Hep C and RA
Anyone out here there successfully treated for Hep C and now undergoing RA treatment?  Currently on Plaquenil.....lots of discomfort in hands, wrists, and feet accompanied by intense swelling.  I just started another round of Predisone.  I know the first 2 yrs are key to long-term health and I want to push hard to obtain remission.

Dilemma - RA drugs are immunosuppressant’s and my Dr. is concerned that (a)  I may, once again, have a false/negative and the virus may have reactived or (b)she is concerned any additional treatment may "trigger" the Hep C Virus due to the RA drugs.  

Thanks!
Hi there!

Well yes, RA medications are mostly immune suppressant which may be detrimental to Hepatitic C status. Well, management in such cases should be designed to strike the right balance between the two. Disease modifying drugs with relatively lower immunosuppressant action would be advisable in such situation along with anti-viral medications, if suggested. It would be best to discuss the situation and the management course with your treating infectious disease specialist and rheumatologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for taking your time to respond
hi i underwent hep.c treatment in 2010,hep.c is still in remission.i started plaquenil 4 months ago for r.a. and lupus not felling well at all.pain in knees,wrist,sholder,feet and chest,hoping i will fell better but we will see.
I hope you start feeling well too....I'm looking at Remicade right now