Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
young child inhaling gas fumes
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

young child inhaling gas fumes

My 7 year old daughter was caught inhaling gasoline fumes.  She looked dazed and eventually got sick.  Now, she has a terrible strong gas odor on her breath, I was wondering if there were any kind of symptoms I should look for in case of poisoning or any other respiratory problems.  She seems to be acting normal in every other aspect.  Thanks for any advice or information you can give!
Related Discussions
251132_tn?1198082422
You should call your local poison center.  All major cities have such centers.  For example the number of the Rocky Mountain Poison Center is (303) 739-1123.

A doctor should examine your daughter.  A chest x-ray would show if she has chemical pneumonia.  This along with the risk of combustion and burns are the two important acute problems.  In the long run, the greatest concern is chronic, recurrent gasoline sniffing.  This can lead to toxicity that causes peripheral nerve damage.

Equally important for you and your daughter is to determine why a 7 year old would have been sniffing gasoline.  The first place I would look would be to older siblings or older children in the neighborhood who might have introduced her to this dangerous behavior.  You should do everything in your power to prevent a recurrence.
2 Comments
Blank
She probably needs to see a doc and have some blood work. Liver enzymes, and kidney screening testing comes to mind, as most toxins are eliminated through the lungs, urine, and liver. I wouldn't mess around and put this off. She needs to be evaluated ASAP. A CBC (complete blood count) probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

All labs perform these basic tests, and you could get the results very quickly. However, a doctor must order them.

Good luck.
Blank
587274_tn?1218525911
A related discussion, 7 year old was found huffing gasoline was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker