Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community
Back / Hip Pain

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a form of arthritis that causes pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of function in your joints. It can affect any joint but is common in the wrist and fingers. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Back / Hip Pain

I was hoping someone could help! I am a 35 Year Old Female. For about 2 and a half years now, I have been having pain in my lower back and hio. My ortho sent me for an MRI and he said I had Spondylolisthesis. He treated it with Physical Therapy (which didn't work) and with Pain meds. He retired about a year and a half ago and I can't find someone who will treat me because its a "Chronic Condition. I was finally sent to a pain clinic. The Dr there wants me to have Facet injections and I am so afraid to try that. I have had some cortisone injections that have done nothing. I went back to my Family Practitioner who said it sounds like I could also have a touch of arthritis in my back and hips so she set up an appt for me to see a rhrumatologist. Anyone experience anything like this? It no that I want pain meds but that seems like the only thing that helped. I am in so much pain! When I did have the pain meds I would only take 1/2 a pill at a time instead of a whole one that was prescribed. I haven't asked any Dr for them because they make you feel like your a drug addict! lol Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Kristen
Hey Kristen!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms, though possibilities such as degeneration, arthritis, inflammation, neuro-muscular causes etc would need to be considered as well. I would suggest an evaluation by an orthopedician or a rheumatologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile I would advise taking rest. OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for symptomatic relief as well.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Because the hip joint is *the* major weight bearing joint in your body, pain in this area can be particularly debilitating. Because like the song says, "the hip bone's connected to the...etc.", pain in one area can seem to spread to other areas so it becomes like the chicken and the egg. Did hip degeneration lead to back pain? Or did back pain lead to hip pain?

Much also depends on exactly where you are experiencing the hip pain. If the pain is primarily in the groin area (the crease where your thigh meets your body), that's your hip joint. If it's primarily on the side and back of your hip (like down in your butt), the source could be the bursa where the muscle and tendon structures come together. Lie flat, relax, and have someone "roll" your thigh from side to side. If it's your hip joint, you'll feel it in your groin area.

Pain in your hip or back changes the way you sit, stand, walk, even lie down, so eventually the surrounding areas will start to hurt as well.

I would seek a second and even third opinion if you can, and go from there. In the mean time, continue with your PT exercises and regular doses of NSAIDs. Take them exactly as directed, because the key to their effectiveness is keeping a steady amount in your bloodstream.  I understand your fear of the pain medication, but again, take it EXACTLY as directed or it won't do you any good. I'm cautious with it, too, the though I've taken Rx pain meds many times after surgeries, I have never become addicted. You have a healthy respect for the dangers of the meds, so I don't think you'll randomly become addicted.

Good luck!!