Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community
Anti-CCP

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a form of arthritis that causes pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of function in your joints. It can affect any joint but is common in the wrist and fingers. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Anti-CCP

I was diagnosed with Seronegative RA in April. One of the blood tests performed has me curious. The Anti-CCP. If there are no auto antibodies detected in the blood shouldn't the result of the test be 0? If any trace of anti-ccp is found shouldn't the test be positive? Or do some healthy non-RA individuals produce this auto antibody? I have also been reading various medical journals about Anti-CCP and ran across a few stating that the cut off level for anti-ccp should be lowered in order to detect and treat early cases of RA. Any opinions on this?

My result was 15.6 with <20 being negative for anti-ccp for this particular lab.
Hi there!

Seronegative means the absence of RF, while other antibodies may be present. There are specific titres that make a test specific for RA and low levels or traces of antibodies are considered negative. The cut off titers may be lowered for early detection, but this increases the chance of a false positive and hence usually standard values are used; also since the titres do not correlate well with disease activity. Less than 20 is a negative test.
Hope this information helps.

Take care!