Alternative Pain Management for RA
I am looking for an alternative pain management for RA that does not involve opiates.  My RA is being managed with methotetrate (spelled wrong for sure), but I still have chronic pain in my wrists.  The pain can be described as moderate.  

My insurance company will not approve biologicals because of pre-existing condition clauses.

Are there alternatives to managing the pain?
P.S. to above.  I am allergic to NSAIDs.  Naproxine put me in the hospital with anaflatic shock (again the spelling is horrible).
You can try a couple of things that may help:

- wrist splints (you can get these at drug stores or places like walmart in the pharmacy section). I like the ones that are specifically made for left and right wrists - i find these more comfy. Wear these at night to keep you from curling/clenching your hands and wrists, and during the day if you're not doing anything else and involves your hands.

- if you type a lot like I do, compression gloves or softer wrist supports may help. use a beanbag type wrist support if you work at a desktop - a long one for the keyboard and small one for mouse.

- Paraffin dips. These can be quite soothing! Try one at a nail salon and if you like it, you can get a home unit fairly inexpensively at pharmacies or Wally World.

- I have not tried acupuncture, but this may help as well.

Hope this helps!
Hi there!
I have had RA since age 5. At that time they put me on 5mg of prednisone and I have continued with that for decades. Not the best to be on but it does the trick. I have managed to decrease it to 3.5 mgs before but thought that 1.5 mg wasn't that big a deal.

What I have had a lot of luck with is seeing a naturopath for the past 15 years. What a difference! Mainly it was regular food sensitivity testing-about every 4 months. I would eliminate those foods for a time and then have another test. Over time, I could see a patter. A pattern that seems to be consistent to people with arthritis, including osteo. No cow's milk. wheat, sugar, and citrus (pineapple is NOT citrus as it is alkaline). I used gaot's milk for baking, gluten free wheat substitutes for pancakes, muffins, bread, etc. You have to try different brands-don't let one bad experience or taste put you off. You soon get used to it too. At Starbucks I order soy lattes. There are so many options out there now. Not like 30 years ago.

Now, also try the combination of 500 mg of bromelain and a turmeric root capsule at mealtimes. The turmeric root  should be "Theracurmin". Natural factors makes them.The other are tablets by New Roots called Infla-Heal Plus. The main ingredient is Serrapeptase.  I would suggest taking a brand of Serrapeptase on it's own, upon waking, and then the Infla-Heal Plus during the day, between meals.

I found that naturopathy, acupuncture, chiropractic and massage have been my friends for years. :))

Brenda
Oh, and Arthritis does not like alcohol and tobacco. Tobacco is part of the nightshade family. Peppers, tomatoes, potatoes. I love tomatoes and potatoes so I do cheat a lot. What I find is quite often you can eat something and you don't feel that inflamed but the way it affects arthritis is more of a cumulative effect-over days sometimes. So, if I am good 6 days a week and then I have pizza on Saturday it really doesn't affect me.
BrendaQ is spot on!