Restless Leg Syndrome Community
New here

Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a neurological disorder characterized by unpleasant sensations in the legs and an uncontrollable, and sometimes overwhelming, urge to move them for relief. Discuss topics including causes, medical or alternative treatments and how to get more sleep while suffering from RLS.

New here

Hey there I have rls and was told I had it about a year ago!!! I'll help anyway I can!!
Hi, I have it too.  Not an active community I see and I guess that's a good thing.  Anyway, sorry you have it; sorry I have it.

Compare notes sometime if you'd like.  I feel like I'm on an Island.
you can message me anytime and no its not active at all and there are a few other communities that are not as well. LOL
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The symptoms of restless leg syndrome can be controlled with medications. But good sleep hygiene measures can help reduce the severity of your symptoms. Follow good sleep hygiene measures like going to bed at the same time, waking up at the same time, avoidance of alcohol, smoking and caffeinated beverages. Maintain warm, comfortable bedroom environment and engage in relaxing activities like a warm bath before bed time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I am new the diagnosis of RLS too. I was officially diagnosed in September 2011 by a rheumatologist after much arguing with my primary dr.  Looking back I believe I have had RLS since I was a child.  At the time of my diagnosis I was so sleep deprived that I was experiencing restless body during the day.  Trying to get through work was extremely difficult and I often missed days due to being awake multiple nights in a row, or leaving work early due to being in so much pain and fatigue that I could not function.  Since then I have been on ropinerol (Requip) and it works well.  I also take a magnesium/calcium supplement every evening with dinner.  I have changed my diet drastically to not only manage rls, but endometriosis and ovarian cysts.  So far I am seeing an improvement in all of my symptoms and a decrease in the intensity of my pain.  

This has been a real struggle for me as everything manifested at the same time which makes me think that these conditions exacerbate each other.  I think the hardest part of this besides the fatigue which I can get from either condition, is coming to terms with giving up certain activities that I used to get pleasure from.  Specifically, running (endo pain), step aerobics (endo and rls pain), coffee (oh how I miss it), and my weekly happy hour(s).  I still sneak in a half-caff and a cocktail every once in a while. There is a whole long list of other foods that I have given up for endometriosis too, but I won't list that here.

To MissyPrissy, it definitely feels like I'm on an island.  No one really understands my pain unless they are themselves going through it.  I have found a lot of support on this site for both RLS and Endo.

I hope my brief story helps and am here anytime you need support or just someone to vent to.
Take care.