Anti-CCP
I was diagnosed with Seronegative RA in April. One of the blood tests performed has me curious. The Anti-CCP. If there are no auto antibodies detected in the blood shouldn't the result of the test be 0? If any trace of anti-ccp is found shouldn't the test be positive? Or do some healthy non-RA individuals produce this auto antibody? I have also been reading various medical journals about Anti-CCP and ran across a few stating that the cut off level for anti-ccp should be lowered in order to detect and treat early cases of RA. Any opinions on this?

My result was 15.6 with <20 being negative for anti-ccp for this particular lab.
Hi there!

Seronegative means the absence of RF, while other antibodies may be present. There are specific titres that make a test specific for RA and low levels or traces of antibodies are considered negative. The cut off titers may be lowered for early detection, but this increases the chance of a false positive and hence usually standard values are used; also since the titres do not correlate well with disease activity. Less than 20 is a negative test.
Hope this information helps.

Take care!