Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
viral sore throat with ulcers....

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

viral sore throat with ulcers....

I am a healthy 18 year old female. 2 weeks ago i had a sinus infection which was treated with antiobiotics. BEcause i felt I was well i didn't take the last dose... a week later i felt sick again.. my ears hurt and my throat was sore.. (My tonsils were removed when i was 3). The left side of my throat(back of my mouth) on the side are 3 ulcers that look like canker sores and even farther back to the opening of my throat the area is swollen and red and whitish.. the other side of my thraot in the back of my mouth is wihte and looks like some parts are bleeding but are actually inflammed capillaries.. my doctor told me it was a virus and that it had nothing to do with me previous infection. It is what is causing my left ear to hurt and i feel my throat glands on the left side to be swollen. When she looked at it she automatically knew it was a virus and she said something like "potluck" but i believe i heard her wrong. Do you happen to know any virus that matches these symptoms? My Dr. asked me if i had any rashes and i tod her no because i don't. She prescribed antiviral acyclovir for 5 days/3times per day.. can you help me identify this? I am scared because researching online bring to me to STDs and i dont believe i had HIV or AIDS in that i hav only one partner.. anyhow i just want to know what it is and how long it will take to go away and another thing.. i am getting surgery in a few days and i will be put to sleep.. is it recommended with this condition.. i can breathe perfectly.. thank you....
It is clear that you are very upset about this condition.  It is possible that this is a viral infection.  Several upper airway viruses can cause similar symptoms and can follow another infection, as you have described.  It is also possible that the previous infection did not completely clear with the antibiotics you took and has flared again.  A diagnosis cannot be made for sure without a culture.  If this is a viral infection it will go away over a period of time.  If the symptoms continue to increase, more testing may be needed, including a sinus x-ray.
Info on acyclovir at: http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/acyclo.htm

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/acyclo_pi.htm Patient Info
"Acyclovir is used for the treatment of genital herpes, varicella-zoster (shingles) and chickenpox."
-------------------------------------
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a681045.html
"Why is this medication prescribed?
Acyclovir is used to treat herpes infections of the skin, lip, and genitals; herpes zoster (shingles); and chickenpox. It does not cure herpes infections but decreases pain and itching and promotes healing.

Topical acyclovir does not prevent the recurrence of sores but may decrease pain and itching if applied when the earliest symptoms first appear. Oral acyclovir decreases the frequency and severity of recurrent sores, but it is used only by people with severe herpes infections because of possible adverse effects."

This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information."
-------------------------------------------

You might want to get another opinion from an ENT [ear, nose, throat specialist. The diagnosis you got sounds more like a guess. You should have taken the antibiotics to the end of the dose. Maybe the infection came back?

Regarding surgery, ask your surgeon or anesthesiologist. Depends on the type of surgery, type of anesthesia [general with intubation, local with MAC, spinal]. Let us know what he says.
---------------
it might be coxsackie's.......its a virus and its like a herpes....kids get it alot........

Your sore throat discrpition is exactly what we have been chasing for nine months.Our 14 year old dughter has the same as you do in the throat/ear pain. Ulcers and whiteish inflamation (inflammation) and she has even developed ulcers in her mouth ,tongue and nose.
   Using colcinchin and nilstat/nystatin and benadryl ( a compuond made at the pharmacy. The ulcers will be very little if not even gone ,BUT and this is a big BUT , you will be living on a very fine line ,as soon as you get "the sniffles" ,it all comes back again in your throat.
    We have been through 5(five) specialists ,admmited into a cancer clinic (looking for Lymphoma) 3 c.t. scans , 2 biopsies (throat) 1 gene rearrangment analysis. Prednisone (steriod), antibiotics ( ceftin ,anomoxin, and some others that I can't remeber right now) anti-fungal agent fluconase have all been tried with some having good sucess for a few days and then back to hell again. This is a very miserable state to be in.
  One doc is treating her for Reocurrent Aphtomis Stomotitis ( R.A.S.), one is treating for Bechet's disease. PLEASE-PLEASE If you have any info on your end I would be very grateful.
                            P.S. I can tell you with-out a doubt that our daughter is a virgin.
A related discussion, Couple with mouth and throat ulcer problem was started.
A related discussion, DRY THROAT was started.