Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community
Referral for RA... worried with questions and concerns!

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a form of arthritis that causes pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of function in your joints. It can affect any joint but is common in the wrist and fingers. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

I've been having intermittent pain in the joints of my hands for the last six months, and two doctors now have referred me to a rheumatologist for evaluation for RA. Right now the pain is centered most prominently in the middle and ring finger of my right hand (although twinging happens in both hands and wrists), and this morning I rested my chin on the lower part of my middle finger and it came away bruised! I'm freaking out a little bit (understatement) while waiting for my appointment (still a few weeks to go), and I'm hoping some of you here might have some words of advice.

I'm only 29 years old and am very active with biking, jogging, hiking, etc... I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (dx last December) and the joint pain started AFTER treatment with thyroid meds. I had no symptoms of hypothyroidism until my TSH (thyroid stim. hormome) numbers were normal while on this drug this spring and summer. I've had a genetic test that shows I'm at higher risk for RA than most people, and my dad says his grandmother had it and his father may have had it. I'm hoping it's the thyroid meds, but I know it's a possibility that I have RA or some other autoimmune something, and this bruising today from resting my chin on my lightly swollen finger is scaring me...

Any thoughts? Words of advice? Experience?

Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, progressive, inflammatory, multi-system, autoimmune disorder, commonly affecting multiple joints. Bruising may indicate a low platelet count and these needs to be checked immediately. So do consult your Doctor. Natural remedies for rheumatoid arthritis can be tried. Fibre is very important and should be included in the daily diet. Eat lots of fresh organic vegetables and fruits, fish (especially wild salmon and halibut), raw organic nuts and seeds and whole grains. Daily, gentle stretching exercises will increase movement and ease pain. Massage, hot tubs will also help.
Take care and good luck.