Restless leg syndrome
what medications are generally used to treat chronic RLS?  Every 15 -60 seconds during sleep and many times in the evening generally beginning around 4 PM.
Have you had a sleep study to identify if you might also have Periodic Limb Movements of Sleep (PLMS or PLMD)? Just wondering if the timing of every 15-60 seconds during sleep was observed in a sleep lab or at home. PLMD and RLS are often treated with the same meds, and dopamine agonists are commonly prescribed. Depending on how disruptive the sensations are to your sleep and daily well being, you may have to resort to medication, but please do become informed about any medication you consider. I would personally suggest you pursue other approaches first and use meds if those efforts fail.  (having iron studies done, checking meds for this as a side effect, avoiding caffiene, exercise, warm soaks at night, nutritional support thru supplements, reading tips from others, etc.) Best wishes in finding what will work for you.
Hi, restless leg syndrome (RLS) can be treated by underlying illness, if known. For example, a search for iron deficiency by blood testing to reveal underlying iron deficiency anemia by supplying iron. Elimination of caffeine, smoking and alcohol can be very helpful. Getting better sleep and exercise can help some persons affected by restless legs.  

Drugs include carbidopa-levodopa, opioids , tramadol  for intermittent symptoms, carbamazepine, clonazepam, diazepam, triazolam, and clonidine. Also, recently, gabapentin (Neurontin) has been found helpful. I suggest you to consult physician. Take care and regards.
Yes I did have a sleep study done and they are going to do a study duri g the day as well.  I spend sometimes up to 20 hours a day in bed and have constant fatigue.  The sleep test showed severe RLS and that I wake up alot during my sleep infact I am awake much more than I am asleep and I don't generally get any quality sleep due to this.  Right now I am just waiting for more thourough testing, but I do have Fibromyalgia and possibly MS.  All my blood tests are in the normal range and I am not anemic.   I do have some of those medications on hand for other reasons, and tried using the clonaepam but it made me really drowsy, and I tried the neurontin, that does seem to help alot  I was hoping that one of my PRNs could be tried.  

Try my fetal stretch.i have been suffering with severe restless legs syndrome for 35 years. A month ago, I accidently found a method to eliminate the symptoms for approximatel 24 hours. I call it the fetal stretch and it has changed my life. When i feel the symptoms resuming, i simply lay on my side, get into a very tight fetal position, really stretching the back and legs, hold for 2 minutes, release, and symptoms disappear for about 24 hours.
I blelieve it is the stretching of the back that is doing something.
I am now on a mission to tell as many people as possible. Ionly wish i had discoveed this many years ago. So many years of suffering!
I realize this thread is kind of old, but in case you are still searching for treatment, Requip (ropinerol) is also used for RLS. I started taking the lowest dose about four months ago along with a magnesium/calcium supplement about 11/2-2hrs before bedtime and am able to sleep through the night. Finally! Since I am getting quality sleep, I have very little symptoms during the day, however they do occur.  That isn't bad considering that I used to have all over body pain and restless body due to the fatigue.  Limiting and/or eliminating caffeine and alcohol will also help.  I do allow myself a little of both, but I notice the twitch/crawly feeling and pain show up almost immediately after having caffeine and alcohol.  
none of that works for me.
any side effects?
When I take Requip, within a half an hour I am vomiting like mad. Doctor says keep taking it it may go away. I am not about to go through this every evening at bed time...so since I am retired I am going to walk more and do stretching exercises and keep taking Neurontin...or just stay up all night and finally sleep for a few hours in the early morning. I do find if I take a good walk daily it sure helps.