Pain management
I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis when I was 18 years old. I'm now 62. I have been on, or tried, just about everything out there for pain relief from "gold" treatments back in the 70's to no doubt every pill and potion you've all tried.
I finally told my rheumatologist I was done with all the stuff he'd tried out on me over the years, none of which did much more than give me temporary relief. (I also have some cardiac issues which prevents me from taking some of the meds currently on the market)
I asked for a narcotic medication to use PRN. (as needed) He refused. Wouldn't even discuss it.
I am not concerned about the possible addictive qualities of these types of drugs. Reading the patient information literature for ANY of the available pain relief options would scare anybody away.

Before I go off on a rant, my question. Is there anyone here who manages their pain with a narcotic pain medication? Am I the only one in the entire universe who sees this as an option even after you consider the benefits and the risks?

Do patients NOT have a right in how they (we) want to manage our pain? I feel I am being treated like an uneducated fool who has no idea what I'm asking.

I would really appreciate some thoughts/advice/experience on this subject.
Thank you so much
Hi there!

While narcotic medications are quite effective in pain relief, these are often used only for temporary relief or in terminal illnesses and are not advisable for regular use. Patients have the right to refuse a treatment suggestion, but not the right to take prescription medications as per their will. This has to be discussed and agreed upon by a medical practioner (In simple works, the legal risk is shifted from the patient to the medical practioner). I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!