Restless Leg Syndrome Community
restless leg syndrome

Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a neurological disorder characterized by unpleasant sensations in the legs and an uncontrollable, and sometimes overwhelming, urge to move them for relief. Discuss topics including causes, medical or alternative treatments and how to get more sleep while suffering from RLS.

restless leg syndrome

I am a 39 year old male that has suffered for years with restless legs, leg/joint pain, both of which have caused many sleepless nights.  The pain is more noticeable during weather changes (doesn't matter if its warm to cold or cold to warm).  My legs twitch almost constantly and is very noticeable especially when sleeping, I have been told i have had my legs have spasmed to my chest. I have also had multiple arthroscopic knee surgeries due to a parachuting accident when i was younger.  The issue is the pain is getting worse, the legs are weakening to the point they have sporatically given out.  I am unable to walk for long periods of time, the pain is not lessening even though i am currently taking myropex on a daily basis.  I have had testing for restless leg syndrome, arthritis, had an mri, etc and am tired of not being able to get any relief from this because no one knows whats wrong.  This has been ongoing for over 10 years and is progressively getting worse to the point I had to quit my job because I was not able to function normally. Any help would be appreciated.
I have nerve damage from herniated disk and have the same problem. I tried things like muscle relaxers and neurontin but they didn't work. Finally my doctor put me on gabitril and they finally stopped. It is a seizure medication. As far as your legs giving out my best guess would be the spasms are overworking them. I know I would wake up and feel like I ran the iron man marathon. I had even occasionally kicked my husband out of bed. I also have arthritis and I take Black cherry extract for it. NOW brand 750 mg. I took 2/3x day for the first week then went to two per day and I adjust for weather and activities that irritate it. As for telling you what is wrong I have no clue but I hope some of this is helpful. Good luck to you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. You need to find the cause for restless leg syndrome like blood test to check iron deficiency anemia, varicose veins would need surgical repair, reduction of caffeine and nicotine consumption, stop smoking if you do, exercise and good sleep. Medications used are iron supplements, carbidopa- levodopa, opioids, carbamazepine, clonazepam, baclofen, temazepam,bromocriptine etc. other drugs are ropinirole, pramipexole or mirapex you are already taking, gabapentin etc also can be tried under .your neurologist prescription. Other alternatives are warm/cold baths, electric nerve stimulation, oral magnesium, and acupuncture . Anxiety may aggravate symptoms and needs to be controlled. Take care.