Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
what is the difference from cystic and Sac Bronchiectasis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I recently had genetic testing and the results showed that a mutated gene associated with Cystic Fibrosis was found.
I also have Brochiectasis. I am wondering what the difference is from cystic and Sac Brochiectasis. Any advice would be helpful.  Thank you nyzki
The word cystic, in cystic fibrosis (CF), derives from one of the original names, cystic fibrosis of the pancreas, attached to the disease by a pathologist.

Cystic and saccular bronchiectasis are similar and refer to the anatomic configuration of the bronchiectasis, such as clusters of cysts or saccules at the end of a bronchus that replace the normal tapering of the bronchi.  Cylindrical bronchiectasis describes a stage of the disease prior to the development of saccules in which the bronchi fail to taper.  These types of bronchiectasis occur in the peripheral portions of the lungs.

The distinctions are less important than the extent of the bronchiectasis – diffuse, fairly localized, and clinically insignificant.  You would do well to visit the website of the CF foundation by copying and pasting there address

http://www.cff.org/

into the address window of your internet browser.  The increase in longevity of those diagnosed with CF is especially encouraging.

Good luck.