Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community
Could it be RA

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a form of arthritis that causes pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of function in your joints. It can affect any joint but is common in the wrist and fingers. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Could it be RA

Hi,  just joined i was diagnosed with Fibro 5yrs ago - had loads of flare ups and my condition has just got worse and worse. Recently i have been having loads of low back pain and what feels like  deep pain in bones of my buttocks. I cant get up in morning without screaming in pain - trying to sit up - and during the night i am woken almost every half hour by pain in my shoulders back, butt , calf and ankle I have swelling around most large joints and meds i take are lyrica/gabapentin/diazepam/morphine mst/oramorph/celoxib and others..... my bloods jusst come back with esr 39 crp 19
do you think in your opinion i could have RA my doc has just referred me to rheumy appt should be soon i hope.
but after having last 5yrs with fibro and then this on top i have had enough - finding life very difficult.
I am convinving myself its RA and i hope it is cos at last i will have a diagnosis instead of every ache and pain beng blamed on Fibro and all my doc (GP) as i live in uk does is increase morphine meds and they dont really help with this pain at all....
Imelda
I'm sooo sorry to here of your everyday pain and discomfort! I was diagnosed with fibromylagia (fibromyalgia) about 4 years ago so I can relate to what you're going through. I have insomnia, restless legs, fatigue, total body muscle aches, tendon pain, and confusion (probably from lack of sleep).
I've tried Lyrica, nerotonin, and some other meds...I don't function well on them so my doctor prescribes Tramdol, Vicodin, and xanix, which I don't take very often. I know it's hard to be in pain every day 24/7, some days being worse than others. Hang in there and know that I'm thinking about you and hoping that everyday is better than the last!
I hope you don't have RA, althought RA shows up on a test it also causes severe joint damage unlike fibro. A friend of mine is taking multiple meds to slow down the progession of RA, most of which are really hard on the body.
You sound like you're on the road I was. My joint pains started after I had my daughter. I was about 24 when i first started having pain and swelling in my right hand. I went from doctor to doctor. The pains then spread to knees, hips, feet, toes, shoulders, elbows.... Several of the doctors all wanted to write it off as Fibro, but that mainly involves muscle pains, but this was deep joint pain I was experiencing. I had at least 2 doctors tell me I was depressed and put me on antidepressants. ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! I've experienced deep, dark depression when I was a teenager and this was nothing like that! I was on Cymbalta, Elivl, and others. None of them helped and personally I think Cymbalta should be taken off the market! I couldnt function at all on that crap! Finally I found a doctor that would listen to ME. I did all the blood test 7-12 vials at a time! Everything came back within normal levels but most were on the far ends of 'normal'. The rheumatologist that I saw decided to treat me for RA anyway, and I'm glad he did! About 6-8 weeks into tx I started to feel better! It took a while to find the right med though. I started on Plaquenil, then some others before finally to Methotrexate and Folic acid. That seemed to work the best for me! But I have the same joint pain in the buttock area that you talked about. So yeah, your pain sounds like RA and I would get on meds as soon as possible. Otherwise you're going to end up with serious joint damage. i've been off my meds for 2 1/2 years b/c I lost my insurance, and my RA has gotten SO much worse! I'm about 150% worse than I ever was! In just 2 short years my joint pain has increased, and now the bones in my hand are starting to deform. I've tried to get on Medicaid but I make too much :( My god-father is a doctor and he's going to make a few calls for me to find a doctor that will tx me.