Restless Leg Syndrome Community
Is this real

Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a neurological disorder characterized by unpleasant sensations in the legs and an uncontrollable, and sometimes overwhelming, urge to move them for relief. Discuss topics including causes, medical or alternative treatments and how to get more sleep while suffering from RLS.

Is this real

I guess I can't really believe this as so much has gone wrong the past three years, but I feel that this diagnosis is some how wrong I don't feel my legs tingling and the desire to move them just the opposite they feel like lead balloons that are heavy, I have sharp pains in the right leg that does not go away when awake. they did a sleep study and it showed leg movements around 54% of the time with it wake me up 19 to 25 times a hour. so the doctor gave me a prescription to take that could cause daytime sleepiness, I already take several blood pressure and heart meds that do that, is there a way to treat this if it is true RLS without meds. I do suffer from anemia and recieve iron infusion every 4 to 5 months.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If the sleep study showed evidence of restless leg syndrome, then you are likely to be having it. It can be treated with medications, but the first line of therapy is to correct the root causes, like iron deficiency anemia or varicose veins. Also, good sleep hygiene measures can promote sleep and prevent symptoms of restless leg syndrome. Go to bed early almost at the same time every day, wake up at the same time, avoid smoking, alcohol, caffeinated beverages and exercise regularly.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks so very much for the response, what exactly is restless leg syndrome? I wasn't given any info they gave me prescription and told to follow up with my GP in three to four months.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Restless leg syndrome, where there is an odd sensation in the legs during sleep causing the individual to move, which relieves the sensation. This disorder can cause inadequate sleep leading to fatigue and daytime sleepiness. Studies show that approximately 50% of sufferers have a family history of the disorder. But it is also known to be associated with certain conditions. Such conditions include: iron deficiency anaemia, diabetes, alcoholism, rheumatoid arthritis, kidney failure and Parkinson's Disease. Medications which help to control the symptoms include dopamines, opiates and benzodiazepines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.