  Just soooo sick of this COUGH!
I am so happy to know that others have the same dam cough as I with no help from doctors either. I was beginning to think it was all in my head. My symptoms started after I had shoulder surgery almost 10 years ago! I woke up and was coughing and thinking that I might even pop out the pins that were put into my shoulder cause i was coughing so violently. I have had so many tests I cannot even remember what kind any more etc. xrays, methacoline tests for asthma, i was put on acid reducers, asthma puffers,  etc... the whole gammet. Nothing has helped and no doctor semms to know why I sstill cough. It actually feels llike I have aspirated water into my lungs when it does start. -the cough persists till it clears. I never spit out any mucus however the cough does sound productive not a dry hacking cough.
Any-one out there with similar symptoms? Any suggestions?
please e-mail me at ***@****
oh wow ....finally others who share the same symptoms ..............i am 50 yr old female diagnosed with asthma/copd on many medications ..........nebulizers inhalers advair 500/50 and spiriva.......i have these spells which starts with that tickle in my throat and the choking an coughing  usually end up wetting myself almost passing out from choking an coughing so much ...............past week has been rough got sick it went down in my chest have to take mucinex to help get it out but i am having these spells so much i cant even sleep been three days now my body is sore fro coughing so much i take my ibhaler an treatments as much as i can without going overboard ..........what exactly is it ...is there a medical term for it ..................................
wow - glad im not the only one i don't want it to last for years - i smoke and put it down to that - but funnily when i have a cigarette, i stop coughing, with water streaming from my eyes vomitting like mad and crossing my legs at the same time -  it happened after i had a cold 2 months back - i just hope it goes away - i have been given acid reflux medication in the past and it seems to be a common thing in this forum!
Hi Everyone, First of all Id like to know if anyone shares the same syptoms. i too have asthma , have inhalers and a constant runy nose and hayfever and intolerance to smells. The first time this happened to me was around six years ago when I was woken from my sleep by choking and coughing and felt like sharp broken glass was stuck in my throat. I was totally terrified and this wasnt helped by the fact that lumps of blood were also coming up from my throat . The first three times I had the blood and then it disappeared so Im not sure if this was down to my panic. Ive had it around seven times since then , mostly if I was eating or sleeping . The attacks last for 10 or 12 mins as I have timed them and although really hard to keep calm I find it better. I had one the other night and it has left me with the worst sore throat which I have now had for three days and my throat is really red . I will say that it can happen on both sides of the throat but only ever one side at a time . The worst possible most horrible thing imaginable . I honestly think its something to do with inhalers which I use twice a day especially the steriod one . Does anyone have the same thing? Please let me know as I worry about this constantly .
Jennifer Scotland
The only good thing about this is the knowledge that I am not alone. I relate to each of you.  I will never forget my first violent coughing episode which woke me from a sound  sleep on the night of August 25, 2001.  I woke up choking, coughing profusely, tears streaming down my face, my body shaking.  By the time I finished coughing, I was hoarse and could not go to work the next day.  My husband had to call my job for me.  I could not laugh, or I would cough. I could not drink anything cold, I would cough.  I could touch my throat and I could cough.  I was about to go mad - I am certain of that.  I did go to the doctor soon afterwards and had several check ups, including an upper GI for "a little" erosion.  I was later told I had acid reflux; nasal allergies, asthma and chronic bronchitis.  Since then, I have been on just about every drug, to no avail.  I've taken: Prilosec, Advair, Albuterol, Mucinex, Astelin and probably a few others I cannot remember.  I do remember that nothing works  - or only works for a short while.  I now have high blood pressure and take meds for that.  I started with that Lisinopril and nearly coughed up a piece of my lungs.  If I bend my neck down to read a book or sew, I start coughing. I am catching **** now because I just contracted a cold and boy am I in misery.   I pulled a muscle in my stomach from coughing.  Like others, I cough and cough until I vomit (haven't passed out, thank God).  I used to commute to work but the smell of men's cologne will send me into an absolute coughing spasm.  I hate the looks and stares.  When I try to suppress the cough, my body shakes uncontrollaby and the water runs down my face and when I cannot hold the cough any longer, it is horrible and it sounds like I am dying.  I have started carrying a face towel with me to try to muffle the cough.  The smell of food cooking, especially if it is burning, is horrible.  Sleep? What's that?  I just hope some of the contriubutors continue to post to let us know how things are going.  Now that the cold is a week old, the coughing really is better but it is not gone. I cannot eat popcorn, peanuts, hamburgers, or anything grainy.  The tickling in the throat never goes away.  I hope we can find a cure for this.  Nothing has helped me yet - including the Prilosec.  We need to keep each other informed.
Hi Bmbf, by any chance did you find the cure?
please advise
thanks
Joe
I just wanted to share my experience as well.  I have had this cough for around 3 years now.  I had gotten very sick with the flu and I lost my voice for around 6 weeks.  I eventually got it back but I would have this cough.  I also suffer from phlem every day.  I finally got so tired of the cough since it also causes me to sometimes vomit since it is so strong.  So I went back to the clinic and this time they put me on an inhaler Advair which I didn't take for more than a couple of days since I really don't believe that I have asthma and they didn't do any test.  They did a chest x-ray that turned out to be fine then they also perscribed me an antibiotic "clarithromycin" and "nexium" for acid.  When I went back I still had the cough but the phlem wasn't brownish/green it was now a dark yellow so they gave me the "clarithromycin" antibiotic again but this time they also gave me "Prednisone" a steroid.  Once I finished these meds I am doing much better that in the past years.  But when I do get the cough I use to pop cough drops in to which they really didn't help and I found that if I shew a small piece of gum (I like extra) that seems to do better than the cough drops.  I am still going back to get other test done.    As to the asthma I had found a remedy of taking a tsp of honey and a 1/2 tsp of honey right before bedtime.  Well, I hope that this might help others.  
I was so relieved to find this website and to read the horror stories of others who suffer from this ghastly complaint and realised that I am not alone. I too have the tickle in the throat, then the dry coughing, my ribs ache because I cough so much, when the coughing is really severe it sometimes ruptures the lining in the throat thus  producing small amount of blood.

I am registered as having Asthma yet most of the time I feel great until one of the attacks takes hold, sometimes it happens when I am asleep, I feel like I am about to take my last breath.

I have had three attacks over the weekend within 16 hours, the last attack was so bad that when it subsided I went to hospital emergency as I felt absolutely drained and very shaky and was terrified that a further  attack would finish me off! Had numerous tests plus the nebulizer but was told that they could not find anything seriously wrong with me. I also had an attack four days back when my eyes were streaming for hours even after the attack had subsided plus I felt absolutely drained of energy.

The feeling of ones throat closing up is terrifying to say the least. I use an inhaler but this does not seem to have any affect whatsover. My throat sometimes feels like it just has a small crumb or something similar  lodged in it which seems to trigger the coughing off.

I have constant post nasel drip and always feel as if something is stuck in my throat and have felt for a long time that this aggrevates the problem.

I cannot understand in this day and age when medical research is so advanced that someone has not  come up with a cure for this awful problem that so many of us suffer from.

Those close to me are used to the coughing fits but yesterday was the worse one ever and even those who have seen me like this before were very frightened as they know that there is nothing they can do to help.

I can now add my experience to the mix all the same symptoms for years since 1989 .I was diagonised with a haitial hernia( HH) at that time.

I can identify with many  of the symptoms posted here a few  differences  food touching the tickle spot in my throat would  send me into a spasm also many times just as I am starting the swallowing process it has triggered the cough as a result  I have asparated food on a few occasions over the years.

Smells bother me I find many smells overpowering as well as blowing cold air or if the car is stuffy will make me cough.
I make my own soap detergent because most detergents /cleaners are overpowering perfumy .
"Tipnut.com has the recipe and it's a huge saving less than one cent a load "
is easy to make and works great without all the chemicals .

I have been to my family doctor 7 specialists and had allergy tests, 2 upper GI's  thank God in Canada we don't pay for visits to the doctor or hospital or for tests .We do pay however with a sales tax of 13 % on all purchases except for food .
My grandchildren know me by my cough and when they were pre-toddlers would mimic me . At the movies  just someone eating popcorn near me can trigger a coughing session for about 30 sec to a min sometimes longer I have to leave the viewing area .

I go to the bathroom several time's a day just in case. I try to keep my bladder as empty as I can.I have lost control of my bladder on a few occasions so take care when going out into public areas .

