Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community
RA induced Pneumonia

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a form of arthritis that causes pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of function in your joints. It can affect any joint but is common in the wrist and fingers. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

RA induced Pneumonia

I was diagnosed with pneumonia; and because there is no bacterial infection and because the RA factor was very high they say the RA caused it.  I am currently taking prednisone and very slowly lungs are clearing.  I am not being treated for RA as it pretty much has been dormant plus I was diagnosed with Lymes, so this may be related as well. Who knows?  I was released from the hospital last week and a follow up visit with Doctor next week.
I am truly not understanding this, googled the info and come up with nothing.  
Any information on this is so appreciated, thank you!!!!
Tags: RA, pneumonia
I meant to add this to my discussion...
My questions, anyone here experience this?  Does anyone know the outcome, and what should be done for the future as far as it not coming back?  Any information on this is so appreciated, thank you!!!!
Hi there!

RA may be associated with ILD or pneumonitis and management may be aimed at anti-inflammatory medications, as suggested by your treating doctor. Pneumonitis is not an uncommon association of RA and while future episodes cannot be forecasted, prevention may require prolonged medications; which would not be suggested in the absence of any other symptoms and hence the episodes are best treated individually. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you!!!