worsenig of Emphysema
I was diagnosed with emphysema 1.5 years ago. Since then I have been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis and GERD. My question is will the sinusitis and GERD make emphysema worse? I am only 43 and have a young family...am very anxious about the future. Non smoker
You might feel worse if the GERD and sinusitis isn't controlled...The GERD can cause asthma symptoms if you reflux into your lungs. Post nasal drip from the sinusitis can make its way into the lungs and also cause coughing even an infection there if it is bad enough. Definitely worth trying to control the best you can. I have both problems as well and find that my asthma symptoms flare up if either or both the GERD and sinusitis are acting up.
BTW...did you by any chance get tested for Alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency? It is an inherited disorder that often causes emphysema in younger people. Considering you don't smoke its worth looking into.
Sunny
Hi sunny,
thanks for the response. I was tested for the deficiency and do not have it. I was living near the world trade towers on 9/11. My drs seem to think this, and a career as an artist often using toxic substances are to blame. i just don't want to get worse...I have little people I am responsible for