I too have had people come to me concerned wanting to help especially with water I can't swallow because I can't stop coughing . The saliva glands in my cheeks would start to put out several ounces of saliva and I  couldn't swallow it fast enough a few minutes would feel sick and  later I would upchuck one mouth full of food. If I eat an orange I burp huge amounts of foam up into my mouth  (maybe the antiacid reaction )in my case a slight bend like placing a plate on the table will trigger me to cough..

Believe it or not I have learned to balance the food in my mouth while coughing .I was put on Flovent discs for a few years the lung specialist  said my bronical tubes were irritated and this would calm it down  who knows ?
I have noticed a difference since I have been doing this only a few bad sessions in 2 years none as bad as the previous ones.

I kept my bed elevated at the top actually lifed up several inches from the foot not just the mattress you need to lift the bed about 4-6 inches at the top  that stopped the night coughing  (some of you may have a sliding Hiatial Hernia it is possible ) a HH allows a small part of the stomach to slide up into the esophagus which will allow gas and acid to escape into the esophagus this acid will make you cough through the day if the upper body is not elevated at night

Asthma is unfortunately another side effect of this condition so get checked for that. I passed that test .

A post nasal drip is another symptom of a HH however you don't have to have  a HH to have a post nasal drip you can have allergies and if you sleep on your back you will cough at night.  I did not know I had one for years because it is a steady stream  down the throat and that will keep your throat irritated as well. I have learned to sleep on my side because sleeping on my back I have actually woke up with a start not being able to breath and I coughed all night .I rarely cough at all during the night now .

Get A NEILMED SINUS RINSE and  use it  follow instructions if you make your own saline solution do not use table salt there are many recipes for making your own on the internet it does help

I also take Pariet which keeps the acid toned down again food plays a big part my diet has changed raw foods like carrotts,apples choke me, garlic onion,salt, vinegar lemon will start me coughing as it enters my mouth , hot spicy food will come back to haunt me along with fat .COFFEE ALCOHOL NO  a glass of wine or hard liquor will burn all the way down if you have a HH .

If you seem to have  a painful attack in the sternum many times my family wanted me to go to the hospital however in my case it turned out to  be trapped gas Gas -X relieves it for in a very sort time I suffered for years with this pain before I started using Gas-X.

Whether or not the Flovent worked or the worst of it  just subsided on it's  for the last 2 years mine  has decreased somewhat .  I will have a coughing spasm which lasts about 1 minute now I do on occasion about every 4 months . I still cough many times throughout the day but for short bursts .Especially when I get excited  or stressed  talking to someone in person or on the phone .

I do not have the answers . I know keeping a record is a great help because when we are at the doctors trying to explain we forget things  the cure for fixing a HH can be worse than the condition if  the Stricter muscle is just slightly over tightened it will stop you from releasing gas and you will  feel bloated for the rest of your life and it can be very painful.

I had to leave my job years early because of this although my co- workers were good about it I felt terrible and just wanted to hide so my heart goes out to all of you who are working with this condition .Most doctors know nothing about this so it is difficult to get help. I did find when I retired it lessened up whether it was the medication, the bed, lifestyle change, it is not  as bad as when I worked .

In summary get checked for asthma ,Sliding Haitial Hernia ,Post nasal drip ,one or all of these things a could be   responsible for this NOW FOR A BIT OF ADVICE DO NOT listen to people who are so sure of  what your problem is these people do not live in your shoes and do not have your symptoms just because they BELIEVE they know the answer does not mean it is true for you .

