Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community
Methotrexate/Folic Acid
About This Community:

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a form of arthritis that causes pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of function in your joints. It can affect any joint but is common in the wrist and fingers. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Methotrexate/Folic Acid

How much Folic (dose) do you take to how much Methotrexate (dose)if you are taking the pills? Do you ever take more Folic then prescribed? What other Supplements do you take?
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

The doses of methotrexate and folic acid may vary among patients depending on the response curve. The folic acid has to be in sync with the methotrexate since it is used to counteract its side effects. More than prescribed intake of folic acid may theoretically reduce the efficacy of methotrexate, though slightly increased doses would not really make a difference.
Hope this information helps.

Take care!
Blank
459853_tn?1283144114
I was on the 2.5 mg pills of Methotrexaste once a week but took the folic acid everyday. I took like 6 of the methotrexate pills every friday, so like 15mg a week. It was a low dose but back then it helped tremendously!
Blank
1193998_tn?1265121197
There are sevearal schools of thought on mtx and folic acid. The way my former rheumie explained it to me, mtx and folic acid compete for the same chemical receptors in the body, so taking them within 24 hours of each other makes them both work less well. (Although just as many patients don't seem to have a problem with it at all!)  

I take my mtx, 20mg equivalent in injectible form, on Monday. On that day, I don't take anything containing folic acid, not even a multivitamin. 24 hours later I take my prescription folic acid. The rest of the week I take over the counter folic acid in addition to my multivitamin.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...