Same crap differant day
Have had rls once or twice a month for ten years. Then bam, it's full blown, unreal, can't do this, rls. I don't need to tell you all how it feels... But discribeing it to a small town doctor feels like I'm talking to a book. Short story, I moved to Idaho from California. Seeking the small town, farm, slow pace and American dream of life. Digging in deep with enjoying the mild winter and active from dawn to dusk. Then this rls stopped me in my tracks and I joined, what I like to call "Zombie Walkers". Three weeks and 40ish hours total sleep and their urgent care dr gave me requip and ambian. A month later I found a family dr and she added gabapentin. The pain is unbelievable! I sleep 5 hours a night but now my pain is day time and by night so damn bad I can't wait to pop that sleeping pill and sleep! My active life is gone! My question is... What pain meds can I ask for? Pain meds are nit top of my list... Heck this gabapentin loops me and makes me unlike myself. Don't need to be a looped zombie just a pain free one!
Before you go the pain pill route and risk getting addicted check out what my doctor gives me and see if you feel it might work.  I take carbidopa /levo ER
when my restless legs kick in and it has not failed me yet.  I get it almost daily.  It is a parkinson's med, but I only take 3-6 a day when it gets bad and those with parkinson's take 36 a day.  So the warnings are for those larger amounts.  The non generic name is sinemet cr.  
Hello there,
I hope things are getting better for you. I am going through the same bout myself with a recent increase of rls during night and day. I went through iron tests which may be something that can cause rls. My tests came back normal so the doc is increasing my ropinerol (also a Parkinson's med) I was at .5mg and will be going up to .75 mg. I only take it 1-2 hours before bedtime. For pain during the day vicodin is my lifesaver.
I also take melatonin right before bed to help ease me to sleep.
Ok, one more,

A nice long walk about 2-3 hours before bed followed by a warm-hot bath with lavendar salts and/or essential oils also helps.
I only recently learned that Ropinirole should be taken several hours before going to sleep. Made all the difference for me. I had been popping it 1/2 hr. before bedtime and wondering why it wasn't working.  By taking it earlier, the sensations are gone before I get into bed.

Idaho, Have you tried Ropinirole? Seems like your symptom is mainly pain, rather than restlessness, so I'm not sure if this will work. I have had pain, but not to the same degree. Worth a try, though.
Hoping you get the help you need.
Em