Thank you for this site many of the posts here have helped me see there are many more people out there with this condition although I do have a connection to several people who have this HH and suffer many of these symptoms they do vary for each individual person and can have other causes .
Wow, I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I have all your symtoms. I do smoke so I thought it was smokers cough (I'm sure it's a trigger), am trying to quit. But looking back I had a bad fit after a cold developed into bronchitis, got over that and was fine. Then, I was doing some heavy duty cleaning and inhaled alot of fumes from cleaners, ever since then I have the fits. Tore the cartlidge from my ribs two years ago. Now I think my head will explode, because it is everyday and night, not one hour of rest. So at night, I drink hot water with honey and lemon (and at work too), take a hot shower, lay partly propped up in bed, and eat sunflower seeds by the hundreds. I don't cough while I'm eating them. One trick that I use to fall asleep is lay on my side, the side that is not tickling and curl my neck so my chin is close to my chest. After a few coughs I can breathe and fall asleep, but still wake in the night coughing.
I am currently seeing doctors. First the acid reflux, nothing has changed, and I really don't get heartburn much. They figure cause I'm nauseaus several times a day (I wasn't coughing very much then) I must have GERD or acid reflux, I'm on nexium, but no change. I go Friday for the result of my barium swallow.
Someone had mentioned chills. I get really cold when I'm about to have a bad spell, my hair stands on end on my arms. I've coughed so hard I put my back out and went on muscle relaxants for a week. Funny, I didn't cough much while I was on them. I'm so sick of cough syrup and drops. I cough so hard I see lights flashing in my eyes when I cough. Just like some have you have mentioned, I loose bladder control when I have a fit. I answer phones at work, and I'm having a very difficult time not coughing, cause sometimes speaking brings on a cough. Some mornings when I wake up I feel like I just took a valium, I'm so dazed. Good ole Buckleys. I sip a very small swallow, less than a teaspoon about every two hours, but it only helps for awhile.Oh and the smells. At work they use an air freshener (spray) and today I really noticed it. Vehicle fumes, bad smells, good smells, its all the same, if they are strong or I'm right there, it makes me choke and then the tickle starts.
I wonder what kind of area most of you live in. Do you have a lot of diesel vehicles, or industrial fumes, or mold and mildew somewhere close to you, is your climate dry and cold? I'm beginning to wonder about my breathing enviroment (besides the smoking I mean), does it have any bearing. My god, I can't take this anymore, and I have only just begun.
If I find out anything new at my appt Friday, I'll be sure to post it.

Something that may help some of you Ladies with this issue is go to your doctor ,Women's clinic or OB/GYN and ask them to fit you with a pessary we are all different sizes and therefore need to be fitted but this soft plastic ring with a ball on it when fitted correctly into the vagina will stop any dribbling and loss of control of the bladder .I inserted it every moring and was able to do my job much more confidently even though I still had the cough.

just  afew thoughts on the cough in the last 20 years since mine started I have blamed dozens of things we seem to think our tonsils or another part of our ear nose and throat is the cause
I was fixated for a few years on a fish bone lodged at the back of my throat we obsess trying to solve the problem it's so perplexing there should be an answer to this .then the lungs and bronical tubes were the cause,mold ,fungus dust ,stale air and on and on none of these things are the cause.We seem to need to believe something we do or don't do will stop it .

It is embarrasing  when some of us eat or drink something ,talk ,sit ,stand ,laydown ,bend over
or just do plain nothing go into  a violent coughing session.

The more we worry and obsess the more we stress and the more it happens of this I am sure watch yourself if you worry about it happening it usually does

One thing I do know and am more convinced as the years pass is I have apost nasal drip and that makes me cough and the doctors say oh yes ,thats your problem and I say yes I have a post nazal drip and do have a cough HOWEVER that is not the cause of the violent coughing
spasms that rack my body to the point where I vomit some of you do not

I do  have a Haitial Hernia  so yes that is a problem however it is not the reason I have violent coughing sessions because many of the people posting here do not have Hiatial hernias but have the same symptons as I do.

I have acid reflux but many of you don't however in an attempt to help dr's assume that is the problem but you know you don't have it because nothing works the medications they give for it do not work .

I do not have Asthma or copd and many of you don't  that is not the problem I do believe it is somehow connected to the voice box over the years mine has subsided somewhat however
the violent coughing does happen once in a while and after years of suffering from this am sure none of the above are the cause .

One thing I am certain of it is connected to the Larynx somehow having lost the daily even weekly violent coughing over the past few years I have noticed the tickle is more localized and comes with the larynx some how being stressed or irritated .

I was relieved to hear many others have the same problem however sad at the same time because I know how you are suffering and I hope that because many are finding this site we will all be able to bring our experiences to the table Dr's will take a further look at this horrible curse and help solve the mystery .

