Methotrexate/Folic Acid
How much Folic (dose) do you take to how much Methotrexate (dose)if you are taking the pills? Do you ever take more Folic then prescribed? What other Supplements do you take?
Hi there!

The doses of methotrexate and folic acid may vary among patients depending on the response curve. The folic acid has to be in sync with the methotrexate since it is used to counteract its side effects. More than prescribed intake of folic acid may theoretically reduce the efficacy of methotrexate, though slightly increased doses would not really make a difference.
Hope this information helps.

Take care!
I was on the 2.5 mg pills of Methotrexaste once a week but took the folic acid everyday. I took like 6 of the methotrexate pills every friday, so like 15mg a week. It was a low dose but back then it helped tremendously!
There are sevearal schools of thought on mtx and folic acid. The way my former rheumie explained it to me, mtx and folic acid compete for the same chemical receptors in the body, so taking them within 24 hours of each other makes them both work less well. (Although just as many patients don't seem to have a problem with it at all!)  

I take my mtx, 20mg equivalent in injectible form, on Monday. On that day, I don't take anything containing folic acid, not even a multivitamin. 24 hours later I take my prescription folic acid. The rest of the week I take over the counter folic acid in addition to my multivitamin.