Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community
RA Patient having neurological problems--need guidance

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a form of arthritis that causes pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of function in your joints. It can affect any joint but is common in the wrist and fingers. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

I am a 42 year old female and a Rheumatoid Arthritis patient of 16 years.  Lately I have had several falls, bumping into things, weakness in my legs and arms; numbness/tingling in my feet, legs, hands, and face.  When I walk a long while (5 minutes), my lower back locks up and seizes and pain shoots down both my legs and I am frozen.  I am currently walking with a cane.  A neurologist suspecting MS or Devic's disease and ran an MRI (brain, thoracic, and lumbar) with clean results.  He is referring me to a specialist who deals with neuromuscular diseases.  Has anyone encountered this problems before?  Do you have any idea what might be the problem?
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include peripheral neuro-muscular issues, neuro-degenerative conditions, spinal causes, nerve impingement/ compression, inflammation, vascular causes, micronutrient deficiencies etc. Since a neurological examination has been fine, I would recommend going ahead with the neuro-muscular examination. After a cause is diagnosed, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Hi there!

Hope this helps.

Take care!
Thank you Dr. Kaul for the response.  I understand better what the possibilities are and will discuss with my rheumatologist as to the next step in visiting the specialist the neurologist suggested.

Thanks again!

I have Rhematoid Arthritis and was having a hard time getting up.I was crawling around on the floor in pain then I went to a pain specialist.The RA has eaten away at my spinal area and I have 5 degenerate  disc.I recieve pain meds and shots in my back.I'm able to walk again without help.I hope you get he help you need...God Bless.
have liver disease...getting ready to go on transplant list...lately have been having problems with my hands....mostly my thumbs..they will contort in the the wierdest angles to my hands.  sometimes the whole hand and all the fingers contort at wild angles and it is extremely painful.  could this be arthtitis or part of my liver disease.  Will manually have to straighten the fingers out and then if not near warm water will sit on them until they start relaxing.  I take Klor-con and zinc to maintain potasium levels because I was getting awful charley horses in my sleep.  Any suggestions?