We can learn form each other as post our experiences All the best to you

Google this site The Mystery Chronic Cough by Dr Christopher Chang
it is one of the best explanations for this cough I have ever come across
The information is clearly presented and says it follows a viral larangyutis or upper respitory  typical patient with the chronic cough is described as follows:

Started during or after recovering from a viral laryngitis and/or upper respiratory infection
Dry cough
Cough occurs due to no perceivable reason...perhaps only a tickle
Cough may occur several times an hour to even as often as several times a minute. Must be distinguished from whooping cough (severe attacks of a choking cough that lasts 1-2 minutes often with near vomiting and appearance of suffocation-watch video).
Cough does not seem to get better with time (months or even years)
All diagnostic studies performed come back normal
Endoscopy of the throat and voicebox is normal (this exam will be performed on the first visit to ensure that there is no anatomic reason for the cough).
The video is of children with percussion but it could be me as an adult

This really sounds like our problem it is called IRRITABLE LARYNX SYNDROME Check it out
I found an even better site if you can believe it google   The voice and swallowing center of Maine at the Waldo County Hospital it has a video that expalins everything in detail check it out
http://www.lionsgrip.com/cough.html

May I be your guardian angel? Please follow the above listed link to a better world, a world without coughing, a world with superior internal weaponry that will allow you to be CURED of your deadly ailment.

But seriously this is what I found on the internet. It talks about the A-B-C Remedy in the remedy section.

TAGS!: cough, violent, mucous, mucus, infection, acid reflux, laryngeal, years, cure, just check it out, it might be your solution
Just a note on taking VITAMINS  before you start any self treatment talk to your Doctor there are many people who have suffered terrible side effects from vitamin overdose please read the article below and there are many doctors on this site who will give good medical advice on supplements .

Vitamin supplements are great as supplements to your diet, but in some cases overdoses can occur. The human body can withstand only so much of one type of vitamin. There can be deadly results from consuming extreme amounts of vitamins. There are many vitamins and minerals the body needs to be healthy. The vitamins that the body can not store such as vitamin C, are the vitamins that the human body needs and could use extra amounts. The vitamins the body does store like vitamins E, A and D can be taken to the extreme of causing a vitamin overdose.

The human body only needs one or two milligrams of vitamin B6 per day, but they are sold in one-gram quantities. When taking this dose of vitamin B6 only take one table every two days and drink plenty of water. If an overdose of vitamin B6 occurs it could cause serious damage, it could cause sensory control and motor control loss.  

Vitamin E is another vitamin that is often mistreated. There are extreme side effects of consuming more than the body can absorb. The body’s system only needs one hundred to three hundred milligrams of vitamin E per day. There are vitamin supplements on the market that are sold to help grow nails and hair. These are often abused, you need only to take one tablet per day, and consume at least eight glasses of water per day. If an overdose of vitamin E occurs it could cause blood clots, fatigue, tumors in the breast, and reproductive problems.

Consumers are unaware of the dangers of vitamins A and D. Most people take vitamins A and D they same way they take vitamin C. The only difference is that if vitamin C is taken in excess it is passed through the kidneys and flushed out of the body. But vitamins A and D are stored in the body’s fat and the liver, causing sever consequences. By consuming extreme amounts of vitamins A and D, it could result in Cirrhosis of the liver, fatigue and dry and itchy skin.

When taking any vitamin supplements only take as directed, it is best to always consult your physician first. Talk to your doctor about concerns of vitamin deficiency, and he will be able to do the proper testing and diagnose a proper vitamin diet.

