Am I in early stages of RA?
Hi there! I have been confused for months as to what is going on in my body. I'm a 31-yo female who began exhibiting odd symptoms a few months back (August 2012). It all started with blueing of the fingertips on my left hand. I have a history of DVT in left leg (2009- I have factor V Leiden blood clotting mutation) so my PCP referred me to a vascular surgeon to rule out blood clots in arm. I had arterial/venous ultrasounds and a CT scan of upper chest which were all normal. I then began having pain in shoulders, blueing in the toes in Sept and was diagnosed with Raynauds and referred to rheumatologist. Rheumatologist blew me off, ran some tests ; ANA -negative, ESR- 6 (normal <20), Rheumatoid Factor 14 (normal <14) so it was slightly elevated. He told me I had Raynauds and tendinitis? I went back a few weeks ago because the joint pain is sever in shoulders, my hips hurt and hands occasionally and having severe fatigue. I also have occasional numbness in left leg and left arm. I am awaiting results of brain MRI. Blood work in early December; ESR- 7, RF- still 14 ; anti CCP- 30 (normal <20). I had to email him and asked about elevated anti CCP and asked if indicative of RA. He said maybe, but I am not having swelling or stiffness, so prob not RA. I am just so confused :( I am following up in a few weeks again but feel as though it'll go nowhere. Any thoughts? (he said because ANA was negative it can't be Lupus as well)
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed history and a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. None of the tests actually specifically rule out RA, while with elevated anti-CCP the possibility may need to be considered if other diagnostic criteria are fulfilled. I would suggest consulting a rheumatologist for a detailed evaluation. A management plan can be drafted after a specific cause is identified.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
I would find another rheumatologist if the first one didn't listen to you. RA can be beastly hard to pin down because it's never the same any two patients. There's no one-size-fits-all in terms of symptoms, test results, treatments, disease progression, etc. A good rheumie will know this and work to find what treatments work for you as an individual. Good luck!
Better opt for an good Rheumatologist and get done with the medical evaluation so that any recommendations and suggestions would be possible. Without any prior evaluation its really very confusing to say what it may be?
did you find an answer??

i hope you are doing better.