Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community
High Positive Rheumatoid arthritis factor at 22?

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a form of arthritis that causes pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of function in your joints. It can affect any joint but is common in the wrist and fingers. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

I've been tested for RA, about four times and it always comes back high. I was referred to an Rheumatoid nurse and she evaluated me and said it was a false positive and that I was healthy. I explained to her that sometimes my hands feel weak and my left feet sometimes feel like Its about to give out..she said it could be due to my hypothyroidism and that I was fine and healthy and sent me on my way. I don't have pain or anything like that. I just sometimes get red around my breast bone and sore and my doctor said it wasn't related to RA, but something else. Now I went to a new doctor, because I always feel tired and didn't believe my thyroid was being treated properly and he said my RA was really high and want me to see another Rheumatologist and he seem very concerned and worried. He just want to make sure, I know. My Dad has some form of arthritis, but not bad and he had it a long time, but doesn't take meds for it. I'm worried and confused can some explain an RA factor to me, why would I test positive if I'm negative and why is it so high?
Hi there!

Elevated levels of RF alone without clinical or radiological signs is unlikely to be due to RA; while elevated levels could also occur in other few other autoimmune conditions, chronic hepatitis, primary biliary cirrhosis, chronic viral infections, bacterial endocarditis, leukemia, dermatomyositis, infectious mononucleosis etc. It would be best to discuss the situation in detail with a rheumatologist, after a detailed clinical evaluation.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!