Frantz was
burdened by a
relentless chronic
cough for 10 years,
and then she finally found
the answer she needed at
Fauquier Health System.
Terri’s cough began in 1997
after recovering from a virus.
She spent the next decade
visiting countless specialists
throughout Central Virginia
and the Roanoke Valley,
hoping that one of them
would be able to identify
and solve her problem.
“I was diagnosed with
everything from emphysema,
to allergies, to pneumonia, to
acid reflux, to viral infection,
to whooping cough, to a deviated
septum,” Terri says. “I
have been on about 45 different
medications and have had
seemingly endless tests, plus
several major surgeries, but
nothing ever worked. My
doctors even went to conferences
to talk about my
condition, but no one
could ever figure it out.”
Living with the chronic
cough for all those years was
frustrating, embarrassing and
difficult for Terri. At times,
the coughing would get so
bad, she couldn’t catch her
breath and she would turn
blue. And even though she
could sometimes do the normal
things that healthy people
do, such as go to the movies
www. f auqui e rhospi t a l .or g • Pa g e 1
or to church, she always had
to sit in the back near an exit
so that she could escape
during her coughing attacks.
She was constantly worried
that she would begin to cough
at an awkward time, and
once it started there was
no stopping it.
Worse than anything else,
the condition affected her
job as a substitute teacher.
“I’d be in the middle of reading
something to my class,”
Terri says, “and then I’d start
coughing. When you have a
classroom full of children,
you can’t just leave them
by themselves.”
Because the condition
affected so many areas of her
Fauquier Health System Physician
Diagnoses Rare Condition
in Roanoke Woman
continued on page 2
life, Terri never gave up hope
of finding the right diagnosis.
That’s how Fauquier Health
System came into the picture.
On Terri’s first visit to
Fauquier Health System last
April, Dr. Chris Chang
identified her problem as
laryngeal sensory neuropathy
(LSN).
“LSN is not very well
known,” Dr. Chang says. “And
LSN is rare—probably less
than one percent of all persistent
cough patients actually
have it. In fact, it’s so rare,
very few ear, nose, and throat
specialists are even aware
of it.”
Dr. Chang learned about
3 To Keep You
Healthy & Active
4 Meet Our New Physicians
Physician Honored
5 Health Screenings
6 Screening Chart for Men
7 Screening Chart
for Women
8 New Cancer Procedure
9 Calendar of Events
12 On-line Pre-Registration
Terri Frantz at home
with her daughters,
Allison and Rachel
this relatively new diagnosis
in 2005 while he was working
on his fellowship at a private
voice clinic in Portland,
Oregon. Since LSN has only
been in the medical literature
for a couple of years, he
is sharing the information
with local physicians, so that
all of our doctors will know
about it. Indeed, LSN should
be considered in any patient
whose treatments for reflux,
allergies, asthma, and infection
have been ineffective.
Terri is on medication
prescribed by Dr. Chang,
which appears to be working.
She’ll take it for a number
of months, and will then be
weaned off of it permanently.
“Fauquier Health System
is the first place that has
Meet
Dr. Chang
Dr. Chris Chang is a board certified otolaryngologist.
His medical degree is from Yale
University, and he completed his internship
and residency at Duke University. His subspecialty
is in laryngology and voice disorders.
He treats singers and voice professionals, such
as lawyers, teachers, and others who are
experiencing voice changes. Dr. Chang has
published numerous articles in respected
medical journals, is active in clinical research,
and is a frequent speaker on voice disorders.
given me any kind of hope,”
Terri says. “The people in the
Fauquier area are very fortunate
to have the health system
they have. It’s a very personal
and patient-focused health
system.”
But even with his impressive
credentials, Dr. Chang
insists he’s just one of the
many outstanding physicians
on staff at FHS. “I am proud
to work with colleagues who
have come from the best
universities, are leaders in
their field, and best of all, are
committed to providing the
level of individualized care
that we at Fauquier Health
System think patients
deserve.” 
Physician Diagnoses
Rare Condition
OMG i thought i was the only one, ive had this couth for 4 mouths now, i get it all the time (i've had it for years) it last's for months, i've told everythibg under the book oh its acid reflex (even tried meds 4 it no help), i even had nose surgrey to correct my divided septum that didnt help the cough.

It's made me life help, i dont think the DR takes it seriously enough, i feel so paro now in public that when i cough every1 is looking at me.
I have a chronic cough that past ten or more years. I kept going to my doctors and then he finally send me to an throat specialist. He said that I probably have cough variant asthma. So I have been taking an inhaler for some time now and it has helped most of the time. My flare ups mostly happen when it's cold outside (winter), when I am down with a cold, and once a month. But once I take my inhaler twice a day instead of once- the coughing seems to be better. Has anyone asked their doctors about cough variant asthma?
I would like to say to all of you I am so glad to be able to tell you that I used to have these things all the time and it was scary and the last time I thought I was going to die. I know when I had these attacks that I needed to stay calm and focus on breathing. I had been told that I had reflux, my asthma might be a trigger, allergies, and I may be having panic attacks. No! I would tell the doctors. It is none of the above. My throat closes to quick and I have to concentrate on breathing to open it up again. No one would listen and my current doctor diagnosed me with laryngeal spasms. Thank you for listening to what I said Dr. Kim!  
Here is what I learned that day. They are laryngeal spasms and there is nothing the doctors can do about it. Concentrate on breathing and don't panic he told me. OKAY!!!???? Easier said than done when you think you're going to die.  

