Respiratory Disorders Community
wheezing at night
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

wheezing at night

Over the last 2 weeks I have woken up in the early hours of the morning because of a wheeze in my chest. I'm finding it impossible to get back to sleep after this.  It only occurs when I lie on my back or side - when I actually lie on my front it doesn't happen - but as you can imagine this is not the most comfortable sleeping position. THis has only ever happened to me once before - when I was on holidays last year but I put it down to the heat and humidity at the time.

I have been a ""social" smoker for a number of years - smoking maybe a couple a day and probably more at weekend - culminating in approx 20 a week.  I completely stopped about 6 weeks ago.  There may be a very small amount of mucus lodged when I wake up, but only a minimal and as soon as I lie down again the wheezing resumes.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening??

Thank you.