Respiratory Disorders Community
what do these figures mean

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

what do these figures mean

Pulmonary Function tests

FEV1 of .77 and FVC of .97, 28% and 30% respectively. Restrictive pattern.  

Grateful if someone can help.

Ta
Are you kidding?  Did you have a hard time doing this test?  FEV1 is the volume you exhale in one second. FVC is Fast Vital Capacity (a deep breath).  Your Low FVC should have been followed up by a Plethysmography test (total lung capacity). Normal for me is FEV1 of 2.98 & FVC 3.48, I'm female 5' 1" tall and 38 years old)  I don't know if your male or female, height, age and weight.  If you are short or severely obese, then these numbers may not be that bad.  These numbers are not compatible with life for a normal height person and weight.  Have you had a CT scan of your chest and an x-ray?  All of your numbers are less then a liter.  You need clinical correlation on these values.Repeat this test if you had problems with the pft maneuver.

Sorry forgot these bits.Female, 5 5 and about 11 stone. I am 37, elevated diaphragm on left, phrenic nerve palsies partial on R and full on L. I have to have oxygen and get short of breath. Does this help. Sorry did  not mena to scare you.
It sounds like you are severely restricted.  Pulmonary problems are in two groups either obstructive or restrictive. Obstructive = the bronchial tubes are obstructed, unable to exhale.  Restricted = the alveoli (air sacs) are unable to expand.  I hope that you are under the care of a pulmonologist and neurologist.  One test to check your diaphragm strength is a MIP/MEP and MVV. MIP/MEP = Maximum inspiratory pressure and Maximum expiratory pressure, MVV= Max breathing capacity/Max voluntary ventilation. I would expect your total lung capacity and diffusion capacity was tested.  Total lung capacity (TLC) is done by plethysmography “body box”. Diffusion capacity (DLCO) is an oxygen transfer test. There are a lot more tests I would expect you need to do.  From x-rays, ct scans, mri, measurement of transdiaphragmatic pressure, sleep study, arterial blood gas, electromyography and so on.  Also, look into surgical placation.  You may be a candidate.  Good luck with all of this.  
oops, I meant diaphragmatic plication not surgical palaction.
Thanks for info. Yes I have had sleep studies (well non sleep studies!!) Some of the tests you refer to I could not do as I cannot breathe in deep enough to open the valve, that was what they told me. They want to see what happens to my other side and then will have better idea of next step. Problem is do not know why this happened in first place, I just started getting very  out of breath and they started doing tests on me.  I live ok with oxygen as my shadow though get out of puff quickly. That's life I suppose. Oh well thanks again for the insight.  Oh yes pacing was mentioned. the plication thing sounds horrendous.