I went to see my doctor,this same guy, for a myriad of reasons about 4 months ago and asked for blood work to be done. I asked that he check my vitamin D and he said that it should be fine but he would do it anyway because I asked.

Everything was checked, my cholestorol, b levels, liver, kidney, etc. The only thing that came back that was not okay was my Vitamin D. He was surprised and put me on an over the counter Vitamin D tab 2000iu/day. So I  only take one tablet per day.

This was approximately three months ago. I have not had an incident of coughing or spasms since that and I could feel the difference in my body after one week. I encourage all to have their Vitamin D checked and if it is below 35 begin taking Vit D and see the difference.

I have not had to worry about the embarrassment of my coughing/choking spells since this time. I feel GREAT! I hope you will try it and it works for you as it has for me.  
Hi everyone,

As with most people who have written here I had various combinations of pretty much all of the symptoms described above for about 12 months (coughing until sick, lack of sleep, multi-coloured mucus, etc) up until about 2 months ago and it turned out to be acid reflux - i know it sounds un-related to throat / cough but I've been basically taking gaviscon (heartburn / indegestion prevention) 3-4 times a day and been prescribed omeprazole, and it completely cleared up after about 2 weeks.

If I stop taking it symptoms return pretty quickly (tried it just to check), so it might be worth giving that a try for a couple of weeks - saved me from being incredibly frustrated, tired etc.

It took about a week before my throat cleared up at all, so be patient with it, and obviously this might not be what everyone has - I'm an engineer, not a doctor, so my advice is only based on my experience...

But hopefully this might be of some use to people, as I was incredibly frustrated with it.

Hope it helps, Wil
Forgot to say, this always used to start with a feeling like a hair stuck in / accross the back of my throat, and I'm taking the heartburn medication about 4 times a day - it didn't make much difference until I took it this often...
PLEASE HELP ME! IM SO SCARED IM 10 YEARS OLD AND YESTERDAY I CAME HOME FROM SCHOOL AND FELT SICK MY MUM TOLD ME TO LIE IN MY BED FOR A WHILE SO I DID FIRST I HAD A SORE STUMOCH THEN I HAD A SORE HEAD AND THEN WHEN I WAS IN MY BED MY RIBS WERE SORE I WAS SCREAMING LIKE MAD! IT FELT LIKE SOMETHING WAS CRUSHING MY RIBS IT WAS THE MOST HORRIBLE PAIN IN MY LIFE! THEN MY MUM GAVE ME A PAIN KILLER AND IT WORKED I LIED ON MY  SIDE IN MY BED AND I WAS ASLEEP INSTANTLY...BUT THIS WAS THE MOST TERRIBLE PART IT HAPPENED ABOUT 45 MINUTES AGO! I WAS IN THE SHOP AND WAS WAITING IN THE LINE AND THIS MAN WAS SWEEPING THE FLOOR AND THEN I FELT MY THROAT TIGHTEN AND I WAS GASPING FOR BREATH.I COULD NOT BREATH SO I QUICKLY RUSHED TO PUT THE THING I WAS GONNA BUY BACK AND RAN OUT THE DOOR THERE WAS TEARS IN MY EYES I BURST  INTO MY MUMS ROOM AND BURST OUT CRYING! MY MUM WAS SLEEPING BUT I WOKE HER UP SHE ASKED MY WHAT WAS WRONG SO I TOLD HER ALL ABOUT IT! SHE TOOK ME DOWN STAIRS AND BROWSED FOR ANSWERS AND THAT'S WHY IM WRITING THIS PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I COULD DO BECAUSE MY MUM IS GOING TO PHONE THE DOCTOR AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT BUT IF YOU KNOW WHAT I COULD DO THEN PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE I TAKE PANIC ATTACKS ABOUT DYING AND IM SCARED OF DYING PLUS I DON'T WANT TO DIE AT THE AGE OF 10 OR ANY OTHER YOUNG AGE!
There is another related discussion on this forum ~ "Is everyone still having these symptoms".
Makes very interesting reading as well.
We are not alone ~ it just seems that NO ONE can cure it!!!
I have had my cough (same symptons as all of you) for well on 20 yrs and unless someone decides to take it on,and try and find a cure, it seems like we all have to live with it.
There have been various descriptions of this cough but it all boils down to the same ~ a constant tickle in the throat at no given time causing chronic coughing!