Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
white sputum

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

white sputum

I have a chest pain, also it's not a cough but i constantly have to spit out white bubbly sputum. I have had this problem for 4 months. At first I thought it was an allergy, and i took allergy medicines, and later it wasn't improving, so i went to a doctor. Because i felt like something was stuck in my throat or i felt like a fluid was inside my lungs. I went to a doctor and he told me nothing as wrong it could probably the stomache problem or im very sensitive. I got the following symptom after i got drunk and slept in a cold night with a fan on, I had a cold at the time and it wasn't very bad, but after smoking constantly i spat blood out there's about 3 months ago and after that i didn't spit anymore.
The phlegm is very white and sometimes it's thick and it doesn't feel like it's coming out of anywhere but in the lung.
I think there's a fluid in my lung and i just keep have to spit out. i took antibiotic, expectorant, allergy medicines and I did try anything. sometimes when i wake up there's a pain in my lung but other than that, i think it's not bronchitis or any serious illness (lung cancer). the doctor told me it could be related to my stomache (acid reflux) or maybe i'm too senstiive, but i wonder if ti's related to my smoking after getting cold that it aggravated the illness and may have contributed it to be chronic? that i have to live with this forever?
it's really embarassing because i have always have to spit it out or swallow it back and it gets worse after smoke, the sputum just comes out and i have to keep swallow or spit it out and it stays like 2 hours until it subsides.
i already took the antibiotic that was given to me directly by the doctor that was 5 day's worth of medicine and other than that i had really strong azithromycin for 5 days at the pharmacy but it persists and i don't think it's contagious nor it's related to infection. maybe after smoking(constantly)could be the problem?
oh, before that i had hard tim
Sounds like you are suffering from chronic bronchitis that worsened with acute bronchitis 4 months ago.  It is highly likely that both are related to heavy smoking.  And, yes, hard coughing can sometimes be a cause of blood in the sputum, but should it ever happen again you should definitely have your lungs checked-out.  It is very likely that your symptoms will persist as long as you continue to smoke.

There are many types of chronic lung disease, many of them called interstitial lung disease (ILD), and most of these are aggravated by tobacco and other smoke.  This could be serious and definitely is serious enough for you to have a chest x-ray, pulmonary function tests (PFTs), and examination of the phlegm you are raising for infection and for malignant cells.  If your doctor is at all uncomfortable with these recommendations, you might want to ask for referral to a lung specialist.

Finally, you should take what has happened as a serious sign that smoking is damaging your lungs and do your best to find a way to quit smoking.  Your state's Quit Line could be most helpful and you can be put in touch with them by calling 1 (800) QUIT-NOW (784-8669).

Good luck.
i didn't spit blood out that's distant past 3 months ago , but just white bubbly sputum that just seems keep produced from my lung. the symptom is that.
i had to spit blood out because at the time i had a cold and i was coughing really bad.
but 4 months later i don't have cough or cold anymore but constantly have to spit out white small bubbly sputum. any helps? this is very embarassing
thank you for answering me. i will try to smoke less and later quit.
but indeed, i didn't have the kind of symptom where you inhale one smoke and you feel like throwing up, i guess i'm getting worse and should quit. thanks for answring my question.
A related discussion, confused was started.