Bad fall, can it worsen RA?
Newly diagnosed 54 year old woman with RA, found out Monday. RA Factor 110 (normal 0-30) C-Peptide 48.9 (normal below 20). Erosions in the hands and feet found on xray, degenerative disc disease found in C4, C5 and C6.

Started Prednisone last week after my initial visit, 3 week course. Have prescriptions waiting for me at the pharmacy for Methotrexate and Folic Acid.

I tripped over my dog in the dark Tuesday night and fell head first down the stairs to the first floor, 10 or 12 steps. Took an ambulance to the local ER. After multiple xrays of everything that was hurting, a Cat Scan of my head and some staples in my scalp I was sent home, a bloody mess, with no fractures and some lame pain pills. I'm in such pain that I can barely move. Swelling all over my left side from my head, face, back, rib cage (OMG), left foot and toes and my big toe on my right foot. Bruises and contusions everywhere and a black eye. New report says possible fracture in a toe that is one of the things that doesn't hurt. Sheesh!

Anyway, holding off on the Methotrexate and Folic Acid until I'm hopefully less sore as I can't imagine throwing up with my ribs in this much pain. Not sure how I'm going to react to the Methotrexate and don't want to take any chances.

I have a few questions...

Can a bad fall worsen or make RA more agressive? Do I need to report this fall to my Rheumatologist?

I haven't talked to my Rheumatologist since my diagnosis, I was told over the phone by his nurse, my next appointment isn't until September 4th. According to my blood test results above, is my case agressive or mild?

Debbie
Hey Debbie!

A fall would not do anything to the RA, except that it may aggravate the symptoms due to increased inflammation if there have been injuries. You may consider discussing this with your rheumatologist, just to be updated on the management plan.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
According to your blood work results, your RA is aggressive.